Magical Express without Flying....

BelleofDE

Original Poster
I had a crazy idea pop in my head the other night. I am terrified of flying so I always drive to WDW. I was thinking of renting a car for my next trip instead of putting 2,000 miles on my car again. It would make more sense to rent a car one way each way so I wouldn't have to pay for a car every day sitting in WDW's parking lot. But rental places only do one way rentals from airport to airport. I was thinking that we could just grab Magical Express from the airport to our resort and back to the airport at the end of the trip. So I guess my question in all this is can you take Magical Express without actually flying into the airport?

Rob562

There is no requirement that you actually arrive on a plane in order to take DME, nor that you're leaving on a plane to take it back to the airport. While 99.9% of the DME passengers to this, sometimes people spend a night at an airport hotel on arrival or departure.

The one thing you won't be able to use is the yellow DME luggage tags for luggage delivery. But you can just bring your bags on the bus with you (or even have dropped them off at the hotel before going to the airport).

To do this, it's better to call DME directly to set it up as the CMs working at CRO don't usually know what to do. Or, you can look up a flight that would be close to when you'd need to use DME (factoring in the 3-hour-before-flight pickup on departure) and give them that info.

But all that being said, what rental company are you looking at using? Make sure to check the prices for the on-property rental locations. Alamo and National at Car Care Center and Dolphin, and most other major companies have desks along Hotel Plaza Blvd. A slightly higher price might be worth eliminating the hassle of dealing with DME.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom