1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Magical Express & Day Guest question

Discussion in 'Ground & Air Transportation' started by MS327, Nov 7, 2017.

1. MS327

MS327 New Member

My husband has a conference coming up in Orlando (not at Disney) so I thought it would be a good opportunity to make a vacation out of it. He would be attending classes each morning from Thursday through Saturday, so we planned for him to meet us at the parks in the afternoons. I booked a package (hotel, dining and tix) for us and our two children for 6 days/5 nights. About 2 weeks after we purchased the package and flights, we find out that my husband is speaking at the conference on Sunday and that his company is requiring him to stay at the hotel where the conference is located for various company meetings and networking events. So, basically, he will be busy all day from Thursday to Sunday. We arrive on Wednesday and leave on Monday. Our agent suggested we cancel our original package since the only day my husband could even go to the parks would be Wednesday. Therefore, paying for a dining package and a 5 day park ticket for him would be wasting money. We rebooked with just myself and the kids on the package and a 1 day park ticket for my husband. I figured we would all arrive on Wednesday, go to Magic Kingdom together and then my husband would leave Thursday morning for the conference, stay there until Sunday night, come back and stay with us for that night and then we would all leave together Monday morning.

But, I just now realized - he can't ride Magical Express, can he? He's no longer on our hotel room reservation. I can't add him back since we have the package, unless we want to pay for him to be on the package, right? I read somewhere that you can add a "day guest" to the reservation when you get to the hotel, but if he is with us at the airport, that won't help him onto the ME correct?

If he can't get on ME, is a cab the best alternative? We have always done ME, so I have no idea how much that would cost to and from the hotel and airport. We are staying at AofA. What about Mears? They have a round trip option as well, don't they?

LOL, my husband isn't super crazy about WDW, so if I can't get him on the ME, he is going to be really annoyed at this little "idea" of mine!

2. Weather_Lady

Weather_Lady Well-Known Member

This is a question best asked of your TA. Perhaps she can contact Disney and see if there's a workaround in this unusual situation -- such as pre-registering your husband as a "day guest" before you arrive.

If your DH can't do DME, the cheapest way for him (or all of you) to get to Disney from the airport would be Uber/Lyft. If you can avoid surge pricing, the fare for Lyft Plus or UberXL (seats up to 6, or 4 with carryons) would be about $50 each way; Lyft or UberX (for a smaller party) would be more like $35, each way. A towncar is another option, and would run you about $70-$90 each way depending on which company you chose, with a few dollars' discount if you book roundtrip rather than one-way. Your DH might inquire as to whether his employer will be compensating employees for their travel-related expenses, as well, to see whether part of the cost of traveling to Disney from the airport (which presumably, brings him closer to the conference hotel) might be compensable, in part, by the employer.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  3. MS327

MS327 New Member Original Poster

Thank you for the info Weather Lady!

I did originally ask my TA, and she just said she thinks if we go to the counter at MCO and explain, they will let him on with no issues. I just am not comfortable taking that risk. In my experience over the years, if there is not a typical protocol for an issue, it depends on the CM on whether or not they allow something. The last thing I want to do is get there and spend our only day with my husband trying to figure out how to get him to WDW, LOL. I was hoping enough people have had a similar situation that the CMs would know what to do in that case and it wouldn't be an issue.

Mears has a roundtrip option for about $30, but I find the Mears drivers/customer service unreliable and sometimes downright rude when going from WDW to the airport with the ME voucher, so I'm not sold on them being a great option. My two main reasons for wanting ME is it's "free" and because we don't have to get our luggage. My youngest isn't always a great traveler, so the last thing I want to do is deal with luggage and such after getting off the plane, but Uber or Lyft might be our best option just to avoid any long delays and such! His company said they would compensate him up to $35 each way.

4. DisneyJoe

DisneyJoe Well-Known Member

Incorrect! Disney's agreement with MCO and the taxi services/union prevents this. Only those listed on a reservation can use DME.

Bullseye1967 likes this.
  5. Polydweller

Polydweller Well-Known Member

Exactly. They are allowed to operate as a resort transfer service, not a bus service. So, they can only transfer between MCO and your resort. Not a resort guest then no transfer.

6. TheMouseFan

TheMouseFan Well-Known Member

You could always call DME directly and see what they tell you. 866-599-0951

7. dreamfinder

dreamfinder Well-Known Member

You can indeed add them as a day guest. You would need to do this at the resort desk after you check in. Once they have been added, you can then all DME to have them get transportation booked. However, if you are looking to have him with you on the first day, then you wouldn't be able to do this. I'd question booking the package in the first place. You can get tickets for cheaper through 3rd party, and unless you are saving a bundle through the dining plan, it's not worth it. If you change it to a room only booking then there is no harm to adding him, you can all take DME to/from the airport, and he just needs to do his transport from your hotel to the conference hotel.