Magical Express and Young Children

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Has anyone taken Magical Express with young children who'd normally be in a car seat? We initially were planning on buying a new vehicle and driving, but we got such a good deal on air that we've decided to fly. I'm having our travel agent update our reservation for Magical Express, but DH is now thinking we might want to rent a car so that the girls ride in their car seats (since I've read car seats are not permitted on Magical Express). Anybody have any thoughts on this???

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If they're very young they can sit in your lap. If they're big enough to sit on a couch at home they can just sit in a seat.

erstwo

We have ridden Magical Express several times when both of our children were in car seats (1 child is still in a car seat.) You can not install a car seat on the Magical Express bus. As far as I remember, there are no seat belts whatsoever.

I understand your reservations about putting your small children on a bus without a car seat.

We've had the same concerns, but we routinely use Disney's internal bus system to get from the resort to the parks (with no seat belts obviously) so to us this is no different. Monorails, buses, subway trains, etc. - all have no restraints but all are considered to be statistically safe ways to travel.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
As for how young- the girls will be 2 and 4 at the time of travel. The younger one will turn 2 just before the trip and the older one who will be 4 this coming week is tiny.

Good point on the various types of mass transit without seat belts, etc.

Not renting a car would certainly keep costs down and be one less thing we'd have to deal with- not to mention the hassle of checking carseats BUT that parental concern keeps creeping into my mind. :brick:Thanks for the thoughts on this. :wave:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I would not worry about it. As long as they remain seated on the bus they should be ok. You sitting in the aisle seat would keep them in their seat for the most part. From what I remember, the bus seats are even more confining than airplane seats.

God forbid there is a collision, barring the bus rolling over you would likely barely feel it given the size and mass of the ME bus.

NewfieFan

I've taken my children on DME many times while they were still car seat age... and I never thought twice about it! Most mass transit systems don't have child safety seats and statistically they are safer.

Even now my children are still both in booster seats at home... and while I wouldn't back out of the driveway if they weren't in their boosters, I'm perfectly fine with them on DME or any Disney transportation for that matter.

French Quarter

It is much safer for passengers to not be strapped in if the bus gets into an accident. That's why there are no seat belts and that's why kiddos should not be in car seats.

kerrie

both of my kids are in car seats and i told them they had to sit on their bottoms and sit very still because the bus didnt have straps to keep themsafe. they did pretty good thery are 2 &4

ErickainPA

We have taken our kids at 7 months (son), 1yr and 2 yrs (all 3 kids) and will again when they are 3 and 4 (this October, all 3 kids) We have never had an issue with the kids on the buses (we have twins that are younger than their brother)

foreverbelle

I too agree think that they should be fine. My son was 18 months and we just put him in our laps. I felt very confident and safe with it...I wouldn't worry at all. Save the money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom