MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

cjkeating

I don't have the date for Crush's Coaster but it was done, however the blue show building was not painted and I'm surprised that hasn't been done so far as Studio 1/2/3 have all been repainted.
DLP must have heard me as scaffolding is going up on the Crush show building. Photo credit to DLPicsou on Twitter.

9713871A-0A95-4F6C-99D3-D82F3E8D111C.jpeg

LondonTom

They really have been putting a lot of effort into all these little things during all this craziness and its so great to see!

Planet Hollywood TLC is great to see, it was showing a lot of age and actually a bit more TLC around the whole of Disney Village would do it alot of good in not looking so tired and defunct.

cjkeating

They really have been putting a lot of effort into all these little things during all this craziness and its so great to see!

Planet Hollywood TLC is great to see, it was showing a lot of age and actually a bit more TLC around the whole of Disney Village would do it alot of good in not looking so tired and defunct.
One day we'll get Disney Village 2.0... it just seems DV has (maybe quite rightly) been last in the queue behind 1) Hotel refurbishments 2) Experience Enhancement Plan 3) WDSP Studios 2.0

Sir_Cliff

One day we'll get Disney Village 2.0... it just seems DV has (maybe quite rightly) been last in the queue behind 1) Hotel refurbishments 2) Experience Enhancement Plan 3) WDSP Studios 2.0
Even so, they could still keep what's there looking clean and fresh.

That whole area is a real mystery to me. I never experienced it myself, but the original Festival Disney with the lights strung up overhead and the neon signs looks a million miles better than what they have now. It seems like FD/DV has been in a long downward spiral since opening. The recent artwork is also fairly uninspiring. Is there a reason they got rid of features like the lights overhead that doesn't come across in the photos?

cjkeating

That whole area is a real mystery to me. I never experienced it myself, but the original Festival Disney with the lights strung up overhead and the neon signs looks a million miles better than what they have now. It seems like FD/DV has been in a long downward spiral since opening. The recent artwork is also fairly uninspiring. Is there a reason they got rid of features like the lights overhead that doesn't come across in the photos?
The lights were a maintenance issue and during the 'dark times' if it wasn't an easy fix it was either left broken or removed. If they were there today I have confidence that DLP would maintain them and with LEDs they would be far more reliable anyhow.

Most of Disney Village is well maintained it just looks dated. I'm not sure what the arrangements are with a 3rd party but if you are Planet Hollywood and know your restaurant is always going to be bulldozed 'next year' would you opt to pay to repaint your building? It wouldn't surprise me if DLP are doing this for them for free.

Toni25

Never did I quite understand the design concept considering the context.
I'm aware Frank Gehry is a genius, but the Village never looked quite right to me? Even seeing photos from opening day.
Concept art looked amazing, but so inapropriate for the context?
What I mean is...something about an Industrial abandoned Metro station turned Berlin style techno festival ground just doesn't scream Disney to me. It always felt like a hot mess.

Weirdly, I am both attracted to it because I love these kinds of things 😂 but not when I want to leashe out the inner kid in me at Disney.

Sir_Cliff

Never did I quite understand the design concept considering the context.
I'm aware Frank Gehry is a genius, but the Village never looked quite right to me? Even seeing photos from opening day.
Concept art looked amazing, but so inapropriate for the context?
What I mean is...something about an Industrial abandoned Metro station turned Berlin style techno festival ground just doesn't scream Disney to me. It always felt like a hot mess.

Weirdly, I am both attracted to it because I love these kinds of things 😂 but not when I want to leashe out the inner kid in me at Disney.
I can understand that, even if I like what I've seen of the photos! I feel a little the same way about the Hotel New York. I get the concept, but I'm not entirely sure it works as a Disney hotel.

I don't really fault Eisner pushing for ambitious architectural statements to be woven into the first Disney resort he oversaw. Beyond Eisner's own enthusiasm for architecture, this seemed reasonably appropriate considering the resort's location and the popularity of postmodern architecture at the time which was, in part, inspired by Disney theme park architecture. The ambition, even if it wasn't always successful, is at least laudable. That said, maybe they lost sight a little of what people like about Disney theming with these projects, particularly Hotel New York which I don't think really worked on any level. Hotel Santa Fe I quite like, but I think it falls into the same category for most!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I can understand that, even if I like what I've seen of the photos! I feel a little the same way about the Hotel New York. I get the concept, but I'm not entirely sure it works as a Disney hotel.

I don't really fault Eisner pushing for ambitious architectural statements to be woven into the first Disney resort he oversaw. Beyond Eisner's own enthusiasm for architecture, this seemed reasonably appropriate considering the resort's location and the popularity of postmodern architecture at the time which was, in part, inspired by Disney theme park architecture. The ambition, even if it wasn't always successful, is at least laudable. That said, maybe they lost sight a little of what people like about Disney theming with these projects, particularly Hotel New York which I don't think really worked on any level. Hotel Santa Fe I quite like, but I think it falls into the same category for most!
Annoyingly everyone else said go with the Orleans idea for DV. Eisner went with the power station warehouse combo.

J4546

even though this has nothing to do with planet hollywood, it for some reason made me think of midievil times. Anyone ever been there? I remember going as a kid and loving it.

LondonTom

That said, maybe they lost sight a little of what people like about Disney theming with these projects, particularly Hotel New York which I don't think really worked on any level. Hotel Santa Fe I quite like, but I think it falls into the same category for most!
I always have a soft spot for the original Hotel New York, as it was the hotel I stayed at most. Again something that was starting to look dated way before the refurb but the bar had an excellent atmosphere/almost a speakeasy vibe to it, I enjoyed the pool for what is a pretty simple pool area too (the terrace rooms near it were the best to get!). Most of all, it had that brilliant appley smell that hit you as soon as you walked in!

Den Carter

even though this has nothing to do with planet hollywood, it for some reason made me think of midievil times. Anyone ever been there? I remember going as a kid and loving it.
It's tired. Very, very tired. And the food is, at best, edible. On the whole Disney Village dining, like most dining at DLP, sucks. They have the most stunning park, the best versions of BTM, SM, PotC (I haven't been to Shanghai) and world-class entertainment, but good food at DLP is hard to find. This PH brings the food quality average down even more than if it were simply bulldozed!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom