MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

cjkeating

Well, judging by what space mountain has become, i think i’m happy most of it stayed the way it was intended to be.

Exactly... the worst area of Disneyland Park is Discoveryland simply because they have rethemed/replaced two attractions with off-theme inferior replacements. Thankfully this has happened in the other lands.

If the 1992 pre-planned expansions had happened and nothing else it would be untouchable as a 'pure' Magic Kingdom park.

Evilgidgit

Exactly... the worst area of Disneyland Park is Discoveryland simply because they have rethemed/replaced two attractions with off-theme inferior replacements. Thankfully this has happened in the other lands.

If the 1992 pre-planned expansions had happened and nothing else it would be untouchable as a 'pure' Magic Kingdom park.

Discoveryland is still beautiful to behold, but unfortunately it has been spoilt by the IP shoving. Tony Baxter said that Discoveryland was a collection of "futures that never were". That works with Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and even George Lucas in some respects. But how does Buzz Lightyear fit into that? And Space Mountain is now "Hyperspace Mountain", with the Star Wars overlay. But, you see the amazing mountain with its intricate details and the space cannon, and someone who has no pre-knowledge of the attraction's original theme, will ask "What has this got to do with Star Wars?" or vice versa. It hurts the theming and overall story a bit.

Brummyboy92

Discoveryland is spectacular, and does not suffer from the "trying to keep up with the future" problem, that other resorts encounter.

Really irritates me seeing Buzz & Star Wars in the land, as it has nothing to do with the overarching theme. It's not needed either, the original Space Mountain was the catalyst for Paris's success, no IP, just something amazing inside and out, relevant to Jules Verne theme. Even more frustrating is that there is still more to play with, & they could have easily incorporated existing attractions, fitting them in with the theme. For instance a Soarin attraction, themed after the Around the World in 80 Days Jules Verne novel. Or a Mission Space attraction(not a personal fan of this ride), themed after the novel From the Earth to the Moon.

These kinds of attractions are not only exciting, but are in keeping with its surroundings and the theme of the land. I'm not even anti IP, but in it's current state it spoils it for myself.

Toni25

Discoveryland is spectacular, and does not suffer from the "trying to keep up with the future" problem, that other resorts encounter.

Really irritates me seeing Buzz & Star Wars in the land, as it has nothing to do with the overarching theme. It's not needed either, the original Space Mountain was the catalyst for Paris's success, no IP, just something amazing inside and out, relevant to Jules Verne theme. Even more frustrating is that there is still more to play with, & they could have easily incorporated existing attractions, fitting them in with the theme. For instance a Soarin attraction, themed after the Around the World in 80 Days Jules Verne novel. Or a Mission Space attraction(not a personal fan of this ride), themed after the novel From the Earth to the Moon.

These kinds of attractions are not only exciting, but are in keeping with its surroundings and the theme of the land. I'm not even anti IP, but in it's current state it spoils it for myself.
I have such a fantasy that maybe in 30 years, they might bulldoze down the PhillarMagic Theater that also does not fit...and use the HUGE expansion pad behind to create the DISCOVERY BAY that was also designed by Tony Baxter. I hope at some point, this I.P. trend will die out...or at least they might learn to infuse them correctly to fit the land.

Brummyboy92

I hope so, I don't mind if it works and makes sense. For instance I watched DSNY Newscast video about introducing Wall-E into Epcot yesterday, and not only am I confident that it would work, but it would make sense. As much as I love Toy Story, Star Wars....ish, save it for the Studios.

MKeeler

Agreed, you could create perhaps one of the greatest themed lands that Disney has ever created if they stuck to the Jules Verne/H.G. Wells theme. Imagine if Space Mountain was back to From the Earth to the Moon, Buzz was War of the Worlds, Star Tours was the Time Machine, and then you replace Autopia with Journey to the Center of the Earth from Tokyo, replace Philharmagic with Soarin' Around the World in 80 days, and put 20,000 Leagues from Tokyo in between them. That would give you an excellent attraction roster, highly and appropriately themed, and a huge draw/unique experience for Paris.

And yet, short-sighted IP insertions win the day.

ThemeParkTraveller

cjkeating

I wonder what they plan to do for the 30th anniversary nighttime show that would replace Disney Illuminations.

I'd be happy with a copy and paste of literally any nighttime spectacular they have done since Illumiantions/Ignite the Dream because everything has been slightly to hugely better.

Obviously I would prefer an original show or even an updated Dreams but I can imagine money will be tight after COVID to pay for this.

Twilight_Roxas

Or like Disneyland’s Remember Dreams Come True, and Celebrate Tokyo Disneyland Disneyland Paris’ show could show the attractions, and lands like the Adventureland with Pirates of the Caribbeans, Frontierland with Big Thunder, and Phantom Manor, Fantasyland, Discoveryland with Buzz Lightyear, and Star Tours.

Last edited:

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
This is just my opinion, but in as much as I'd love for Paris to receive a Remember, Dreams Come True or Celebrate! Tokyo Disneyland-style show, I'd rather have them reserve that kind of show for a major milestone anniversary like the 50th anniversary. The time doesn't feel right.

Same with @cjkeating, I'm okay with Dreams returning for the 30th, but hopefully with updated show scenes and technology. I know someone here said that there was a pipeline plan for updating Dreams including having projections on the Main Street buildings, so it would be fun to revisit those plans for the 30th. As long as they don't shoehorn in a Pirates of the Caribbean sequence (and its overused cannons-pointing-to-the-audience projection sequence; how many parks is using that sequence?!), I'll be happy.

Since we're on the topic of new nighttime shows, the Studios will be celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2022 while Disneyland Park next door will be celebrating its 30th. Do you guys think we'll see a brand new nighttime spectacular in the Studios that's not aligned with a seasonal celebration (like Star Wars: A Galactic Celebration during Legends of the Force) as well?

Toni25

This is just my opinion, but in as much as I'd love for Paris to receive a Remember, Dreams Come True or Celebrate! Tokyo Disneyland-style show, I'd rather have them reserve that kind of show for a major milestone anniversary like the 50th anniversary. The time doesn't feel right.

Same with @cjkeating, I'm okay with Dreams returning for the 30th, but hopefully with updated show scenes and technology. I know someone here said that there was a pipeline plan for updating Dreams including having projections on the Main Street buildings, so it would be fun to revisit those plans for the 30th. As long as they don't shoehorn in a Pirates of the Caribbean sequence (and its overused cannons-pointing-to-the-audience projection sequence; how many parks is using that sequence?!), I'll be happy.

Since we're on the topic of new nighttime shows, the Studios will be celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2022 while Disneyland Park next door will be celebrating its 30th. Do you guys think we'll see a brand new nighttime spectacular in the Studios that's not aligned with a seasonal celebration (like Star Wars: A Galactic Celebration during Legends of the Force) as well?
Ironically, Celebrate! Tokyo Disneyland has the same cannon towards the audience sequence 🤣 🤭

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom