MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So will they be presenting some sort of master plan? Or will this whole project be announced piece by piece? It sounds like they still haven't really made up their minds on what to do with the place. With the comments of testing stuff out and adjusting plans throughout. Like this new pub. "We're doing this, but we're gonna change it again eventually" approach. I'd love a Disney Springs or Disneytown Shanghai aesthetic, but I'm getting a bit worried it all will be much more basic looking and less cohesive than that.
Various plans have been bouncing around the web. OutsideEars if I recall had a few.

Last edited:

cjkeating

So will they be presenting some sort of master plan? Or will this whole project be announced piece by piece? It sounds like they still haven't really made up their minds on what to do with the place. With the comments of testing stuff out and adjusting plans throughout. Like this new pub. "We're doing this, but we're gonna change it again eventually" approach. I'd love a Disney Springs or Disneytown Shanghai aesthetic, but I'm getting a bit worried it all will be much more basic looking and less cohesive than that.
Two points:
1) The testing of the facades is simply them installing the first one to Disney Fashion Junior ahead of them doing the rest. How easy is it to install? How long does it take? Does it look as expected? Can improvements be made?
2) The statement about the pub being changed... I understand this is a comment that the facade that will open in February will not be final simply due to the quick turnaround. I don't believe the pub concept is going to change.

Also there is on overall plan however DLP doesn't normally share detailed concept art or models for whatever reason. DV 2.0 is a multi-year project so I think be revealing all now would just get people asking why it isn't done yet. Unlike the Disney Springs remodel they can't close DV as it's the main thoroughfare from the hotels to the park so each building is going to be refurbished one by one. I've heard 2025 as the completion date. I am hoping 'The Royal Pub' and closure of Planet Hollywood also marks the start of the repaving project as that is going to be interesting!

Sir_Cliff

Yes, it's hard to get a feel for what they're really going for with the Disney Village overhaul. So far, everything just looks like they're just replacing things little by little and turning it into an unremarkable suburban pedestrian mall. It at least doesn't appear that they want it to appear like a themed space in the style of Disney Springs nor as an architectural statement as in the original Festival Disney.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Looking at hotel/ticket packages out of curiosity and DLP has gotten WAY more expensive since I last went in 2017.

Are there no deals anymore, or is it rack rate every night now?

Used to be if you booked far in advance and stayed longer, you'd get a great nightly rate. Doesn't seem to be the case now.

The poor exchange rate with the Canadian dollar doesn't help either.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Looking at hotel/ticket packages out of curiosity and DLP has gotten WAY more expensive since I last went in 2017.

Used to be if you booked far in advance and stayed longer, you'd get a great nightly rate. Doesn't seem to be the case now.

Things have changed a lot since 2017 though. Not just at DLP either of course.

Deals are harder to find. Like Orlando, the parent company used Covid as a reason to reevaluate and reset. Forget free nights and free dining, but booking way ahead does get some good prices - especially if you play with the dates. We got a great deal on Sequoia coming soon by booking way ahead. They’re also more aggressive now with time of year, but there is a colour coded price calendar on the website. Length of stay hoppers are still included. Withdraw those and they’d shoot themselves in the foot with the European market.

Swissmiss

Premium Member

Even my AP discount doesn’t bring the prices down to a level I am willing to pay. I have found two nice hotels in Val d’Europe where I usually stay now.

fradz

There are some French websites that have really really good package sales but it’s fairly rare and generally in the off season. Pm me for dates I can look something up for you

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
There are some French websites that have really really good package sales but it’s fairly rare and generally in the off season. Pm me for dates I can look something up for you

Thank you.

I don't really know if/when I can go on vacation this year, I was just browsing out of curiosity on a Sunday afternoon. :)

LondonTom

This is kind of cute, I like there is some attempt to use the shape of the castle rather than just using it as a giant screen.

Occasionally, booking.com will have some decent rates. I've got two stays in March booked (need to cancel one actually 😂) for a more reasonable rate for 5 nights at Sequoia (Which seems to be the best value hotel now), but yeah those just before covid prices really spoilt us.

Combined with certain events in the UK and the £ crashing too, make the prices feel even worse!

It felt viable to be an AP holder and regularly go and stay on site every few months! I wonder how much money they miss out on from people doing that sort of thing? Like I totally get the idea that the very locals AP crowd out the park, without providing more income but slightly further away (especially DLP with its rail connections) who have to stay and eat/drink on site for a few days, must have been spending more than the increases in hotel rates?

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
This is kind of cute, I like there is some attempt to use the shape of the castle rather than just using it as a giant screen.
The in-house projections team in Paris does excellent work, especially when they start from scratch and are given the proper resources. I'm sure they did what they could with any of the lifted/transplanted shows (Dreams of Christmas, Illuminations, the Bonfire fireworks) but it's just not the same when a show is built from the ground up, in-house.

cjkeating

The in-house projections team in Paris does excellent work, especially when they start from scratch and are given the proper resources. I'm sure they did what they could with any of the lifted/transplanted shows (Dreams of Christmas, Illuminations, the Bonfire fireworks) but it's just not the same when a show is built from the ground up, in-house.
I'd love to see the in-house team be given a proper budget to do a new show, hire in some external resource to help them fulfil their vision if required, as I am sure it would hit the mark like most DLP entertainment does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom