MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

LondonTom

Disney has announced a Luca-inspired expansion of Pizzeria Bella Notte Restaurant -

Andiamo! Inspired by the Pixar film, “Luca,” a touch of Italy is coming to Disneyland Paris as work is underway on an expansion of Pizzeria Bella Notte Restaurant.

Since its opening in 1992, Fantasyland has been a vibrant homage to the European fairy tales and storytellers, a timeless place where the magic of animation meets the architectural styles and cultures of the countries they are inspired from. Pizzeria Bella Notte is no exception with its peaceful and romantic atmosphere which pays homage to various regions of Italy. This iconic restaurant features nods to the classic Disney stories “Lady and the Tramp” as well as “Fantasia” and will now be home to another classic that has charmed families around the world: Pixar’s “Luca.”

New 'Luca'-Inspired Restaurant Area coming to Disneyland Paris'Luca'-Inspired Restaurant Area coming to Disneyland Paris

Taking place in the Italian Riviera, “Luca” (streaming on Disney+) tells the story of a young boy experiencing an unforgettable summer filled with gelato, pasta and endless scooter rides. Luca shares these adventures with his newfound best friend, but all the fun is threatened by a deeply held secret: they are sea monsters from another world just below the water’s surface.

Drawing of 'Luca''Luca'

When the opportunity to expand the restaurant arose, Imagineers naturally thought about the fan-favorite sea monster to add to the variety of characters represented in the park. This new themed area will bring a seaside atmosphere with lots of details and objects evoking the local fishing culture and cuisine that you can find in Luca’s hometown of Portorosso, in addition to providing further space for guests to enjoy Italian specialties.

Rendering of New 'Luca'-Inspired Restaurant Area coming to Disneyland Paris'Luca'-Inspired Restaurant Area coming to Disneyland Paris
Rendering of New 'Luca'-Inspired Restaurant Area coming to Disneyland Paris'Luca'-Inspired Restaurant Area coming to Disneyland Paris

“’Luca’ is a beautiful coming-of-age tale that reminds us of the beauty of acceptance, of one another but also from within. Discovering who we are can be a daunting challenge, but friendships can help us on that journey,” shares Tracy Eck, Art Director at Walt Disney Imagineering Paris – Design & Show Quality. “I’m really happy that we are able to bring elements from the story of ‘Luca’ here to Fantasyland.”

Good to see more Quick Service capacity incoming!

Luca and the "seaside" feels a little odd for fantasyland though, even if it is only a quick service expansion. Certainly doesn't feel like the thought that comes "naturally" when thinking about adding to fantasyland.

mrflo

Just realised that Luca might be the first Pixar movie to get some form of permanent presence in any Fantasyland worldwide - apart from Coco sequence in Mickey's PhilharMagic. Maybe Brave's Merida character meet & greet might count as well.

Kevin_W

Just realised that Luca might be the first Pixar movie to get some form of permanent presence in any Fantasyland worldwide - apart from Coco sequence in Mickey's PhilharMagic. Maybe Brave's Merida character meet & greet might count as well.

Yeah, though calling Luca a "classic" might be a bit of a stretch. I'm not sure I know many people that have even seen it. And as much of an animation fan as I am, I can't say that I really enjoyed it much.

Sir_Cliff

Yeah, though calling Luca a "classic" might be a bit of a stretch. I'm not sure I know many people that have even seen it. And as much of an animation fan as I am, I can't say that I really enjoyed it much.
I think that's more a subjective response rather than whether it's a good fit for the space, though. In the US, at least, it was the most-streamed film of 2021 and the critical response to the film was also very positive.

Personally, I think it seems like a good fit for a little Italian area in Fantasyland. I also don't think the seaside setting is any problem; MK has a whole Little Mermaid section and I believe a TLM ride was also the intention for DLP at one point.

cjkeating

I think that's more a subjective response rather than whether it's a good fit for the space, though. In the US, at least, it was the most-streamed film of 2021 and the critical response to the film was also very positive.

Personally, I think it seems like a good fit for a little Italian area in Fantasyland. I also don't think the seaside setting is any problem; MK has a whole Little Mermaid section and I believe a TLM ride was also the intention for DLP at one point.
The building has a Venetian theme which is 'nautical' so I don't think this is a stretch at all. I think 'Italian' is the only requirement really. Maybe a long gone theming element of a gondola in the flower bed outside Bella Notte will make a return with this update.

jrhwdw

DLPs! (That said I haven't seen the new one in person still, vs seeing the previous one many many times which may have something to do with it!)
Dazziling is the best Christmas Parade they've had!, IMO! I'll admit it looks small compared to the US, only 5 Floats. DLP hasn't had a long Christmas parade since before the 15th! When the Reg Parade Floats were used.

I will say that MK might be helped having Dazzling along with MOUACT..........

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
If I am not mistaken, the area between Sir Mickey's Boutique and Fantasia Gelati was supposed to be for a Beauty & the Beast attraction (ala Tiki Room). The changes to Fantasia Gelati - making it an extension of the Pizzeria - should not change that available footprint. However, there is still a larger area opposite of Pizzeria Bella Notte Restaurant and behind Videopolis which was thought to be for the Little Mermaid darkride.

Fantasyland also has an expansion pad by Toad Hall that was at one point suggested for an Mr Toad coaster.

DLP still has lots of expansion pads throughout the park. The question is whether getting a new ride now or in the near future means building a giant box in the middle of the most beautiful Magic Kingdom.

lazyboy97o

Fantasyland also has an expansion pad by Toad Hall that was at one point suggested for an Mr Toad coaster.

DLP still has lots of expansion pads throughout the park. The question is whether getting a new ride now or in the near future means building a giant box in the middle of the most beautiful Magic Kingdom.
I also question Disney’s ability to fit something in some of these spots.

mrflo

If they had the original WDI team around Tony Baxter fill those expansion pads that they had intended, it would be a different story for sure. I loved listening to those guys during the 30th Anniversary panel showcasing the level of thought and sophistication that went into designing the original park

When listening to the DLP Imagineers currently in charge in the same panel, I just do not get the same vibes as with Tony Baxter & Co. I am sure the current Imagineers are trying their best and might be also bound to upper management guidelines and budget restraints. But to me they sound more like corporate project managers rather than the original creative Imagineers. The response "We have ideas!" to Tony Baxter's remark about the expansion pad in Adventureland made me slightly cringe and worry the same time.

So yes, maybe best to not spoil a great original park with some "giant box". I am already glad if they are maintaining the quality level of the original park and not deleting any further elements. I am still missing Le Visionarium or the original Space Mountain.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
So yes, maybe best to not spoil a great original park with some "giant box".

Another advantage to expanding the size of the studios and adding more rides there is they're less likely to spoil the original park as you say.

I don't think the current crop of Imagineers has the talent of the first and second generation of WED/WDI. They might have, had that institutional knowledge been passed down and not thrown out in the early-mid 2000s.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom