MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

Sir_Cliff

I am surprised that IASW would be going down again for such a lengthy refurbishment so soon. Perhaps it's a positive sign that they want to keep up the improved maintenance we've seen in recent years, or maybe there are just significant issues that weren't addressed last time?

trainplane3

Asbestos? Wasnt this built in 1992?
This part of the rehabilitation again raises the question of asbestos, an insulator with interesting thermal characteristics and widely used until the end of the 1980s. This material was indeed banned in France in 1997, ie only a few years. after the opening of Disneyland Paris, due to its carcinogenic effects when fibers are exposed and handled. On the It's a Small World attraction, it was then used in certain parts of the air conditioning system as well as on the metal framework of the building, thus giving the structure better stability in the event of a fire. The modification of the air conditioning system will require the removal of the asbestos. This asbestos removal is obviously anticipated by the teams because the presence of this material is known.

lazyboy97o

If I am remembering correctly Disney had themselves stopped using asbestos in their projects by the late 70s which is why EPCOT never had the in-depth abatement projects we saw at the Phase 1 projects. It’s why they could just tear down Horizons and CommuniCore. That’s what really makes it’s use at Disneyland Paris surprising, is that Disney had voluntarily stopped using asbestos products.

wdrive

If I am remembering correctly Disney had themselves stopped using asbestos in their projects by the late 70s which is why EPCOT never had the in-depth abatement projects we saw at the Phase 1 projects. It’s why they could just tear down Horizons and CommuniCore. That’s what really makes it’s use at Disneyland Paris surprising, is that Disney had voluntarily stopped using asbestos products.

I’m guessing here but I’d presume it was as Disneyland Paris was built by EuroDisney SCA over the Walt Disney Company?

lazyboy97o

I’m guessing here but I’d presume it was as Disneyland Paris was built by EuroDisney SCA over the Walt Disney Company?
There were all kinds of weird hoops and jumps behind the initial legal set up of the resort that I cannot properly recall at the moment. The Walt Disney Company was still the controlling, operating partner in Euro Disney SCA who had even more control during the initial development and the project was designed by Walt Disney Imagineering.

Im really curious to know the real reasoning if this is true. Was it just a matter of cost? Was it still considered standard? Were alternatives not considered viable due to regulations?

Last edited:

cjkeating

I don't know if things are different in the US but asbestos is quite common in buildings in the UK (and probably Europe)? I have worked in many retail stores where asbestos has been present, all the asbestos walls, ceilings, floors are clearly labelled, everyone has training about not distributing it and what to do if it is broken... except for one disaster when a disgruntled employee punched through a wall partition and we had to close the store it has always been a non-issue?

lazyboy97o

I don't know if things are different in the US but asbestos is quite common in buildings in the UK (and probably Europe)? I have worked in many retail stores where asbestos has been present, all the asbestos walls, ceilings, floors are clearly labelled, everyone has training about not distributing it and what to do if it is broken... except for one disaster when a disgruntled employee punched through a wall partition and we had to close the store it has always been a non-issue?
It’s common in existing buildings but new use of asbestos is banned in UK and European Union. The US actually does not have a similar complete ban on asbestos but it is gone from building materials. There have also been efforts to remove asbestos from buildings.

walt-e

I got told that Disney Illumination is actually getting an update! I cannot guarantee that piece of information but, if true, the beauty and the beast scene is being replaced by a Marvel one. Time will tell but we should know it soon enough as the show will return in less than 3 weeks !

Kev1982

I got told that Disney Illumination is actually getting an update! I cannot guarantee that piece of information but, if true, the beauty and the beast scene is being replaced by a Marvel one. Time will tell but we should know it soon enough as the show will return in less than 3 weeks !
Just what DLP needs. More “bought IP” instead of using their own classic content.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Oh god. I thought Illuminations couldn't get worse. 😂
I thought the Star Wars section was very jarring and didn’t fit at all. Getting rid of BatB and throwing Marvel in there now, too? 🤬May as well make it all live action remake content, plus SW and Marvel - It’d be a true Iger-IP-Fest! 🤮🤮🤮

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom