News Magic Kingdom's Main Street Confectionery closing for refurbishment

UNCgolf

I'm glad it's not just me! Sure, M&Ms aren't high-quality chocolate. Baking Skittles into the cupcakes and cookies just seems weird, though.

I think M&Ms are disgusting and Skittles are okay (although I couldn't tell you the last time I had any -- definitely been years), but I completely agree that Skittles have no place in cupcakes or cookies.

dreday3

I dont know... I could see skittles being part of a coconut-lime cookie. Or something else islandy...

Summer. Summer will be the time for skittles to really shine!

ToTBellHop

I don't know what people are expecting the inside of the store to look like, but if you wanted a replica of a 19th century 'main street' candy store, you'd have to visit a museum, not a Disney park.

Take, e.g., the Christmas store in Liberty Square. It is an impossibility since there were no Christmas stores in Colonial times and 99% of the merch in that store is from the modern era. But... it has a Colonial facade!

How about the giant mall on the other side of Main Street with Mickey shirts and other modern merch displayed and decorated like it was a modern store? Where are the complaints that it doesn't look like a ye olde general store on the inside?

How do you have a 19th century candy store interior design when you're selling modern confectionery? Should you be seeing Skittle bags and Milky Way bars in wooden barrels and wicker baskets?

At some point in a theme park you suspend your belief and disbelief and deal with modernity being wedged into a historical setting.

I'm not saying the store should look like it fits in Tomorrowland, but, just enough nods to Main Street in the furniture, architecture, and decorations is plenty for what it is.
I was expecting
1632785620361.gif

matirwin

I was hoping the giant mickey head rice crispy treat would return but sadly I guess its not coming back. I used to buy one at the beginning of my trip and it would last me a long while.

UNCgolf

Also, if Disney was just desperate to sell M&Ms, Skittles, Milky Way bars, etc. there, I'm sure Mars would happily make special packaging for them to fit the theme -- which would probably result in higher sales due to the uniqueness.

Coke did it for Galaxy's Edge, and Augusta National has major brands produce Masters packaging for their concessions.

ToTBellHop

The two top ingredients of Skittles is sugar and corn syrup.
Sure, but take Skittles and add it to a sugar cookie does sound VERY sweet. To be fair, MK desserts are commonly VERY sweet. Complex flavor profiles are left to other parks. A typical MK vanilla cupcake with vanilla buttercream has insane levels of sugar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom