News 'Disney After Hours' ticketed event

That's just it - back when these would have been MK's normal closing hours, there were few lines at the end of the night to begin with. So basically they are recognizing that people don't want to just go sit in their hotel rooms at 7PM on vacation, nor are they all going to flock to DTD night after night (or whatever the heck we are calling the big outdoor mall these days), but just charging for a full-day experience for it.

When you break it down, there is only so much you can do in 3 hours, even with virtually walk-on rides. You still have to walk between them, down the long queues, and wherever they can they will be reducing the number or ride vehicles and staff as much as possible. And don't forget, you have to take time to stop and get that "free" soda, ice cream, and popcorn - likely all in at least two separate lines, probably longer than the attractions. And unless you are going to scarf them together, you'd probably have two such stops, and then eat, and then at least once probably stop for a bathroom break. It's really not very long, just when you consider the logistics of it.

We could sit all day and come up with "best case" scenarios, but of course most people won't have the "best case" experience. I think the reason that some of us are either just shocked or find this almost offensive, but I think it's mostly about worry about what is to come. Even when you compare like to like, the "value" of this ticket is astronomical. Even the 5-hour MK Christmas and Halloween parties are still under a hundred bucks, and have more entertainment (if much less than they used to). A few less attractions, but most the major ones that have long wait times folks want to avoid with a ticket like that are open.

If you look at historic ticket prices for special events like this, and consider how the prices have spiked in the last few years while the benefits and features declining, when you look at the fact that this is an EMH night with some free cheap snacks, it makes one worry how far they are going to go - and where that bubble will burst.

Your analysis is correct. The historic ticket prices show that there has NEVER been inflation enough in the USA, technology or value added to American Disney parks that would back such high increases in the prices of the tickets, food and merchandise. What you missed is that more and more we have allowed companies to charge not by the real value of a product or service; but charge based on the value customers see in products or services. As long as there are people willing to pay, Disney will increase their prices to make as much money as possible. Therefore, unless all Disney buffs stop buying certain tickets, booking hotels and buying stuff, I can't see a way to stop the spiking of prices. But we don't work together. We all have different visions, different needs and bank accounts. There are people who see value on this after hours tickets. Some of them don't mind the need to rush from one attraction to the other, or the fact that only the cheapest of snacks are included. They have no need to take pictures, smell the flowers or share moments with the little ones in the family. They are happy to attack the parks as comandos and go on as many rides as possible. They don't even see that Disney has begun slashing the day and selling parts of it for much more money. As you said, in the past, theme park hours were much longer. Seasonal parades and many special events were included as well. The way things are going, we might end up paying by the hour inside the parks, paying extra for fastpasses, paying to ride the monorail, paying extra for the future gondola system etc. etc. etc.

By the way, thank God for Universal and the others or it would take Disney longer to refurbish their resorts and update parks.

Last edited:

freesvoice

Hopefully more hours than that! Considering it may close at 10 pm or 11pm and go through 1 am or 2am>?
Entry is at 7:00 but I read a good resource that had multiple sources saying they were able to enter as early as 4:00 pm. This is unofficial and I don't recommend trying to game anything just passing along what I read. Mixed info on closing times but midnight seems realistic.

AEfx

Almost $500 for a family of 4.
For 3 hours.

Actually, just over $500...don't forget the tax! By my calculations, $504.56.

So basically $168 bucks an hour.

When you mention the "family of 4" cost, that's exactly where my mind goes when I see the price of anything at WDW "per person". I don't have kids, though I've been on everything from solo trips to groups of 8-10, but that is the 'typical' visitor group things are usually geared around.

When I see numbers like that, I want to say - if you told your kids - "Hey, we can spend three extra hours going on rides at the Magic Kingdom, and eat popcorn and soda and ice cream while we are there, or...we can buy another iPad so you each can use one on the plane (and forever after)..." - which one do you think they would pick?

AEfx

To me it's simple, either pay ~$110 to go during the day with crowds and lines and no food/drink included or pay $119 to go for 4 hours with no crowds or lines and unlimited snacks included. If it makes no sense to you then buy your day ticket and enjoy it that way. Calling it offensive is a bit of a stretch; it's just creating more options for how to Disney. The day I am looking to attend has EMH at MK the day before and the day after to ensure people who don't see the value in the event have their normal options for extra hours.

I didn't "call it offensive" - I said, "some of us are either just shocked or find this almost offensive" because they are essentially charging for something that was once included in everyone's admission, and most of the lines always dwindled to walk-on by the end of the night. So please, settle down a bit on the hyperbole.

That's lovely for you. As I said, there are always going to be scenarios that people find it appealing. Like if you were going to buy a single-day ticket, anyway.

Before you go spending any money, though, you really should read carefully what is included:

"Disney After Hours is offered on select nights from 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM or from 9:00 PM to midnight."

The "exclusive access" and free popcorn/soda/ice cream bars (the more I see that, the more I think stomach ache - people are going to be scarfing all this down and running around at breakneck speeds to get as many rides in as possible) is only for three hours.

Yes, if you ask, Disney will officially start letting people in an hour before. And, in some circumstances (depending conditions) it's not unheard of to let them in earlier. That's great, but remember two things. One, the park will be open to the public and people will be there in throngs trying to get in the most of the day since the park closes so early. And Disney will let people into lines for attractions up until 7:59 or 8:59 when they start checking for bracelets - so even after the official start of the "exclusive" part, ticket holders only will be let into the line, but there are still going to be plenty of people ahead of you inside at the major attractions.

Every review I've read has had people claiming they rode everything they wanted to multiple times and some even left early because they finished everything so quickly. If you're trying to ride all 25 attractions that will be open I'm sure you could put together a hard-core touring plan that could get it done but most people probably have 10-15 which is similar to what you would get done in a day even with fastpasses.

Well, that's what we were discussing elsewhere recently. "Reviews" tend to be terribly biased - either by people who want to feel like they got their money worth and are trying to convince themselves, or got in for free from Disney, or are trying to gain favor with Disney to get perks. And no one has reviewed this batch of events yet as they haven't happened.

I'm not going to waste the time doing all the math, but in three hours of "exclusive" access, there is no way anyone could see that many attractions even if they were magically teleported around.

If you think this offers "value" to you, that's completely your decision - but I really don't think you understand the reality of the product being offered, judging by how many statements you made that are just patently incorrect or impossible.

AEfx

Entry is at 7:00 but I read a good resource that had multiple sources saying they were able to enter as early as 4:00 pm. This is unofficial and I don't recommend trying to game anything just passing along what I read. Mixed info on closing times but midnight seems realistic.

There is absolutely no "mixed info" on closing times.

Read the official WDW description of the tickets.

"Disney After Hours is offered on select nights from 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM or from 9:00 PM to midnight."

It's pretty clear the exact times.

As I said above, they will probably allow guests to start entering an hour earlier officially (and sometimes unofficially earlier) but you are going to be in a super-crowded park with all kinds of people who are trying to get rides in before the ridiculously early closing times, and they will also be allowed to get into lines for attractions up until the moment the "event" starts. But the duration of the event is set in stone.

MuteSuperstar

When I see numbers like that, I want to say - if you told your kids - "Hey, we can spend three extra hours going on rides at the Magic Kingdom, and eat popcorn and soda and ice cream while we are there, or...we can buy another iPad so you each can use one on the plane (and forever after)..." - which one do you think they would pick?

Well the last thing we need in this world is more people staring at screens, but of course your point is valid. These prices are absurd. If people wanna pay them (and indeed, some seem eager to pay them, sorta like the puzzling people who seem excited that the new top-end iPhone is $1000), hey go right ahead. As you mentioned....those three extra hours go by fast, no matter how short the lines are.

I hate crowds probably more than anyone on this board, but I would rather spend a full day in a fairly crowded park than pay these exorbitant prices to scramble around for 3 hours trying to do as much as I could to justify throwing down over 500 bucks for the privilege. I don't have kids either, so it would be less for me, but still no way I'm paying these prices for what is essentially the same thing as EMH with a few snacks thrown in. And there's the little matter of paying a premium for a park that is not running at 100% (for these prices, everything should be open, period).

But again, by all means, for those who actually think this is worth it, go and enjoy. For me this is just another mile marker on the road to WDW not being a place I want to go much anymore and it bums me out. Recently unearthing the original guidebook from my first trip in 1976 certainly isn't helping me to be sanguine about this stuff either. General admission....$5.95.

Last edited:

freesvoice

There is absolutely no "mixed info" on closing times.

Read the official WDW description of the tickets.

It's pretty clear the exact times.

As I said above, they will probably allow guests to start entering an hour earlier officially (and sometimes unofficially earlier) but you are going to be in a super-crowded park with all kinds of people who are trying to get rides in before the ridiculously early closing times, and they will also be allowed to get into lines for attractions up until the moment the "event" starts. But the duration of the event is set in stone.
Crowd calendars say a 3 for that day so I'm not too worried about it being so crowded that I can't move. This isn't holiday time it's early Feb. And as I stated earlier in this thread this is the only day my group can do magic Kingdom; it was After Hours event or nothing. More than happy to shell out my $$ for it as are the 6 other people in my group.

I agree that closing time is listed as 11:00 pm but have read midnight and 2:00 am on two other places from people that have actually been there and experienced it. Not banking on it and don't care. I'll be there during the set hours only. Have a dinner reservation at DS prior but thanks for the concern.

Last edited:

Dad 2 M & M

Just checked for a Family of Four:
All Guests - $506.96
Passholders - $379.16

We went twice last year and had a blast....already planning on one, maybe two early '18.

Here is a screenshot of dates/times details (price for Passholders):

After Hours.jpg

Dad 2 M & M

Ticket sales were very low, so much so that Disney kept lowering the price and giving passes out for free to 'lifestylers' to make it look like the event was more popular than it was. People just weren't interested since extra magic hours are free. It was great for people who paid since the park was empty but not a good business move.
We were given freebees the 1st go around.....the 2nd time the After Hours ran, we paid the $75 discounted Passholder Rate. It REALLY is unreal to see the park THAT empty. We're looking forward to it.

Where have you been?....it's been a minute my homie

AEfx

Crowd calendars say a 3 for that day so I'm not too worried about it being so crowded that I can't move. This isn't holiday time it's early Feb. And as I stated earlier in this thread this is the only day my group can do magic Kingdom; it was After Hours event or nothing. More than happy to shell out my $$ for it as are the 6 other people in my group.

I agree that closing time is listed as 11:00 pm but have read midnight and 2:00 am on two other places from people that have actually been there and experienced it. Not banking on it and don't care. I'll be there during the set hours only. Have a dinner reservation at DS prior but thanks for the concern.

LOL, well keep reading those crowd calendars! :)

However, don't fool yourself. The closing time is 11PM. Sharp. I don't know who all these people you are mysteriously communicating with from the future who have somehow been to this batch of events, prior blocks of events may have had different operating times, but Disney has *never* just extended a hard ticket event hours beyond when it is officially scheduled.

If you don't care about knowing the facts, then really - don't argue them, because you keep making up things (I never said anything about "being so crowded that you can't move" - I'm just letting you know the REALITY of what you are buying which is that the park doesn't instantly empty out for you). If you think this is a deal, go for it. But if you keep posting incorrect information, it's going to be corrected - this isn't DIS.

freesvoice

LOL, well keep reading those crowd calendars! :)

However, don't fool yourself. The closing time is 11PM. Sharp. I don't know who all these people you are mysteriously communicating with from the future who have somehow been to this batch of events, prior blocks of events may have had different operating times, but Disney has *never* just extended a hard ticket event hours beyond when it is officially scheduled.

If you don't care about knowing the facts, then really - don't argue them, because you keep making up things (I never said anything about "being so crowded that you can't move" - I'm just letting you know the REALITY of what you are buying which is that the park doesn't instantly empty out for you). If you think this is a deal, go for it. But if you keep posting incorrect information, it's going to be corrected - this isn't DIS.
I read other boards and blogs from people that have actually been to the event in 2017 and the reviews are all positive. Where as you have not yet continue to rip on it as if you know everything.

I myself am wondering why I've seen others claiming it went as late as 2:00 am or it was an 11:00 pm stop but they were there to midnight but again, I don't care because it has no weight on my going. Never once did I state it that as fact I even said I would not be counting on that or trying to game anything. I have a four year old with me that may not even make it until 11:00 pm and that's okay. No interest in spreading false information so please stop. I know the least amount about WDW of probably anyone else on this board. I called and spoke to a CM, did a lot of research and decided to purchase tickets because this is ideal for my trip/group. I also never said I expect the park to just **poof** empty out right at 8:00 pm. We plan to get there at 7, shop while we can, see the fireworks then ride everything we can until close. The point is to have fun not ride every ride.

You're coming across as bitter and there's really no reason. It's Disney, lighten up!

Pixieish

I read other boards and blogs from people that have actually been to the event in 2017 and the reviews are all positive. Where as you have not yet continue to rip on it as if you know everything.

I myself am wondering why I've seen others claiming it went as late as 2:00 am or it was an 11:00 pm stop but they were there to midnight but again, I don't care because it has no weight on my going. Never once did I state it that as fact I even said I would not be counting on that or trying to game anything. I have a four year old with me that may not even make it until 11:00 pm and that's okay. No interest in spreading false information so please stop. I know the least amount about WDW of probably anyone else on this board. I called and spoke to a CM, did a lot of research and decided to purchase tickets because this is ideal for my trip/group. I also never said I expect the park to just **poof** empty out right at 8:00 pm. We plan to get there at 7, shop while we can, see the fireworks then ride everything we can until close. The point is to have fun not ride every ride.

You're coming across as bitter and there's really no reason. It's Disney, lighten up!

It's hard to lighten up when a vacation identical to the one you took 2 years ago has increased by ridiculous amounts of money.

larandtra

Some of you are very angry at anything Disney does as a "paid event". Face it, this is not the past, things that may have been free or lower priced previously are no longer that way. This is real world and as some have mentioned, Disney is indeed thinning the herd to a degree. Companies have costs. Do I think everything they do is a good move? Absolutely not. But I also can choose as to whether I want to do it or not. Its a personal decision based on my finances, my situation, my likes and dislikes. So you can sit here and lecture people about how stupid they are or how dumb people are for falling into another "cash grab" but, since it is up to each person and your opinion actually means very little to them. Sit in your little room, continue to be angry, but, try to lighten up a bit Francis. Noone really cares whether you think its a stupid idea or not.

ToTBellHop

Some of you are very angry at anything Disney does as a "paid event". Face it, this is not the past, things that may have been free or lower priced previously are no longer that way. This is real world and as some have mentioned, Disney is indeed thinning the herd to a degree. Companies have costs. Do I think everything they do is a good move? Absolutely not. But I also can choose as to whether I want to do it or not. Its a personal decision based on my finances, my situation, my likes and dislikes. So you can sit here and lecture people about how stupid they are or how dumb people are for falling into another "cash grab" but, since it is up to each person and your opinion actually means very little to them. Sit in your little room, continue to be angry, but, try to lighten up a bit Francis. Noone really cares whether you think its a stupid idea or not.
To review, larandtra is lecturing folks about how they shouldn't lecture folks. Also, larandtra feels that everyone should care about what he/she is saying even though "noone [sic] really cares...". Larandtra also mentioned in his/her angry post that others should "lighten up a bit." Finally, apparently folks have come to a Disney World message board even though, "your opinion actually means very little to them."

Got it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Either pre or post "normal" operating hours events are fine for my wife and I. We do Early Morning Magic when it coincides with our visits both at Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom. Why ? My DW's favorite rides in these parks 7D and MM are included. Last iteration we attended it was on the 23rd and we rode 7D literally 9 times in a row, before wandering off to Pooh and Peter Pan. Back to 7D for one more ride and then when the hoardes ofrope droppers and early breakfast folks started piling in we were off to the all you care to eat breakfast at Pinocchio's Village Haus.

If you dont care to participate in the fewer operating hours low season, you can either go during another part of the year or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom