News 'Disney After Hours' ticketed event

freesvoice

That same group of six would be paying $666 for one day at the MK at a time it is open for 12 hours.

That group of six could instead pay an extra $48 for five hours at the MK (you can enter at 7 PM).

And that group of six could ride probably three times the number of E-Ticket rides by using the EMH ticket than by using the day ticket for just fifty bucks more.
Park closes at 8:00 pm on the day I'm looking at and link says ticket is good for 3 hours after closing. Am I understanding correctly that it will close at 11:00 pm or did it go until midnight last year?

Casper Gutman

Hey, remember E-Ticket Express, that thing in the mid-90s where you got three hours in a virtually deserted Magic Kingdom after hours for $10 a ticket?

Of course, there's been a lot of inflation since then, so in modern terms that ticket would cost a whopping $16.

When you actually look at the old ticket prices - man, it's just awful.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ticket sales were very low, so much so that Disney kept lowering the price and giving passes out for free to 'lifestylers' to make it look like the event was more popular than it was. People just weren't interested since extra magic hours are free. It was great for people who paid since the park was empty but not a good business move.

The way to make it work is close the park earlier and end evening EMH

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Park closes at 8:00 pm on the day I'm looking at and link says ticket is good for 3 hours after closing. Am I understanding correctly that it will close at 11:00 pm or did it go until midnight last year?

I think they have different times... some close at 9p, some at 8p. But closing times can also change.

When you stay on a Disney property you're paying an extra, hidden resort fee for things like transportation, 60 day FP, and EMMs. That's why a comparable off-site hotel is cheaper. This is a way to be off-site and be able to buy into an EMM. And unlike the EMMs for Disney resort guests, this one is indeed deluxe considering how few other people are there and it's 3 hours and not 2.

Also, a great boon for those who hate people. :rolleyes:

I have to say that I hate resort fees. I respect much, much more Disney for advertizing their real resort daily rate and not resorting to those dreadful resort fees. They feel (and are) like scams to fool guests.

Right, to me it's a day where you relax by the pool then do everything you want to do at MK that night, without crowds, for about the same price as a regular park ticket. Plus drinks, ice cream and popcorn (or so I've read...)

Are drinks, ice cream and popcorn included? Can you buy other stuff? Are restaurant openned? What about stores?

freesvoice

For those who have attended, what attractions do you remember being closed? Currently lists that more than 25 attractions will be open but some indeed will be closed for this event.

freesvoice

That same group of six would be paying $666 for one day at the MK at a time it is open for 12 hours.

That group of six could instead pay an extra $48 for five hours at the MK (you can enter at 7 PM).

And that group of six could ride probably three times the number of E-Ticket rides by using the EMH ticket than by using the day ticket for just fifty bucks more.
This. No lines make all the difference in how much you can get done. Add in the free food & drink and I think it makes sense.

AEfx

This. No lines make all the difference in how much you can get done. Add in the free food & drink and I think it makes sense.

That's just it - back when these would have been MK's normal closing hours, there were few lines at the end of the night to begin with. So basically they are recognizing that people don't want to just go sit in their hotel rooms at 7PM on vacation, nor are they all going to flock to DTD night after night (or whatever the heck we are calling the big outdoor mall these days), but just charging for a full-day experience for it.

When you break it down, there is only so much you can do in 3 hours, even with virtually walk-on rides. You still have to walk between them, down the long queues, and wherever they can they will be reducing the number or ride vehicles and staff as much as possible. And don't forget, you have to take time to stop and get that "free" soda, ice cream, and popcorn - likely all in at least two separate lines, probably longer than the attractions. And unless you are going to scarf them together, you'd probably have two such stops, and then eat, and then at least once probably stop for a bathroom break. It's really not very long, just when you consider the logistics of it.

We could sit all day and come up with "best case" scenarios, but of course most people won't have the "best case" experience. I think the reason that some of us are either just shocked or find this almost offensive, but I think it's mostly about worry about what is to come. Even when you compare like to like, the "value" of this ticket is astronomical. Even the 5-hour MK Christmas and Halloween parties are still under a hundred bucks, and have more entertainment (if much less than they used to). A few less attractions, but most the major ones that have long wait times folks want to avoid with a ticket like that are open.

If you look at historic ticket prices for special events like this, and consider how the prices have spiked in the last few years while the benefits and features declining, when you look at the fact that this is an EMH night with some free cheap snacks, it makes one worry how far they are going to go - and where that bubble will burst.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's just it - back when these would have been MK's normal closing hours, there were few lines at the end of the night to begin with. So basically they are recognizing that people don't want to just go sit in their hotel rooms at 7PM on vacation, nor are they all going to flock to DTD night after night (or whatever the heck we are calling the big outdoor mall these days), but just charging for a full-day experience for it.

When you break it down, there is only so much you can do in 3 hours, even with virtually walk-on rides. You still have to walk between them, down the long queues, and wherever they can they will be reducing the number or ride vehicles and staff as much as possible. And don't forget, you have to take time to stop and get that "free" soda, ice cream, and popcorn - likely all in at least two separate lines, probably longer than the attractions. And unless you are going to scarf them together, you'd probably have two such stops, and then eat, and then at least once probably stop for a bathroom break. It's really not very long, just when you consider the logistics of it.

We could sit all day and come up with "best case" scenarios, but of course most people won't have the "best case" experience. I think the reason that some of us are either just shocked or find this almost offensive, but I think it's mostly about worry about what is to come. Even when you compare like to like, the "value" of this ticket is astronomical. Even the 5-hour MK Christmas and Halloween parties are still under a hundred bucks, and have more entertainment (if much less than they used to). A few less attractions, but most the major ones that have long wait times folks want to avoid with a ticket like that are open.

If you look at historic ticket prices for special events like this, and consider how the prices have spiked in the last few years while the benefits and features declining, when you look at the fact that this is an EMH night with some free cheap snacks, it makes one worry how far they are going to go - and where that bubble will burst.

I know we do not always agree but things are going to get far worse before the bubble bursts.

Unfortunately this is the kind of thing you get when you manage the stock price instead of managing the company.

And the type of stuff happening will get more extreme as $DIS is already lagging the S&P 500 by 15% this year

freesvoice

Every review I've read has had people claiming they rode everything they wanted to multiple times and some even left early because they finished everything so quickly. If you're trying to ride all 25 attractions that will be open I'm sure you could put together a hard-core touring plan that could get it done but most people probably have 10-15 which is similar to what you would get done in a day even with fastpasses.

To me it's simple, either pay ~$110 to go during the day with crowds and lines and no food/drink included or pay $119 to go for 4 hours with no crowds or lines and unlimited snacks included. If it makes no sense to you then buy your day ticket and enjoy it that way. Calling it offensive is a bit of a stretch; it's just creating more options for how to Disney. The day I am looking to attend has EMH at MK the day before and the day after to ensure people who don't see the value in the event have their normal options for extra hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom