Magic Kingdom: the movie

olinecoach61

Original Poster
Apparently director John farveau was on the Howard Stern show yesterday and said that his next project is making "magic kingdom". He said it would be similar to night at the museum. Anyone heard of this? Sounds like it could be great!

Pluto'sGrl

Was anything mentioned about the "Kingdom Keepers" series of books? The idea behind them was good (the parks being "alive" after closing) but they're pretty awful reading.

olinecoach61

Original Poster
I didn't hear it myself, my father in law called me and told me. I'm hoping to catch the replay today so I hear it myself.

Communicore

It lost all credibility when it said the family was in "Disneyland" - that ain't Magic Kingdom, I know it was an unofficial nickname for it in the past, but that still does not make it right. Call the movie Disneyland instead. It will be misleading.

daydreamdana84

I think I would rather see them bring the Kingdom Keepers series to life. Also, I would rather it be Disney worlds Magic Kingdom. Overall, Ill be excited to see it :)!

Korfar

It lost all credibility when it said the family was in "Disneyland" - that ain't Magic Kingdom, I know it was an unofficial nickname for it in the past, but that still does not make it right. Call the movie Disneyland instead. It will be misleading.

THANK YOU!!! That is a pet peeve of mine. Disneyland is not the Magic Kingdom. Not in my mimd anyway. Glad to see someone else thinking the same way.

Jedi Wizard

Was anything mentioned about the "Kingdom Keepers" series of books? The idea behind them was good (the parks being "alive" after closing) but they're pretty awful reading.

I like the Kingdom Keepers books. You just have to remember that they are written and marketed to the pre-teen and tween set when judging them.

The 3rd and 4th grade kids at my daughter's school absolutely enjoys them. They may not be on the level of Harry Potter but anything that gets kids to read more and watch TV less is alright in my opinion.

wilkeliza

Disneyland is the original Magic Kingdom. I was upset at first when I learned it was taking place in Disneyland but then a CM/friend of mine pointed out that Disneyland is still referred to as the Magic Kingdom and was the first. There are two parks there Disneyland Magic Kingdom and Disneyland California Adventures.

It may not be our Magic Kingdom but it is still the Magic Kingdom.

invader

Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure are in Disneyland Resort. Magic Kingdom is at Walt Disney World Resort. Why can't people just get it right... :brick:

TP2000

Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure are in Disneyland Resort. Magic Kingdom is at Walt Disney World Resort. Why can't people just get it right... :brick:

The actual nomenclature for WDW's park is "Magic Kingdom Park". The problem is that "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" is in Anaheim, AKA Disneyland. It predates Disneyland's other famous tagline, "The Happiest Place On Earth", which didn't begin wide use until later in the 1950's.

Disney has been using the Disneyland tagline "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" in international publicity since even before the park opened, as seen in this Kansas City Star newspaper advertisement from the morning edition of July 17th, 1955.

disneykcstar1707195511e.jpg

Even today, Disney still uses the "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" tagline on posted signage around Disneyland property, and in the spoken words of Cast Member spiels and scripts, either live or recorded. Such as the recorded Disneyland Railroad announcements that boom every 5 to 10 minutes from the station platforms "The Disneyland Limited, now arriving from a grand circle tour of Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!" to the live spiels on the older attractions like the Mark Twain Riverboat and Sailing Ship Columbia.

Here is a closeup of the Disneyland Hotel poster they have plastered all over the construction walls this summer at the hotel as it is being remodeled.

DLHotelMida.jpg

I can assure you that Westerners and tourists from overseas in 2011 still hear the phrase "magic kingdom" routinely in reference to Disneyland.

So, calling a movie "Magic Kingdom" and basing it in Disneyland is really the smart thing to do. Any tourist who can see and/or hear that has ever been to Disneyland will have a modern reference for the park being called the Magic Kingdom, and anyone who has visited Walt Disney World will also identify the Magic Kingdom with the Florida theme park that is based on Disneyland. Using Disneyland as a reference point makes more sense for the movie, since there are many more rides, shows and attractions in Disneyland Park to work with compared to Magic Kingdom Park. It's a no-brainer to base the Magic Kingdom movie at Disneyland, instead of in Florida.

WeLoveTheMouse

The actual nomenclature for WDW's park is "Magic Kingdom Park". The problem is that "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" is in Anaheim, AKA Disneyland. It predates Disneyland's other famous tagline, "The Happiest Place On Earth", which didn't begin wide use until later in the 1950's.

Disney has been using the Disneyland tagline "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" in international publicity since even before the park opened, as seen in this Kansas City Star newspaper advertisement from the morning edition of July 17th, 1955.

Even today, Disney still uses the "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" tagline on posted signage around Disneyland property, and in the spoken words of Cast Member spiels and scripts, either live or recorded. Such as the recorded Disneyland Railroad announcements that boom every 5 to 10 minutes from the station platforms "The Disneyland Limited, now arriving from a grand circle tour of Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!" to the live spiels on the older attractions like the Mark Twain Riverboat and Sailing Ship Columbia.

Here is a closeup of the Disneyland Hotel poster they have plastered all over the construction walls this summer at the hotel as it is being remodeled.

I can assure you that Westerners and tourists from overseas in 2011 still hear the phrase "magic kingdom" routinely in reference to Disneyland.

So, calling a movie "Magic Kingdom" and basing it in Disneyland is really the smart thing to do. Any tourist who can see and/or hear that has ever been to Disneyland will have a modern reference for the park being called the Magic Kingdom, and anyone who has visited Walt Disney World will also identify the Magic Kingdom with the Florida theme park that is based on Disneyland. Using Disneyland as a reference point makes more sense for the movie, since there are many more rides, shows and attractions in Disneyland Park to work with compared to Magic Kingdom Park. It's a no-brainer to base the Magic Kingdom movie at Disneyland, instead of in Florida.

Thank for a very informative and interesting post! :)

TP2000

Thank for a very informative and interesting post! :)

You are very welcome, it was my pleasure. :wave:

The topic of naming the Magic Kingdom Park in Florida has always interested me. How I would have loved to be a fly on that conference room wall around 1969 or 1970 when they were trying to decide what to call the place. I wonder what some of the other suggestions might have been?!

TP2000

If anyone is interested in hearing a brief audio clip of the two phrases "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" and "the magic kingdom" being used today at Disneyland, here's a neat 60 second audio clip from the Disneyland Railroad.

The first 20 second phrase is heard on the platform as the train pulls in, and the second phrase is heard as the train readies to depart. This is playing every few minutes, 365 days per year, right now at Disneyland USA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9j30M8btk4

All aboard for Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom of Disneyland! :wave:

jjharvpro

Very excited about this movie. Night at the Museum was so cool to me, and putting this concept into a Disney park is brilliant.

Jon Favreau himself said that he was a huge Disney fan and that assures me that this movie won't be a disaster.

xoJuicyyStarr71

:brick: Am I the only one who dislikes this idea? :shrug: The concept IS cool, but it's just a big commercial. Honestly, I feel the park will lose some of it's magic if they go through with this movie. That's just my opinion! However, I CAN understand why some people like it, I just don't feel the same way I guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom