Magic Kingdom on New Year's Eve - worth it?

MissM

Original Poster
We've never gone on NYE before. Mainly because we're broke from xmas still. I know they reach capacity. And I know that you have to get their early and stay there or risk getting locked out.

So I ask of those who have gone, is it worth going that day? Two showings of two parades, two sets of fireworks. Less expense then hitting a lame club for 2 hours that's going to be more packed then WDW anyway. More general Disney goodness.

But does the massive length of the day, and the filled-to-capacity crowds leech some of the fun out of it?

Right now, all I can think is Disney (yeah!) and Dole Whips (yum!) and not the practical, 17-hour wall-to-wall people part of it.

Thoughts appreciated.
-m

basas

I'm sure its fun with the park open till 1AM and all and the New Years festivities...but just make sure you're patient and expect the park to be filled (know ahead of time you're not going to get on every ride). If you can handle the crowds i'm sure you'll have a great time.

disneydisney

I did the NYE for 2000 at the Magic Kingdom and it was fun. But you need to get there early in the morning to make sure you get in. You have to spend the entire day there so it can be tiring but when the fireworks come and it turns 12:00 its great.
:sohappy:

dalton30720

We rang in the New Year at Magic Kingdom in 2002 & 2003. It was extremely crowded but we had a blast. Looking forward to doing it again, maybe next year.

tigger248

It's fun, but you have to be really patient when dealing with the massive crowds. I was there in 2002, at the end of my cp. I arrived early and played in the park until like 5:00 and then it was off to work at Splash Photo. Very tiring to work until like 2:30 in the morning after having played in the park since like 9:00 am. The crowds were crazy and we really didn't ride much (we didn't even go to Fantasyland, not that we'd have probably been able to walk through there anyways.). It was especially difficult manuvering my brother's wheelchair around. We got our picture on main street and there is an insane wall of people behind us.

I think you'll do fine as long as you don't expect to ride everything and can be patient when dealing with the massive crowds. If you have an AP, then you really have nothing to lose except gas (don't AP holders park free? I think my parents could park free when they had theirs). I'll probably never plan a vacation at that time simply because I like to see all that I can on my one trip a year. But, if you live in the area, it's definitely a fun way to ring in the New Year.

I arrived in Orlando about 7:00 pm last New Years Eve. My daughter and grandson picked me up at the airport and we went directly to MK. We got right in got to see the last parade and then walked back to the area between tomorrowland and Toontown and watched the greatest New Year's fireworks we had ever seen. I hope this helps - I would recommend it over and over.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Is EPCOT likely to be any different than MK tomorrow? I was thinking of going tomorrow but would rather not spend the entire day there. I'd prefer to head over maybe late afternoon and then stay until midnight? Am I likely to be out of luck unless I get there before noon?

speck76

I saw the MK NYE fireworks tonight (they do them on the 30th and 31st) and you are not missing much........watch them from the Poly and avoid the crowds.

Epcot has a much better show.

Montu

MissM said:
We've never gone on NYE before. Mainly because we're broke from xmas still. I know they reach capacity. And I know that you have to get their early and stay there or risk getting locked out.

So I ask of those who have gone, is it worth going that day? Two showings of two parades, two sets of fireworks. Less expense then hitting a lame club for 2 hours that's going to be more packed then WDW anyway. More general Disney goodness.

But does the massive length of the day, and the filled-to-capacity crowds leech some of the fun out of it?

Right now, all I can think is Disney (yeah!) and Dole Whips (yum!) and not the practical, 17-hour wall-to-wall people part of it.

Thoughts appreciated.
-m

This evening the Magic Kingdom celebrated New Years 1. They did the entire NYE pyro show at midnight tonight for guests in the park (park closed at 1am.) It was nice. A good show. The perimeter stuff was quite good, but honestly, if you're going to go somewhere for NYE go to Epcot. Their show can't be beat and there's an atmosphere about Epcot that is just so right for NYE. MK works very well for other things, for example it would be a lovely mood for Christmas (aside all the people) but I can't imagine celebrating NYE in that park.

Definately hit a park - it's an experience unmatched to any other given day of the year going to them and definately a very unique way to spend NYE. I'd definately much more recommend doing Epcot if you do, like I said, but it's your call.

Montu

speck76 said:
I saw the MK NYE fireworks tonight (they do them on the 30th and 31st) and you are not missing much........watch them from the Poly and avoid the crowds.

Epcot has a much better show.

One thing - to say "they do them" makes it sound regular... this is actually the first time that the Magic Kingdom has done it's NYE pyro for guests on 12/30 and 12/31.

It's smart to do it - makes a lot of sense really given that people are turned away on 12/31, or choose to speend their time elsewhere. This gives everyoen the opportunity to see it for the first time.

speck76

Montu said:
One thing - to say "they do them" makes it sound regular... this is actually the first time that the Magic Kingdom has done it's NYE pyro for guests on 12/30 and 12/31.

It's smart to do it - makes a lot of sense really given that people are turned away on 12/31, or choose to speend their time elsewhere. This gives everyoen the opportunity to see it for the first time.

You are right.....they did them on 12/30/04, which was something new......it seemed to be the same show at the Forth of July, which is done to FitS......which for me, is nothing great (it is good, but Epcot is better)

boo52

IMO, The Studios will be the show to see this year. During the test everything didn;t work to what was expected of it, but they are confident it will go off later tonight. And from what I was told with stuff shooting off of the buildings down Hollywood Blvd, it should a a cool sight to see.

Montu

speck76 said:
You are right.....they did them on 12/30/04, which was something new......it seemed to be the same show at the Forth of July, which is done to FitS......which for me, is nothing great (it is good, but Epcot is better)

I agree. The part with the perimeters was neat- nicer than what they did for Halloween but still, nothing compared to Epcot's show. The finale actually made me laugh out loud. I was fully expecting a massive barrage of explosions like you'd get at Epcot behind the castle and all around with perimeter shells. How sad that it was the normal old dated Fantasy in the Sky finale after this huge NYE segment, without even perimeters! Dunno what they were thinking with that one!

Montu

boo52 said:
IMO, The Studios will be the show to see this year. During the test everything didn;t work to what was expected of it, but they are confident it will go off later tonight. And from what I was told with stuff shooting off of the buildings down Hollywood Blvd, it should a a cool sight to see.

Where did you hear stuff didn't work? From what I understand, that was the show in full as you're going to get it at midnight on 12/31.

It was a nice show - don't get me wrong, but not a NYE nice show. It would be a wonderful show for a park's nighttime display, but wasn't big enough to be a NYE show if you ask me. Epcot definately blows it far away. Still glad I got to see it though.

speck76

Montu said:
I agree. The part with the perimeters was neat- nicer than what they did for Halloween but still, nothing compared to Epcot's show. The finale actually made me laugh out loud. I was fully expecting a massive barrage of explosions like you'd get at Epcot behind the castle and all around with perimeter shells. How sad that it was the normal old dated Fantasy in the Sky finale after this huge NYE segment, without even perimeters! Dunno what they were thinking with that one!

I saw last night and the 4th of July show from Sunset Point at the Poly, so we could not hear much music, but for both shows, at the end I was thinking "was that it?....is it over?"

At Epcot.....you KNOW when it is over.

MissM

Original Poster
We did end up hitting MK. The reason we wouldn't have wanted to do Epcot is simply because there's not enough to hold your interest there (for us) for 14 hours. We got to MK at 10am and stayed through midnight.

I don't know what fireworks you might have seen on TV, but from there, they were pretty darn impressive. They had it launching from two locations and then a massive explosion 360 around. Which was huge. It was silly though because the "finale" after the 'round for 2005 was almost nothing in comparison.

It was a loooooong day. With FAR too many people. But it was fun, I'm glad I went, but I don't think I'd do it again simply because of how overpacked they stuff the park.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts though and suggestions. :)
-m

ChrisH9339

Epcot NYE

Epcot was definitely the place to be. It was crowded, and my only complaint was they didn't add extra food stands around World Showcase, as it took 20 minutes to get a food or drink item. Usual Imagination, Body Wars & Land had no wait-- the big stuff had long lines. We were able to get there fairly late, about 6 since the park is so big, and the midnight performance was very impressive. It was my first Disney NYE experience and it was very well done; exceeded my expectations. Definitely will be there next year (or should I say the end of this year)!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom