Magic Kingdom losing evening EMHs?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The truth is there is a fast pass model that is working quite well.....it's at Universal. I think their system works well. I like the fact that you have to stay at certain hotels to get the pass or you have to pay for it. Makes sense to me. Almost always walk right on most rides. The least Disney should do is make it for resort guests only. Not sure of the incentive to give it for free to anyone else. And I would only give it free to Deluxe resort guests. Then value and moderates could get a discounted price, off site pays full price. Why not?

Disney sort of agrees, why charge a handful of people for a service when you can charge many times more people for the same service? Hence the new FP paid service coming soon.

Kevin_W

The truth is there is a fast pass model that is working quite well.....it's at Universal. I think their system works well. I like the fact that you have to stay at certain hotels to get the pass or you have to pay for it. Makes sense to me. Almost always walk right on most rides. The least Disney should do is make it for resort guests only. Not sure of the incentive to give it for free to anyone else. And I would only give it free to Deluxe resort guests. Then value and moderates could get a discounted price, off site pays full price. Why not?

It works well... for those willing to spend $$ to buy it or pay the upcharge to stay on site. If you are in the "have not" category, the class stratification rankles, watchign those who paid more money skip you in line.

Brad Bishop

Interesting but my guess is this would not help with merchandising or food and beverage.

I could sort of make a, possibly thin, argument with dining:
- If people are paying by the minute then they don't feel as though they have to "get the whole day" out of their "whole day ticket" and may very well leave before dining, thus reducing the pressure on dining.

I'm not sure what you meant by merch. Making it harder to buy or easier to buy?

The cool thing is that after picking all of this low-hanging fruit they'll eventually land on: "We need another park." There will, eventually, be a point where they can only make so much money from their current productions that they'll actually have to produce more.

jt04

Just like @BradBishop said....."no matter what you do, people will not only pay it, but also defend it." (See above)

TDO had to recently cancel an event at Epcot for DVC'ers celebrating Star Wars stuff. So it seems management is putting this hypothesis to the test.

I am definitely leaning towards a silver pass and 4 or 5 special events. Nothing wrong with Disney evolving the park ticket menu to suit different guests schedule and budget. IMO.

draybook

Original Poster
Actually, the rumor I "regurgitated" was on most of the Facebook Disney groups I'm in. I'm not too aware of Kenny's track record so I figured I'd check in with our local know-bodies for clarification. It was a rumor and this is the rumor section...

jaklgreen

TDO had to recently cancel an event at Epcot for DVC'ers celebrating Star Wars stuff. So it seems management is putting this hypothesis to the test.

I am definitely leaning towards a silver pass and 4 or 5 special events. Nothing wrong with Disney evolving the park ticket menu to suit different guests schedule and budget. IMO.

The event was $225 for a 3 hours. Who in their right mind would pay for that? Even Disney fans have their limit.

Tanna Eros

There is nothing evolving. They've made it quite clear they are looking to appeal to the high-end guest and the high-end budget. We haven't seen any sort of bone being thrown to the peons and grunts.
Is it less crowded at the evening events? I had decided against going into the parks due to crowding.
If I could go to the park and not have the schedule my day the same way Kubrick plans a movie, and have less crowds, I might very well take them up on it. I certainly don't have high-end tastes. The people that think they are high-end scare me- many of them think because they toss some bucks to do something, they can act like the rich people they saw in an old movie.
I'm already going to be there, and it's a bus ride and a boat ride over.
My only issue is that some guests paid extra to belong in a club that offered this advantage, do they have to pay extra for evening hours, too?

Last edited:

jt04

The event was $225 for a 3 hours. Who in their right mind would pay for that? Even Disney fans have their limit.

When I heard about this I thought of the higher/lower game on the price is right. I think TDO priced it above any price they thought might work just to prove there is a ceiling. Now they can work downward to find the true market value of such events.

IMO.

Tanna Eros

When I heard about this I thought of the higher/lower game on the price is right. I think TDO priced it above any price they thought might work just to prove there is a ceiling. Now they can work downward to find the true market value of such events.

IMO.
They were auctioning in reverse.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Is it less crowded at the evening events? I had decided against going into the parks due to crowding.
If I could go to the park and not have the schedule my day the same way Kubrick plans a movie, and have less crowds, I might very well take them up on it. I certainly don't have high-end tastes. The people that think they are high-end scare me- many of them think because they toss some bucks to do something, they can act like the rich people they saw in an old movie.
I'm already going to be there, and it's a bus ride and a boat ride over.
My only issue is that some guests paid extra to belong in a club that offered this advantage, do they have to pay extra for evening hours, too?

Yes the the after hours events are very much so less crowded. The holiday parties not so much. Those are probably the worst hard ticket event, if you're looking for crowd free parks. I've gone to MK and DAK ones and absolutely loved it. But when I went it was only two of us. Imagine a family of 4 or more. It's one of those things where if it were kept once a week and did not impact regular park hours I wouldn't mind. But I don't think that's the direction they're headed. I've maintained that these events coupled with early closes are going the be the more and more the norm. Let Disney sell the park out twice a day.

Tanna Eros

Thank you for your responses. It might end up being an option for me. I wouldn't think of going during a holiday, it's just not in me to do so.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The MK closes at midnight from now until Apr 27. On Apr 17 and 24, the Evening EMH is from midnight to 2 AM.

For the rest of the Summer, it closes at 10 PM with Evening EMH from 10 PM to midnight. For now.

The Visionary Soul

The elimination of all Extra Magic Hours has always been the goal from the very beginning of MyMagic+. Years ago I was saying the same thing, and I’ll say the same thing now. They wanted to eventually allocate more FP+ Reservations for on-property guests in lieu of EMH. Now it seems these after hours parties are proving way more profitable for the MK so that’s pushing it to happen even faster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom