Magic Kingdom losing evening EMHs?

Fable McCloud

I admit that I'm generally an early riser, but my husband is not. When we're on vacation though, we like to sleep in a bit, have something to eat, then get going. MK is my favorite park, and I want to stay through the Goodnight Kiss. It's going to be a lot harder if it's always EMH in the morning.

We've done MNSSHP twice now, and I think that's enough. If we go when there's an evening hard ticket, I'll probably eat the cost just to get to ride things with lower capacity and crowding. MK late at night is just my favorite.

My first trip ever they did 2 shows of Wishes (one at 7:00 and one at 9:00) so we were able to hold out until the 2nd show and ride more. I loved leaving at 11, it was way less crowded.

jt04

Sorry, I just don’t see this. I think closing at 9pm, regardless of the morning schedule, keeps MK slammed in the afternoon and night. Most people aren’t crack-of-dawn types on vacation, especially if they just had a grueling day at the parks yesterday.

They really need to expand hours in both directions- morning and evening. MK attendance is now over 20 million/year. It was 15 million in 2004. There is no longer a “slow” time or offseason.

I understand the next step is to charge for late evening hours through ticketed events, which has already begun. I’ll take a wait & see approach because, hey, maybe it’ll be worth it. To a lot of people it won’t. But if it’s the only way to enjoy MK at night without it being slammed...

I am convinced getting more on site guests, especially DVC regulars, into the parks early will find them leaving earlier. Regulars aren't going to do 10 or more hours straight. Many will head out for dinner elsewhere.

Sometime check out crowd flow on early morning days. The exodus of guests toward dusk can be pretty impressive.

Jahona

I wouldn’t say never...

EMH has been cut so many times over the years. It happens less now and the hours are shorter. There were times MK was open for EMH until 2AM. That never happens anymore.

I miss those 2AM EMH. Park was mostly empty and the feel of MK at night is magical and spooky at the same time. My group is mainly mid to late morning risers so staying out late worked best.

bunnyman

Like any good business with shareholders, they'll keep raising prices and upcharging for various things as long as the market bears it. Eventually they'll cross some line somewhere that will backfire, but until they reach that point hold onto your wallets.

BigThunderMatt

Like any good business with shareholders, they'll keep raising prices and upcharging for various things as long as the market bears it. Eventually they'll cross some line somewhere that will backfire, but until they reach that point hold onto your wallets.

People have been saying that for literally the last 10 years and it hasn't happened yet. There's always going to be new batches of people who think taking their kids to WDW is some god-given right and who are willing to go into debt for it.

Kman101

It could eventually happen. They'll push it enough where people will finally say enough. Hopefully. They need a true revolt where people actually stop paying the prices, but we haven't reached that point and don't look to be anywhere close to that kind of revolt. All of us on here doesn't tick the needle either way for them. They'll listen when people 'vote' with their wallets ;)

ABQ

It could eventually happen. They'll push it enough where people will finally say enough. Hopefully. They need a true revolt where people actually stop paying the prices, but we haven't reached that point and don't look to be anywhere close to that kind of revolt. All of us on here doesn't tick the needle either way for them. They'll listen when people 'vote' with their wallets ;)
Hopefully the Galactic Night's failure is a sign of such things.

wedje

I know Disney is a business but it gets hard to take when they hunt everything possible to make a dollar on. I also know lot of people don't understand when people like me complain, so let me give a little background. I took my kids to the kingdom back in 1987 when there was only the MK and EPCOT, we went the week before Easter. Parks were open from 8 am to midnight every day. Didn't get back until 2006, back then MK stayed open late nearly every night, with meal plan you got appitizer, meal ,drink and desert and tip was included. EMH were for people staying onsite only. Went back in 2007, 2008, 2011 and 2013 taking the grandkids. Had to cancel trip in 2017 because of sickness. Point being for people who went "back then" when you compare what you got for your money compared with what you get now there is a big difference. Now you have to pay to park in half empty resort parking lots. lot less food on your plate, off site hotels get same benefits, less hours in parks, special pay events 4 times a week {MK}.. With all that said , I let my family talk me into going one last time with my daughter and oldest grandkids, Having to stay at value resort this time because of cost, trip is for last few days of Sept/ first few of Oct. First they announce Star Wars opening which we had hoped to miss, now no more EMH at night that week at MK. I guess they are getting what they want, people like me to stop coming and new people who don't know what you use to get for free now costing you a small fortune.. Anyway now I've vented, hope no more changed coming and I get to enjoy one last trip with the kids and grandkids.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Hopefully the Galactic Night's failure is a sign of such things.

Galactic Nights was a failure because it didn't not appeal to anyone and the price was too high. After Hours, Holiday Parties, Desert Parties all give guests some sort of value. Until the price vs value curve go negative expect these to continue and expand.

Kman101

Galactic Nights was a failure because it didn't not appeal to anyone and the price was too high. After Hours, Holiday Parties, Desert Parties all give guests some sort of value. Until the price vs value curve go negative expect these to continue and expand.

If Galactic Nights were an After Hours event, it probably would have sold out ... at least DVC members saw through the "pay us so we can use your money instead of our own to test things for Galaxy's Edge" ...

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
If Galactic Nights were an After Hours event, it probably would have sold out ... at least DVC members saw through the "pay us so we can use your money instead of our own to test things for Galaxy's Edge" ...
It was an over glorified desert party limited to DVC members. My personal assessment of the “Disney” value of it was $75. Real world value being $35.

DisneyDreamer08

wasn't he the guy that was charging for people to hang out with him??

I stopped following his FB page back when Toy Story Land opened. His followers all know he lives locally but he still posted that he paid for a campsite (obviously without actually staying there) so that he could take advantage of the first morning EMH. I hate when people think the rules don’t apply to them.

Tanna Eros

Courtesy of Wallet Disney World.
Where "If you can't afford us, you don't deserve to be happy." is our motto.
I already put my Disney park money on an RV. You can join us at the Chip and Dale hot dog roast at the Triple R, but that's as close to the parks as we want to get. The rules and exceptions and add-ons are too confusing. Adding an extra charge to have to stay at the park at night is a bit much. What if you are in the park and want to stay? Who do you go to for payment of a few extra hours?

I'm not Type A enough to plan every iota of my vacation- it's more work to plan the vacation than it is to do a nationwide ad campaign.

Besides, southwest Buckeyes don't like close crowds.

BoarderPhreak

I love EMH, morning or evening - mornings are nice, but tend to be only an hour while evenings are generally longer. Combined with an already late-closing MK, that means midnight or later. I'll be more than slightly annoyed if this "rumor" is true.

Disorbust

So they expanded how many offsite hotels now to be eligible for EMH, but then eliminate them. I don't think they can really do it legally if they have a paid contract with the offsite hotels

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom