Magic Kingdom: Heavy Crowds on Jan 4, Light Crowds on Jan 8

My sister spent today at the Magic Kingdom and reported very heavy crowds, much heavier than the crowds we saw when we were there together in November. (Which were about the same crowd levels that I experienced when I was there during a separate trip in mid December.)

For example, she said the line for Pirates of the Caribbean wrapped 3 times around, and then back to the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse.

The Haunted Mansion line wrapped 3 times around and then stretched as a single line all the way Country Bears Jamboree.

Poor social distancing and even a couple of people not wearing masks. Also overheard 3 families getting reprimanded for not wearing masks.

She spent 2 weeks onsite in November and said today's crowds were much worse than anything she saw during those 2 weeks. Again, I was there for a short trip December 9-12, and the crowds I saw then were similar to the crowds I saw in November.

For reference, here's my trip reports from September, November, and December, with numerous photos showing what crowds were like during those trips:

Trip Report - The “Is it safe?” Trip Report | WDWMAGIC - Unofficial Walt Disney World discussion forums

Trip Report - The "Once More Unto The Breach" Trip Report | WDWMAGIC - Unofficial Walt Disney World discussion forums

Here's the one photo she took as the crowds parted momentarily near the queue for Peter Pan's Flight:

Peter Pan Line.jpg

She will be at Disney's Hollywood Studios tomorrow and will try to provide more photos.

Last edited:

JohnD

Looks like most people are doing the right thing and not traveling for pleasure now. Weekends are busy but that’s primarily locals.

Let’s hope this sticks for a little while longer while the vaccine continues to rollout.
Sounds nice. But let’s be honest. The fewer crowds aren’t for altruistic reasons. It’s after the New Year and people have to get back to work.

giantgolfer

Sounds nice. But let’s be honest. The fewer crowds aren’t for altruistic reasons. It’s after the New Year and people have to get back to work.
I understand that. However, some of the deniers here would like us to believe that “demand is high” to travel.

The reality is, the demand isn’t high. It’s actually below normal.

JohnD

I understand that. However, some of the deniers here would like us to believe that “demand is high” to travel.

The reality is, the demand isn’t high. It’s actually below normal.

Which is the case in any given year in January. Even during the pandemic, demand will be up during the usual holiday seasons and down at other times.

giantgolfer

Which is the case in any given year in January. Even during the pandemic, demand will be up during the usual holiday seasons and down at other times.
Again...I understand that. My comment was directed more to the people who claim that demand for WDW travel is higher than usual.

ThemeParkPriest

I would guess that the parks will soon return to being pretty steady with attendance (close to their current capacities) until spring break. I think Disney is banking on having increased capacity by then (at least in part buoyed by Ratatouille opening)!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom