Magic Kingdom: Heavy Crowds on Jan 4, Light Crowds on Jan 8

My sister spent today at the Magic Kingdom and reported very heavy crowds, much heavier than the crowds we saw when we were there together in November. (Which were about the same crowd levels that I experienced when I was there during a separate trip in mid December.)

For example, she said the line for Pirates of the Caribbean wrapped 3 times around, and then back to the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse.

The Haunted Mansion line wrapped 3 times around and then stretched as a single line all the way Country Bears Jamboree.

Poor social distancing and even a couple of people not wearing masks. Also overheard 3 families getting reprimanded for not wearing masks.

She spent 2 weeks onsite in November and said today's crowds were much worse than anything she saw during those 2 weeks. Again, I was there for a short trip December 9-12, and the crowds I saw then were similar to the crowds I saw in November.

For reference, here's my trip reports from September, November, and December, with numerous photos showing what crowds were like during those trips:

Trip Report - The “Is it safe?” Trip Report | WDWMAGIC - Unofficial Walt Disney World discussion forums

Trip Report - The "Once More Unto The Breach" Trip Report | WDWMAGIC - Unofficial Walt Disney World discussion forums

Here's the one photo she took as the crowds parted momentarily near the queue for Peter Pan's Flight:

Peter Pan Line.jpg

She will be at Disney's Hollywood Studios tomorrow and will try to provide more photos.

Last edited:

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I was there today as well, and it was very busy, much more than I would have thought given it was back to work/school for many. Queue lines were very long like OP described, and appeared to match close with the posted wait times. Overall mask wearing was fine and the usual choke points were in effect.

Disney Springs - blaze pizza, House of Blues both closed, no sign as to why. Of course Gideons also.

I'll be at DHS tomorrow also. Should be interesting.

Dutch Inn '76

It was very busy while I was there from Dec 19-22. Long lines. People everywhere. Impossible to "distance." ...but that's what the masks are for, and wearing them is enforced. Today is our 13th day back, and we're fine.

See my trip report (in the appropriate thread) if you'd like to know more...

deeevo

It was a beautiful day (Sunday was not), Passholders are out of the black out and school does not start until Wednesday for the surrounding counties I am sure had an impact.

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
Regardless of the local school schedule and block out dates, it should get crowded only to a point, if capacity remains capped at 35%.

Certainly, Disney might has reallocated more capacity to Annual Pass Holders but still, yesterday at the Magic Kingdom seemed far more crowded than when Chapek reported the capacity increase to 35%. Perhaps capacity was increased, even if it only was for yesterday?

Conversely, if capacity still is limited to 35%, then it seems to me that 35% is far too high for the Magic Kingdom, based on what my sister experienced yesterday.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Regardless of the local school schedule and block out dates, it should get crowded only to a point, if capacity remains capped at 35%.

Certainly, Disney might has reallocated more capacity to Annual Pass Holders but still, yesterday at the Magic Kingdom seemed far more crowded than when Chapek reported the capacity increase to 35%. Perhaps capacity was increased, even if it only was for yesterday?

Conversely, if capacity still is limited to 35%, then it seems to me that 35% is far too high for the Magic Kingdom, based on what my sister experienced yesterday.
As been discussed on other threads, no one knows what 35% actually is. The non-operational attractions and reduced cast members working, and hours of operation could factor into the equation also.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Thanks.

My point is that I've had 3 onsite stays since theme park capacity was set to whatever 35% is. My sister spent 2 weeks at WDW in November when capacity was set at 35%.

We both were there on days when there was no remaining Park Passes for all 3 categories.

We both have pretty good feels of what the parks felt like at 35%, regardless of what this 35% represents.

Yesterday (January 4) at the Magic Kingdom was much more crowded than what we experienced during our other trips at "35%".
I completely agree, yet the physical number of guests in the park day to day at 35% is impossible to calculate for any of us.

What I'd like to know is how often the park hopping is maxed out - local PH can't hop in on a whim if they didn't book another park that day. I suppose you can book epcot (because it's never full) but to go through the hassle of entering and leaving and then travel to another park seems like a lot of wasted time, especially if your epcot entry doesn't yield a magnet or cutting board!

bpiper

Thanks.

My point is that I've had 3 onsite stays since theme park capacity was set to whatever 35% is. My sister spent 2 weeks at WDW in November when capacity was set at 35%.

We both were there on days when there was no remaining Park Passes for all 3 categories.

We both have pretty good feels of what the parks felt like at 35%, regardless of what this 35% represents.

Yesterday (January 4) at the Magic Kingdom was much more crowded than what we experienced during our other trips at "35%".
How do we know its still at 35%? Maybe its at 40% now with all of the subtle changes they have made.

They upped it to 35% without any public announcement. We didn't find out until the earnings call. This may have happened again...

Pardonmyfrench

I was in MK on January 4. I saw NO ONE without masks on unless they were eating or drinking. It was definitely more crowded than I thought it would have been, definitely more crowded than on 12/31 when we were there. The waits were longer than 12/31 but manageable. We were only there from about 8:45 - 2:15 and got on everything we wanted to get on (the mountains, haunted, small world), plus had breakfast and lunch. Had we stayed the whole day, we definitely would have gone on anything we wanted.

JohnD

Right now, whenever "large crowds" are reported, or you're told a park is "at capacity" (looking at you ITM. They're the worst when it comes to over the top clickbait headlines), remember park capacity is still 35% (or possibly now 40% as reported above).

Jrb1979

Right now, whenever "large crowds" are reported, or you're told a park is "at capacity" (looking at you ITM. They're the worst when it comes to over the top clickbait headlines), remember park capacity is still 35% (or possibly now 40% as reported above).
Which IMO is still way to many people in the parks. Last time I looked Covid is still around and with high case numbers.

tanc

Bound to happen to me, the false impression of barely any lines is why. The crowds from what it was like in August are long gone. The weather is just too nice right now I would imagine.

Giss Neric

Poor social distancing and even a couple of people not wearing masks. Also overheard 3 families getting reprimanded for not wearing masks.
No matter how efficient any park is in enforcing these rules, it still boils down first and foremost to the guest themselves. I know the CMs should always expect the worst but a couple of people monitoring hundreds or thousands of guests is impossible. The parks already sounds like prison with all the constant voiceover reminders but still no effect. Personally, I think they are doing a pretty great job compared to other parks in the state. Go to theme parks outside of Florida and you're basically taking a risk once you enter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom