News Magic Kingdom and Epcot Fireworks to Resume July 1st

arich35

Because of the way the mobile order works, If you try to order lunch at noon at many restaurants you will get food at 1:30. If you want to eat at noon you need to order it much earlier and schedule what you want and where you will be when you want it. It’s a PITA.
I have been here for 6 days and haven't had that issue, anytime we have mobile ordered there was a spot within 10 minutes of when we ordered it

peter11435

Is this a new problem? I never had an issue pre-covid
I have been here for 6 days and haven't had that issue, anytime we have mobile ordered there was a spot within 10 minutes of when we ordered it
It depends on the restaurant but it’s mostly lunch and mostly in the parks. There are many factors contributing to why it is happening.

rle4lunch

Got back from a trip on May 1st. We had similar wait times, but it was mostly around 30-40 minutes after ordering (especially peak eating times). Sometimes it was a order on the spot and get it within 5 minutes, maybe around 25% of the time. The worst offender for us was Pecos Bill's and the Friar's Nook. Plus, the mobile ordering got glitchy on a bunch of us waiting for our orders once, and cancelled everyone in my general vicinity. I walked up and showed them that it was in my past order history and they got the food going on the spot.

TrainsOfDisney

If Disney is the greedy money hound you say it is, it wouldn't be following any of the COVID protocols.
I believe Disney still has to follow certain protocols not to upset the unions.
Does anyone believe that Disney doesn't want all their restaurants open and packed with people? That would make them a ton of money.
I do believe that. Disney hasn’t had all their MK restaurants open for over a decade. By closing many restaurants it puts the available restaurants at peak capacity the entire time they are open and that means decreased restaurant operating expenses park wide.

peter11435

I believe Disney still has to follow certain protocols not to upset the unions.

I do believe that. Disney hasn’t had all their MK restaurants open for over a decade. By closing many restaurants it puts the available restaurants at peak capacity the entire time they are open and that means decreased restaurant operating expenses park wide.
What restaurants were closed pre Covid?

Weather_Lady

What restaurants were closed pre Covid?
OT, but there are some restaurants that operate "seasonally," meaning they're only open for a few days per year. I believe Tortuga Tavern and Tomorrowland Terrace are two of them -- we don't visit at Christmas or on other major holidays, so I haven't seen either one of them open (except for when TT was used for the upcharge Dessert Party, but even then the CS remained closed) in some 15 years.

peter11435

At MK? Tomorrowland Terrace, Polly’s Dockside, Tortuga Tavern, Diamond Horseshoe and Golden Oak Outpost. They were all closed on my last pre-covid trip.

Yes I’m aware some of them open seasonally.
When was your last visit? Diamond Horseshoe had been open regularly for the last couple years before Covid. Serving an all you can eat table service bbq meal.

I’ll give you that many of the others do operate seasonally, but I would argue that a theme park that can see days with 80k guests and days with less than half of that should have restaurant capacity that can be brought online when demand dictates.

TrainsOfDisney

When was your last visit? Diamond Horseshoe had been open regularly for the last couple years before Covid. Serving an all you can eat table service bbq meal.

I’ll give you that many of the others do operate seasonally, but I would argue that a theme park that can see days with 80k guests and days with less than half of that should have restaurant capacity that can be brought online when demand dictates.
A few weeks before the closure in February. It’s possible it was open for dinner only and I passed by it at lunch? I’m pretty certain it was completely closed though.

In the Parks
Yes
WDW can legally, by FL law, flood the parks with as many guests as they can cram in there and make tons more money. But they don't because they're voluntarily following COVID protocols. They're losing money by doing that. And yet, some geniuses claim this is a sign of cost cutting.

Fix your logic circuits.
Well, pretty good point except that there are limits to the cram rate and some of those limits are not directly covid related. For example, the RCID fire marshal sets (max) park limits based on several things, one being how many CMs are present at work in the park (for crowd control, evacuation execution, etc.). So, reduced CM staff also means reduced crowds. It's a complex item and a big part of the reason why Disney is slow to open up attendance numbers. I do realize that many CMs were readily available to return to work when WDW reopened but also, many were not. And then there's training/re-training.

Fireworks are another 'iceberg' issue. Bringing the staff back is one thing but then Disney also has to reopen their ATF license, go through their entire stock of shells, test and weed out any that have passed their expiration date, refill their local stock rooms, test every launcher and the launch system, etc... It all takes time.

In the end though, I would say 'staffing' is their biggest issue - from on-stage CMs to support staff, college program, international program, etc. It all takes time, especially with so many levels of checks and balances. I have no idea when fireworks will be back but I do know that Disney has been working towards that since right after the holidays. And it's not their top priority.
That's the way I see it anyway!

TrainsOfDisney

Well, pretty good point except that there are limits to the cram rate and some of those limits are not directly covid related. For example, the RCID fire marshal sets (max) park limits based on several things, one being how many CMs are present at work in the park (for crowd control, evacuation execution, etc.). So, reduced CM staff also means reduced crowds. It's a complex item and a big part of the reason why Disney is slow to open up attendance numbers. I do realize that many CMs were readily available to return to work when WDW reopened but also, many were not. And then there's training/re-training.

Fireworks are another 'iceberg' issue. Bringing the staff back is one thing but then Disney also has to reopen their ATF license, go through their entire stock of shells, test and weed out any that have passed their expiration date, refill their local stock rooms, test every launcher and the launch system, etc... It all takes time.

In the end though, I would say 'staffing' is their biggest issue - from on-stage CMs to support staff, college program, international program, etc. It all takes time, especially with so many levels of checks and balances. I have no idea when fireworks will be back but I do know that Disney has been working towards that since right after the holidays. And it's not their top priority.
That's the way I see it anyway!
Is that a different license than castle pyro requires?

MagicHappens1971

Because of the way the mobile order works, If you try to order lunch at noon at many restaurants you will get food at 1:30. If you want to eat at noon you need to order it much earlier and schedule what you want and where you will be when you want it. It’s a PITA.
It is. On my March trip I had planned to grab food @ Woodys Lunchbox, we went to get food around noonish and there were no open windows until 2:30. That’s insane

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom