News Magic Kingdom and Epcot Fireworks to Resume July 1st

Giss Neric

A close friend has been there for 10 days, returning home today. Says it was her worst trip ever. She's leaving very disappointed. And her expectations were very much lowered from the get go. She had a very realistic idea of what to expect.
If she already had that mindset even before the trip then that's all she's gonna focus on throughout the trip. I know people like that and all they give me is negative energy. Nope.

I'm more concerned since you're a close friend why did you not give her guidance or advice on how to have a better experience since I assume you know more since you're here.

ToTBellHop

WDW can legally, by FL law, flood the parks with as many guests as they can cram in there and make tons more money. But they don't because they're voluntarily following COVID protocols. They're losing money by doing that. And yet, some geniuses claim this is a sign of cost cutting.

Fix your logic circuits.
Exactly. They are choosing a crowd level where, at peak, you actually wait about an hour for FoP. It used to have 3 hour queues. Someone decided not to do that to guests who are distancing and wearing masks. They could have. They’d make more money. But they decided not to.

It’s worth an hour, too. Some people expect last July’s 15-minute waits. That was a one-time experience (we hope...no more pandemics!).

If your mindset is, “I’ll suffer through masks for walk-on rides,” your trip will suck. I intend to enjoy morning rides and evenings in the parks (weren’t open at night last summer) and the pool each afternoon. Should be a great family vacay.

And I‘m gonna eat. And eat.

drizgirl

If she already had that mindset even before the trip then that's all she's gonna focus on throughout the trip. I know people like that and all they give me is negative energy. Nope.

I'm more concerned since you're a close friend why did you not give her guidance or advice on how to have a better experience since I assume you know more since you're here.
That was with the full force of my vast expertise. ;) Just texted her a moment ago to let her know to keep the tank full as they head out of FL. She had no idea about the gas situation.

She wasn't that negative going in, just trying to be realistic. Things like saying "I know things are different, but just being back in Disney after the year we had will be enough". Turns out it wasn't.

So it wasn't a negative outlook, just trying to be realistic.

drizgirl

Exactly. They are choosing a crowd level where, at peak, you actually wait about an hour for FoP. It used to have 3 hour queues. Someone decided not to do that to guests who are distancing and wearing masks. They could have. They’d make more money. But they decided not to.

It’s worth an hour, too. Some people expect last July’s 15-minute waits. That was a one-time experience (we hope...no more pandemics!).

If your mindset is, “I’ll suffer through masks for walk-on rides,” your trip will suck. I intend to enjoy morning rides and evenings in the parks (weren’t open at night last summer) and the pool each afternoon. Should be a great family vacay.

And I‘m gonna eat. And eat.
The hour long waits for mobile were sort of a buzz kill on the eating front.

Early May has traditionally been a sweet spot for attendance. She certainly didn't expect what they encountered, but it's hard to know what to expect these days. Circumstances are unlike prior years and change very quickly. For example, reservations were completely booked for last week for a while leading up to their trip, then all of a sudden opened back for all parks again. So a last minute bump in capacity.

Jrb1979

WDW can legally, by FL law, flood the parks with as many guests as they can cram in there and make tons more money. But they don't because they're voluntarily following COVID protocols. They're losing money by doing that. And yet, some geniuses claim this is a sign of cost cutting.

Fix your logic circuits.
I look at it as them saying "How little can we offer and still get people suckered to pay full price". I'm sorry but like I said the way they have handled reopening hasn't been good. Delaying opening of new attractions and how slow they are to bringing things back I'm not impressed. Any other place did that there would be an uproar over it.

Giss Neric

That was with the full force of my vast expertise. ;) Just texted her a moment ago to let her know to keep the tank full as they head out of FL. She had no idea about the gas situation.

She wasn't that negative going in, just trying to be realistic. Things like saying "I know things are different, but just being back in Disney after the year we had will be enough". Turns out it wasn't.

Fair enough. I guess I had a different interpretation cause "it's her worst trip ever" is a little exaggerated. Maybe worst trip ever for someone who goes often is more understandable cause you will definitely feel the difference than someone who went on their first trip saying it's their worst trip but also they did no research and planning.

Dranth

Said Bobby.
It hurts me to say this but I have to agree with Bob. At least temporarily. Though after having just said that I feel dirty. Really dirty.

I am firmly on the “we are paying more for less over time” train and have seen it first hand from food quality, staffing issues, upkeep, generic merchandise roll out, loss of parades, the murder and subsequent desecration of the corpse that was once known as EPCOT Center, etc. However, it turns out the worst offender may well have been the insane overcrowding.

I knew I hated the crowded mess the whole site had become but it was truly amazing to see just how much of a difference it really made. It was such a stark contrast when I was there last October that it ended up being one of the best trips I have had there in a good while. I didn’t care that the generic plastic junk I was looking it I had just seen in two other shops. I was just happy I had a chance to look at it without getting run over by a stroller. I didn’t care the food tasted like it came from the frozen meal isle of my local grocery store, I was just happy I didn’t stand in a 45-minute line to order it with nowhere to sit and eat afterword’s. Despite all the restrictions and missing shows, not having that insane crowd breathing down my neck made it such a better experience overall that I couldn’t help but feel more satisfied than I had in previous trips.

All a long-winded way of saying it doesn’t surprise me that guest satisfaction is up because one of the worst parts of the trip isn’t in play right now.

Now I have to go take a shower and scrub the taking up for Bob layer of filth off of me.

Last edited:

drizgirl

Fair enough. I guess I had a different interpretation cause "it's her worst trip ever" is a little exaggerated. Maybe worst trip ever for someone who goes often is more understandable cause you will definitely feel the difference than someone who went on their first trip saying it's their worst trip but also they did no research and planning.
She typically goes once a year.

AmesTARDIS

It did sound like your friend was trying to be realistic- not doomy and gloomy. Also, stating the obvious, each guest's experience will differ. Staying on property or off, monorail or walking resort, with kids/ without, etc.

rreading

A close friend has been there for 10 days, returning home today. Says it was her worst trip ever. She's leaving very disappointed. And her expectations were very much lowered from the get go. She had a very realistic idea of what to expect.

I've told my family when we go in June that I definitely expect us to enjoy universal more (it will be our first trip and I'm not expecting to be a universal fan at all, but...). No FP. Scant dining availability (seriously: at 50 days out, NOTHING was available - neither expensive nor cheap). Essentially no shows. When my boy and I were there in October, were we not WDW regulars, he would have hated it. We had to leave HS to head back to Boardwalk to relax and swim by 10:30 as HS was so crowded that morning. The next day, we got to MK and the lines in Tomorrowland were crazy so we tried to get a snack. He wanted a pretzel and we were over behind the castle before he gave up and decided that he would wait 15min to get an ice-cream.

We've got really low expectations for this June's trip

AEfx

That's why I can't even imagine going right now. Even if you believe you don't have anything to worry about with COVID, I just cannot fathom spending the same thousands and thousands of dollars to be there to get such a truncated experience.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I look at it as them saying "How little can we offer and still get people suckered to pay full price". I'm sorry but like I said the way they have handled reopening hasn't been good. Delaying opening of new attractions and how slow they are to bringing things back I'm not impressed. Any other place did that there would be an uproar over it.
Yeah, I know you look at it that way.

I'm just pointing out that you're wrong. It is illogical since you're not considering any of these supposed cuts as related to COVID protocols.

If Disney is the greedy money hound you say it is, it wouldn't be following any of the COVID protocols.

But you can't seem to bring yourself to acknowledge that some COVID protocols are purposefully chosen by Disney because they want to follow COVID protocols. And so, you claim, without any inside information, it's cost-cutting... even though Disney could make much more money by dropping COVID protocols.

It is a claim on your part that is not only devoid of merit, but runs counter to logic.

drizgirl

That's why I can't even imagine going right now. Even if you believe you don't have anything to worry about with COVID, I just cannot fathom spending the same thousands and thousands of dollars to be there to get such a truncated experience.
They were all fully vaccinated plus 3 weeks before they went, so Covid really wasn't a concern for them. It was more about the lack of services for the people who were there.

Jrb1979

I'm just pointing out that you're wrong. It is illogical since you're not considering any of these supposed cuts as related to COVID protocols.

If Disney is the greedy money hound you say it is, it wouldn't be following any of the COVID protocols.

But you can't seem to bring yourself to acknowledge that some COVID protocols are purposefully chosen by Disney because they want to follow COVID protocols. And so, you claim, without any inside information, it's cost-cutting... even though Disney could make much more money by dropping COVID protocols.

It is a claim on your part that is not only devoid of merit, but runs counter to logic.
Whatever. I'm used to the lawyers defending the Mouse now.

I never said its cost cutting but the optics look that way that's all. I understand they want to continue with Covid protocols.

drizgirl

I suspect there's a lot we as casual customers don't understand about how Covid protocols have limited what Disney can do. But Disney has too strong a reputation for cost cutting for me not to be suspicious that some things might be slow walked while they recoup some of their losses.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I suspect there's a lot we as casual customers don't understand about how Covid protocols have limited what Disney can do. But Disney has too strong a reputation for cost cutting for me not to be suspicious that some things might be slow walked while they recoup some of their losses.
Right. And our insiders let us know when budgets have been cut. But they're not saying that now.

Also, Disney can make more money by dropping COVID protocols, and they're not.

Just look at FotLK. When people heard that there were no tumble monkeys and aerialist acts, they said "cost-cutting." But, those were the two acts in which the CMs touched one another. Clearly a COVID protocol thing. Plus, the CMs who are the aerialists weren't cut. They're still there and dancing, but not doing the aerial act which requires them to touch each other. Disney is still paying them. Such a change couldn't be done for the tumble monkeys. So... it wasn't cost-cutting at all. But the true believers still proclaim it was cost-cutting despite insiders telling them it wasn't.

Does anyone believe that Disney doesn't want all their restaurants open and packed with people? That would make them a ton of money. And yet, restaurants are still following COVID protocols, which means Disney is losing money by following those protocols... which they don't have to (because... Florida). Is keeping restaurants closed and at 25% capacity an example of "cost cutting"?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom