News Magic Kingdom and Epcot Fireworks to Resume July 1st

EricsBiscuit

I don't really see how its confusing in the slightest. Disney is the most brand conscious and bad PR adverse of any theme parks - with good reason, because as the "big dog" in the industry there is a ton more scrutiny and attention on them than on anyone else (including Uni). Universal can get by having fireworks without any negative PR because the media isn't going to pay attention to them. Once Disney allows fireworks again, it will be all over the news, all over the country. So they have to be extra cautious to make sure it is done in a way that won't get (much of any) negative attention.

Being the industry leader has a lot of benefits, like brand loyalty and unpaid advertising, but also comes with the downside that every move is more scrutinized and reported.
The only people who would think the fireworks returning soon is a negative are people who are not gonna visit a theme park in any case right now. If you don’t feel safe in a crowd watching the fireworks, you don’t have to be on Main Street or even in the park at all at 9~ pm!

It’s a lovely excuse to save $$$.

It’s $$$.

If they were concerned about that they would have cancelled the projection show and pyro during the holidays when crowds were bunching up to watch.
No, during the holidays it was more of a small thing, no need for big non disney news sources to post "FIREWORKS RETURN TO A BUSY WDW". It is similar to how park pass reservations were sold out for spring break and large non disney news sites had articles saying "WDW FULLY BOOKED FOR SPRING BREAK" When in reality it makes sense but to a non disney person it sounds like the park was sold out and busy at 100% cap

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It’s a lovely excuse to save $$$.

It’s $$$.

If they were concerned about that they would have cancelled the projection show and pyro during the holidays when crowds were bunching up to watch.
I don't understand this.

Our insiders readily point out when something is cut to save money.

So, when our insiders say the tumble monkeys and aerials are cut from FotLK becuase of COVID protocols and not money...

People with no inside knowledge say it's actually because to save money.​

And when our insiders say fireworks aren't back yet because of COVID protocols and not money...

Our insiders readily point out when something is cut to save money, but when they say there is a cut for some other reason... then others start ""correcting"" them by proclaiming it's actually to save money. And that is nothing short of a conspiracy theory... and an insult to our insiders.

I don't understand this.

danv3

I'm still baffled by how cautious Disney is playing all of this. I don't understand the reasoning unless it's money.
With Disney, it's always money. Always.

Even if there's some other reasoning playing a part in the thinking, it still boils down to money.

Even when the excuse is "COVID protocols" -- even that really boils down to money if the underlying concern is liability or reputational damage.

peter11435

With Disney, it's always money. Always.

Even if there's some other reasoning playing a part in the thinking, it still boils down to money.

Even when the excuse is "COVID protocols" -- even that really boils down to money if the underlying concern is liability or reputational damage.
Nope

If everything was about money there’s a lot of things they would be doing a lot differently right now. They are leaving a lot of money on the table at the moment for reasons that aren’t “money”

doctornick

Still money.

Possibly wrongheaded decisions about money, but still money.

Look, I can appreciate the argument that it's "about money" in the sense that they are looking at long term financial issues when making these decisions (as opposed to short term profits) and that's why they are being cautious as opposed to a general beneficence. That is where their reputation and avoiding negative PR comes into play. But with @marni1971 and others saying so, I'm inclined to accept that the lack of fireworks and other things that can draw big crowds is indeed mostly about caution (and PR) than simply saving money right now. Especially since it makes perfect sense that Disney among all theme park operators would be excessively worried about PR/media coverage/image.

doctornick

The only people who would think the fireworks returning soon is a negative are people who are not gonna visit a theme park in any case right now. If you don’t feel safe in a crowd watching the fireworks, you don’t have to be on Main Street or even in the park at all at 9~ pm!

Sure. But that wouldn't stop media outlets or bloggers - people who are in the "I wouldn't go to WDW right now because it is unsafe" group - from writing and commenting about how horrible Disney is for creating crowding and being a super spreader. Regardless of how accurate that would be.

Disney is very negative PR adverse. Perhaps overly and unreasonably so, but it's not exactly a new phenomena for them.

Squishy

I don't understand this.

Our insiders readily point out when something is cut to save money.

So, when our insiders say the tumble monkeys and aerials are cut from FotLK becuase of COVID protocols and not money...

And when our insiders say fireworks aren't back yet because of COVID protocols and not money...

Our insiders readily point out when something is cut to save money, but when they say there is a cut for some other reason... then others start ""correcting"" them by proclaiming it's actually to save money. And that is nothing short of a conspiracy theory... and an insult to our insiders.

I don't understand this.
I'll believe our insiders who have real information than you who only have this conspiracy theory you're attached to.
1620770449259.png

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Anyone who’s been to Disney World in the evenings recently would understand immediately that it’s not about money, because it’s costing Disney a fortune to not run fireworks. There’s almost no one there after 5. No one is there buying $4 sodas or $3.50 bottles of water or $15 sandwiches at ABC Commissary. No one is buying $85 spirit jerseys or $90 Loungeflys.

It’s quiet, nice actually. Longest wait at DHS some nights is 20 minutes (excluding the super capacity controlled TOT). But it’s costing Disney a fortune. The fireworks don’t exist to bring you joy. They exist to keep people in the park past dinnertime.

ToTBellHop

Anyone who’s been to Disney World in the evenings recently would understand immediately that it’s not about money, because it’s costing Disney a fortune to not run fireworks. There’s almost no one there after 5. No one is there buying $4 sodas or $3.50 bottles of water or $15 sandwiches at ABC Commissary. No one is buying $85 spirit jerseys or $90 Loungeflys.

It’s quiet, nice actually. Longest wait at DHS some nights is 20 minutes (excluding the super capacity controlled TOT). But it’s costing Disney a fortune. The fireworks don’t exist to bring you joy. They exist to keep people in the park past dinnertime.
Particularly true at Epcot.

HairyChest

The issue that I have with the theme parks in the evenings is the restaurants aren’t open late enough. Even when Epcot closes at 11, Via Napoli closes at 7pm. It doesn’t work for me and my family. That’s why Disney Springs is at capacity in the evenings.

peter11435

The issue that I have with the theme parks in the evenings is the restaurants aren’t open late enough. Even when Epcot closes at 11, Via Napoli closes at 7pm. It doesn’t work for me and my family. That’s why Disney Springs is at capacity in the evenings.
Yes because the restaurants can’t make money without enough people and there’s not enough people without fireworks

CastAStone

Premium Member
It’s certainly true that the TS places are closing early but it’s also true that the QS places are quiet for dinner, so it’s not exactly inspiring anyone to extend hours.

TrainsOfDisney

I don't understand this.
You don’t understand that this a discussion board? This isn’t a heirarchy where certain insiders opinion ranks above others. We are all entitled to our opinions and we all have different sources.

The real Bob Chapek himself wouldn’t be able to say why certain decisions were made in Orlando but at this point Disney could have started doing fireworks shows if they wanted to. And running the Epcot monorail. And running parking lot trams. And running all theaters (not all shows as is, but all theaters could have shows in them), etc. etc.

jrhwdw

Not to go off topic for a while but I guess it's a Blessing that Epcot's open till 10/11 if major sit down places close around 7? Pre COVID, WS Food was open till ROE/EF Correct? Or, was there a cut off somewhere since the Park always closed at the start of ROE/EF?

Last edited:

CastAStone

Premium Member
Not to go off topic for a while but I guess it's a Blessing that Epcot's open till 10/11 if major sit down places close around 7? Pre COVID, WS Food was open till ROE/EF Correct? Or, was there a cut off somewhere since the Park always closed at the start of ROE/EF?
Epcot was generally open past ROE 1-2 nights a week during Diet Epcot (one of which was EMH) and 2-3 nights a week during festivals (again one of which was ROE)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom