Magic Kingdom closing two shops in January 2014

jmuboy

The shops in NOS are generic too.

At the same time that mainstream retailers are trying to create unique shopping experiences based on the way Disney did it long ago, Disney is dumbing everything down.

At least in NOS they are still shops!! Not fastpass kiosks.

TDO sold us on every store needing to make money. That's why a "thematic experience " shop like the silversmith or a store selling historical American products could not operate in LS. We see thats not true anymore.

MarkTwain

The shops in NOS are generic too.

At the same time that mainstream retailers are trying to create unique shopping experiences based on the way Disney did it long ago, Disney is dumbing everything down.

They're not AS generic. NOS still has a crystal shop, a perfume shop, shops dedicated each to Pirates and Nightmare Before Christmas (maybe not unique merchandise but still a unique reason for going in them instead of generic Disney crap). And as @jmuboy noted, at least they're still shops...

Scuttle

I suspect that these MM+ centers are going to be temporary while people adjust to the learning curve. There's no way Disney wants to have this much staff devoted to this permanently.
You'd think they would want the Merch sales back ASAP.

jt04

Could I recommended they take this opportunity to finally turn Liberty Square into an actual "square" per the original Magic Kingdom plans?

Never mind. I guess I just did.

The Visionary Soul

Just an FYI, I believe this FP+ Kiosk is just temporary in the Heritage House until they can refurbish the existing FastPass Distribution areas into FP+ Kiosks. I still expect merchandise to return there in the future... at least, in part of the space.

COProgressFan

Disney's ability to willingly destroy its own theme parks, somehow, still never ceases to surprise me. You'd think one of these days I'd catch on...

They certainly do seem hell bent on destroying them, don't they?

It's almost like they sit around and think "What are the things that made us so popular and successful (and profitable!) for 40 years?"

And then reply, "I have an idea, let's get rid of all those things!"

It's like a bizarro world.

EPCOTCenterLover

Heck, I can remember when that building wasn't just a themed gift shop, but was the queue and boarding area for an actual ride; Mike Fink's Keelboats!
mkthennow1_hauntedmansion1983ww.jpg

Anyone remember the 20th Century when Magic Kingdom Park had actual rides on the Rivers of America? Now in the 2010's the park has lots of closed buildings that the young'uns thought were only supposed to be gifts shops back in the 2000's. :cool:
Yes, I do! There was a real energy on the river then. It didn't feel like a theme park but a piece of history.

asianway

Looks like Tower Gifts has also fallen.

Cheap MB crap is now the focus.

At what point do we start going after the sacred cow aka Jim McPhee aka the fanboi savior? Most of this crap is coming from him

COProgressFan

Looks like Tower Gifts has also fallen.

Cheap MB crap is now the focus.

At what point do we start going after the sacred cow aka Jim McPhee aka the fanboi savior? Most of this crap is coming from him

Wait, is that the gift shop at the ToT exit? Are you saying that heavily themed shop that is actually fits the area and attraction itself is being turned into a MM+ center?

Hopefully I'm misunderstanding.

EDIT: Ok, so it looks like that's the name of one of the 2 shops at the entrance to World Showcase.

Still a shame, but not as bad, considering they've been selling generic plush and assorted junk for quite a while now.

asianway

Wait, is that the gift shop at the ToT exit? Are you saying that heavily themed shop that is actually fits the area and attraction itself is being turned into a MM+ center?

Hopefully I'm misunderstanding.

EDIT: Ok, so it looks like that's the name of one of the 2 shops at the entrance to World Showcase.

Still a shame, but not as bad, considering they've been selling generic plush and assorted junk for quite a while now.
Maybe it's tower hotel gifts the tot shop. Now focused on selling magic band merch

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Wow - and I was silly enough to think generic merchandise was bad. Disney goes and surprises me and dumbed down the space even more. Guess my expectations were just not low enough.

This undershot even my extremely low expectations. Gives new meaning to 'Tragic Band' and this WAS one of the best shops on the property always could find something interesting to buy there.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I suspect that these MM+ centers are going to be temporary while people adjust to the learning curve. There's no way Disney wants to have this much staff devoted to this permanently.

But due to the complexity they will NEED to especially since Disney is catering only to FIRST timers!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom