Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattFrees71

I’ve said this since 2016, this park needs massive help. It’s become the mixed bag of every Disney Castle Park, but the park is also injected with massive parts of nostalgia, which after about 10 minutes to people who care about the little Disney details, wears away and flaws become noticeably evident.

This is also where the issue of the focus of “fixing one park at a time” becomes evident as well, the same thing that has made EPCOT what it is. My worry now, is that Magic will suffer the same fate EPCOT did around 9/11
This... They really need to go back to their roots and get a couple more classic Fantasyland Dark rides. I think it would have been brilliant to bring back a reimagined Mr. Toad's Wild Ride for the 50th.

TYOTimer

This... They really need to go back to their roots and get a couple more classic Fantasyland Dark rides. I think it would have been brilliant to bring back a reimagined Mr. Toad's Wild Ride for the 50th.
IMO, Fantasyland is fine as it is, since it got a “refresh” in the early 2010s. Tomorrowland and Adventureland are the 2 that massively need help at the moment, along with Frontierland following closely behind.

My thought for what should’ve happened for the 50th (pre-COVID) has been this: redo Main Street and get the facades as great as they possibly can be, with Tron coming in, let that be the signal of the changing of Tomorrowland, and, my biggest thing, was that they repurposed Rivers of America, and Tom Sawyer Island, and made a new land that could fill in back there. Maybe a New Orleans Square? Maybe a Villains land like what was proposed in the late 90s? But that would be a way to make the park more open, you could put more B & C people eater attractions in there, and help with capacity

doctornick

Yes, I’ve often thought that a reimagined Mr Toads using LPS would be great and appeal to nostalgia folks. I’d love to see a “toon town” in DHS that would house such a ride as well as other animated attractions (would also like to see the Roger Rabbit ride brought to WDW)

Brer Panther

They could've easily torn out the Tomorrowland Speedway for it. That takes up a lot of space, doesn't it?

MattFrees71

IMO, Fantasyland is fine as it is, since it got a “refresh” in the early 2010s. Tomorrowland and Adventureland are the 2 that massively need help at the moment, along with Frontierland following closely behind.

My thought for what should’ve happened for the 50th (pre-COVID) has been this: redo Main Street and get the facades as great as they possibly can be, with Tron coming in, let that be the signal of the changing of Tomorrowland, and, my biggest thing, was that they repurposed Rivers of America, and Tom Sawyer Island, and made a new land that could fill in back there. Maybe a New Orleans Square? Maybe a Villains land like what was proposed in the late 90s? But that would be a way to make the park more open, you could put more B & C people eater attractions in there, and help with capacity
IMO, the New Fantasyland looks nice, but it lacks in quality and quantity. A short family mine train roller coaster, removal of a classic Fantasyland dark ride for a meet and greet, huge amounts of space taken up just for a restaurant (Be Our Guest) and a walkthrough show (Enchanted Tales) that is a snoozefest for most people above the age of 12, Little Mermaid ride which had so much potential that was unrealized, more vast space taken up for meet and greets in the Circus area... Again, I give applause to much of the theming, queue lines, and outside aesthetic, but there was so much more/better I think that could have been done, and I believe it would have been more satisfying to add a few C-ticket level attractions instead of these massive additions of which many aren't rides at all. As for remaining Fantasyland, I'm ok with Small World the way it is, but Peter Pan's Flight really needs help- I think a copy of Shanghai's is the standard that things need to be up to at WDW MK.

Brer Panther

IMO, the New Fantasyland looks nice, but it lacks in quality and quantity. A short family mine train roller coaster, removal of a classic Fantasyland dark ride for a meet and greet, huge amounts of space taken up just for a restaurant (Be Our Guest) and a walkthrough show (Enchanted Tales) that is a snoozefest for most people above the age of 12, Little Mermaid ride which had so much potential that was unrealized, more vast space taken up for meet and greets in the Circus area... Again, I give applause to much of the theming, queue lines, and outside aesthetic, but there was so much more/better I think that could have been done, and I believe it would have been more satisfying to add a few C-ticket level attractions instead of these massive additions of which many aren't rides at all. As for remaining Fantasyland, I'm ok with Small World the way it is, but Peter Pan's Flight really needs help- I think a copy of Shanghai's is the standard that things need to be up to at WDW MK.
Word. The only things about New Fantasyland I really like are the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and the Be Our Guest restaurant (which, yeah, really didn't need to take up THAT MUCH SPACE). There's more that can be done with Fantasyland. Princess Fairytale Hall can be the first to get the axe.

ToTBellHop

Chapek just green-lit the plans for 10/1/21:

1598148146824.jpeg

Touchdown

I hope they aren’t keeping that color scheme, in my personal opinion it codes as extremely feminine in design and I have no interest in wearing iridescent logos. 50th anniversaries are supposed to be golden, using a dark contrasting color like black, navy blue, maroon or dark green works really well in my mind eye and something I would buy. It used to be that they designed anniversary apperal to appeal to all tastes/genders. The DL 60th anniversary stuff was great.

seabreezept813

I think it's still the worst park at WDW, so it's going to take a lot more than one solid addition to bump it up.

Not that it's bad (it's solid and I certainly wouldn't skip it), just that it's basically a half-day park whereas all the others at least have the potential for a full day. I don't know how you could even do a full day at DHS unless you just wanted to ride the same rides repeatedly and wait in line every time. EPCOT, while not everyone's cup of tea and a shell of what it once was, still has the aquarium and all the World Showcase pavilions that can suck up hours and hours of time (maybe not at the moment, though, with so much closed or a lesser experience than normal).

I haven't been on ROTR or MMRR yet, but they both look like good rides (ROTR looks incredible). With MMRR just replacing another great ride, though, the rest of Galaxy's Edge more like a double than a home run, and TSL being an almost complete failure, DHS still needs a lot of work.
I think if they had kept GMR, added 2-3 C rides—even clones like Monsters and updated at least one of the shows it would have made a world of difference.

KaliSplash

The reality is, they are unlikely to do anything that costs a significant sum of money. We're glad you're here. Now go back to your hotel.

Brer Oswald

A Mr. Toad revival seems like something that would fit well in the SWSA plot. No more two tracks, but you could maybe add some projection effects and some 3D figures/scenery not present in the California version. It’d be relatively cheap to install a C Ticket Dark Ride in comparison to an E Ticket. Not to mention Wild Ride is the most well known closed attraction, so the accolades and attention would be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom