Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

brb1006

Since Walt Disney World hadn't done an anniversary tag in decades. Here's video of their 25th Anniversary (1997).

Last edited:

MadTeacup

The whole thing about not having the labor to upkeep a parade leaves me with questions.
Does WDW not have a parade labor budget?
Is the talent extremely limited in Orlando for people that do this kind of work?
How does WDW even manage to run FoF?
To be fair, they do a pretty damn good job with the resources they have. Again, the biggest problem is the lack of downtime. Things DO get fixed. It definitely comes down to how the budget is spent. The talent is there, the amount of people they choose to hire are relatively few. The other issue with WDW parades is the lack of fully enclosed storage. That's the reason the Pinocchio float for MSEP was not sent back to California - animals wreaked havoc on its electrical systems, among other things. Disneyland only does a better job with maintenance because they have downtime and better storage facilities. The Soundsational floats were still falling apart by the end of that parade's run.

cheezbat

MSEP... *sigh*

TDO - "Everything old is new again! Well, it's still old, we're just going to make you think it's new."
Maybe one of us needs to go all Tiki Room Under New Management on MSEP and torch the thing...put it out of its misery once and for all.

I never really cared for that parade and it’s absolutely embarrassing that WDW keeps bringing it back...how come we always have to recycle things and get hand me downs while every other resort always gets new stuff?

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Maybe one of us needs to go all Tiki Room Under New Management on MSEP and torch the thing...put it out of its misery once and for all.

I never really cared for that parade and it’s absolutely embarrassing that WDW keeps bringing it back...how come we always have to recycle things and get hand me downs while every other resort always gets new stuff?
This is probably an oversimplification, but I suspect it's because people keep coming in record numbers without the "new stuff." I don't expect there are many executives who sit around the boardroom saying "let's spend a few million, just for funsies."

Please understand, I am neither advocating nor justifying this mindset, but it seems to be the kind of naked profit-mongering that defines today's Disney.

FerretAfros

How pathetic would it be if Disney World got more for DISNEYLAND'S 50th Anniversary than it will for its OWN 50th anniversary?
In all fairness, WDW got more for DL’s 50th than DL itself did back in 2005.

WDW had large, permanent improvements at 3 of its parks (plus Lucky the Dinosaur's short stint at DAK) along with resort-wide decorations. Cinderellabration brought about daily shows on the newly-rebuilt castle stage, which continues daily performances with the same configuration (despite the shows themselves having been swapped out a few times). Lights, Motors, Action! brought an ambitious and massive stunt show and sweeping reconfiguration of the Studios' backlot area. Soarin' brought a new attraction that remains one of the resort's most highly-rated all these years later, while simultaneously removed the uniqueness of DCA's single positively reviewed opening day attraction.

Meanwhile, DLR got (long overdue) routine maintenance for the aging park, a new parade for each park, new fireworks at DL, and decorations at a single park. While the atmosphere was festive, there wasn't a lot of substance to the celebration. Even MK's castle overlay was more ambitious than DL's.

Despite being the headliner of the 50th, DLR's additions were all pretty modest and done on a shoestring budget. Concrete planning for most of the celebration didn't begin until fall 2004, with a May 2005 launch. I know this is a WDW-centric site and it’s been 15+ years, but the lead-up to DL’s 50th was full consternation from west coast fans who were tired of being overshadowed by WDW's larger scale and revenues, culminating in DLR playing second-fiddle in its own anniversary celebration.

What DLR really benefitted from was the intangibles of the celebration, which helped pull the resort out of its post-DCA and post-9/11 slump, turn it into a true vacation destination, and make it a "cool" place for locals to hang out. Instead of focusing on a marketing blitz for some one-time additions, it seemed to mark a real turning point in the resort's culture, both for guests and cast. Without the 50th, I don't think DLR's rise in APs, DCA's relaunch, or its beloved social media status would have come about in the same manner.

We're still more than a year away from a potential summer/fall 2021 launch of WDW's 50th, so there's still plenty of time for them to pull something together. Whether WDW of 2020 is as nimble and welcoming of change as DLR of 2004, however, is a different question entirely.

DoleWhipDrea

Disneyland technically did get one new attraction for the 50th - Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters. Tim Allen came out to dedicate it.

Space Mountain opening from its multi-year refurbishment was the bigger deal. I can’t begin to tell you how much excitement was in the air.

The fireworks show Remember: Dreams Come True was the best of it all, though it was always upsetting when Disney couldn’t actually run the show due to the Santa Ana winds.

It’s interesting how history is repeating itself with DL and WDW switching roles, isn’t it? I would prefer all of the resorts to get an ample amount of consistent attention to maintenance plus new additions, but something will always happen. With the coronavirus shutting down the resorts in China, the adjusted finances will affect the parks for years to come. But don’t lose hope. DL’s 50th arguably forced the company to put in an effort, and it boosted attendance, which boosted DL’s future. WDW is primed for the same TLC & growth.

TTA94

I'm guessing WDW won't even get for its 50th close to what DLR got for its 60th.

Well, what Disneyland got for their 60th was still a traditional Anniversary entertainment lineup, which is a new parade and new nighttime firework show. The only difference was instead of the usual Anniversary daytime parade they got a nighttime parade (Paint The Night).

drizgirl

Well, what Disneyland got for their 60th was still a traditional Anniversary entertainment lineup, which is a new parade and new nighttime firework show. The only difference was instead of the usual Anniversary daytime parade they got a nighttime parade (Paint The Night).
Yeah, I'm saying WDW probably won't even get that.

TTA94

I wouldn’t mind a remake of the parade version of Remember The Magic. Maybe for MiSi or a FoF show stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom