Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I expect this to be nothing like Disneyland's 50th and far less than what we got in 2005. That was part of a different era, for lack of a better term. Different leadership, both at the top and at the park level, who actually "got it" when it came to theme parks, even with all of Eisner's second-decade warts.

Speedy71

Lack of an announcement of a new nighttime parade does not equate to not working on one. They could announce it a year from now and there would be plenty of time to build it up.

I like the 50th logo. But my bar for the overall 50th celebration is low, given the tendencies of this "leadership" team.

I for one think the 50th logo could do for more gold.

eddie104

That's really disappointing. I was planning to make two trips in 2021 because I assumed they'd be doing lots of cool stuff for the 50th. How foolish of me. 😞
We have no clue what they have planned for whats its worth.
I expect this to be nothing like Disneyland's 50th and far less than what we got in 2005. That was part of a different era, for lack of a better term. Different leadership, both at the top and at the park level, who actually "got it" when it came to theme parks, even with all of Eisner's second-decade warts.
Again you guys are being jaded just because the current leadership is your cup of tea which is fine but they haven't really announced anything specifically for the celebration.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We have no clue what they have planned for whats its worth.
Again you guys are being jaded just because the current leadership is your cup of tea which is fine but they haven't really announced anything specifically for the celebration.

Please, then, show us where Iger/Chapek/et al., have given *any* indication that they can give us a resort-wide celebration that involves more than cupcakes, buttons, and dance parties. They are the exact reason my expectations are low. 25th Anniversary / Millennium Celebration / 100 Years of Magic / Year of a Million Dreams / Happiest Homecoming On Earth. They have the blueprints, but have given no indication thus far that they have any desire to follow them.

eddie104

Please, then, show us where Iger/Chapek/et al., have given *any* indication that they can give us a resort-wide celebration that involves more than cupcakes, buttons, and dance parties. They are the exact reason my expectations are low. 25th Anniversary / Millennium Celebration / 100 Years of Magic / Year of a Million Dreams / Happiest Homecoming On Earth. They have the blueprints, but have given no indication thus far that they have any desire to follow them.
Maybe I'm just being more optimistic than some people but really why wouldn't want they want to monetize this celebration by making this a huge event ?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Maybe I'm just being more optimistic than some people but really why wouldn't want they want to monetize this celebration by making this a huge event ?

Oh, they'll monetize the bejeebers out of it. We just won't get much of anything outside of merchandise, cupcakes, and dance parties, based on "celebrations" in the past decade or so.

I think DL's 60th was well done (from an outsider view, I never went) so there is no reason to doubt they won't pull SOME guns out for their most iconic and lucrative resort

It was fairly good from what I experienced near the end of the celebration. But it's also a different clientele out there. ;)

Cmdr_Crimson

I for one think the 50th logo could do for more gold.
With what they had announced it could all end to this.
giphy.gif

Hotamber

For the 40th we got a repainted Orange bird statue and Citrus Swirls. I wonder if they will paint the bird gold and sell golden Citrus Swirls for the 50th. Get rid of that fake Orange Swirl. I'm keeping my expectations low and realistic

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh goodie...we’re on entry level with this one
They have not...and the reason is...likely...like 99.999% chance....
...because they crunched the numbers and analyzed their consumption patterns and realized they can’t really monetize this type of event in Florida any longer....
I think DL's 60th was well done (from an outsider view, I never went) so there is no reason to doubt they won't pull SOME guns out for their most iconic and lucrative resort
But Disneyland is where it can work...as it drives a much more local/regional fanbase to increased consumption with more ease.

MagicHappens1971

Also not that I’m very optimistic about what we might get for the 50th as TDA and TDO are very different but they made a very big deal about the 60th at Disneyland.

Dan Deesnee

My personal opinion...

Galaxy's Edge is making them second guess announcing big attractions / lands years in advance. In reality it does them no good. They absolutely do NOT want people delaying trips in 2020 to 2021. Maybe they believe attendance was down in 2019 because everyone was waiting for Galaxies Edge. Disney trips are typically planned about a year out. If they announce 20 awesome things coming in 2021... Well you can imagine what attendance could be like next year. The Epcot changes were already announced and are so broad and varied in scope it was the natural thing for them to talk about at D23.

Why didn't they announce anything huge and new for 2-3 years down the line? Safe bet is to announce projects that are 12 or less months out from opening. Maybe this is their new strategy for the time being?

Just a thought.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My personal opinion...

Galaxy's Edge is making them second guess announcing big attractions / lands years in advance. In reality it does them no good. They absolutely do NOT want people delaying trips in 2020 to 2021. Maybe they believe attendance was down in 2019 because everyone was waiting for Galaxies Edge. Disney trips are typically planned about a year out. If they announce 20 awesome things coming in 2021... Well you can imagine what attendance could be like next year. The Epcot changes were already announced and are so broad and varied in scope it was the natural thing for them to talk about at D23.

Why didn't they announce anything huge and new for 2-3 years down the line? Safe bet is to announce projects that are 12 or less months out from opening. Maybe this is their new strategy for the time being?

Just a thought.
That was their “old” strategy...

And they can’t build anything “fantastic” in a 12 month timeframe...or a 24 month timeframe for that matter...to hide anything.

If you want something decent for 10/1/21...you’re outta time

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Well, multiple insiders here have indicated that it would be a big deal. Plussing of attractions in MK, huge entertainment package, etc...

jrhwdw

Hopefully that huge entertainment package comes true! I'm really hoping for a night parade. Or something like F! Or a Castle stage nighttime Spectacular or Parades at 2 & 9 PM (which is what the parks used to do before MSEP opened) if TDO refuses a night parade....OMG! I'm giving MK options without a night parade!!! What's wrong with me! LOL!

They can't rely on 2014 FOF, 2017 HEA and MK'S OUAT, right???? Just a 50th MISI isn't going to cut it with anybody.

Last edited:

Jones14

Everything we know points to refurbs rather than new builds, which means they don’t really have to get going until the middle of next year if they decide to do all of them at once.

I’m concerned about the fate of new attractions going forward (Animal Kingdom seems to get exactly one ride of substance per decade), but I don’t know of anyone who heard of new rides beyond Tron, so I don’t think there’s cause to worry about the anniversary (yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom