Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

Serious question, maybe I am just struggling with my memory. But aside from sitting around a fire, what are the Natives doing? What ridiculous stereotypes do you mean?
Ever listened to the song?

“What Makes the Red Man Red?” (Groan)

Why does he ask you, "How?"
Once the Injun didn't know
All the things that he know now
But the Injun, he sure learn a lot
And it's all from asking, "How?"
Hana Mana Ganda
Hana Mana Ganda

We translate for you
Hana means what
mana means And
ganda means that too
When did he first say, "Ugh!"
In the Injun book it say
When the first brave married squaw
He gave out with a big ugh
When he saw his Mother-in-Law
What made the red man red?
Let's go back a million years
To the very first Injun prince
He kissed a maid and start to blush
And we've all been blushin' since
You've got it from the headman
The real true story of the red man
No matter what's been written or said
Now you know why the red man's red!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Ever listened to the song?

“What Makes the Red Man Red?” (Groan)

Once the Injun didn't know
All the things that he know now
But the Injun, he sure learn a lot
And it's all from asking, "How?"
Hana Mana Ganda
Hana Mana Ganda

We translate for you
Hana means what
mana means And
ganda means that too
In the Injun book it say
When the first brave married squaw
He gave out with a big ugh
When he saw his Mother-in-Law
Let's go back a million years
To the very first Injun prince
He kissed a maid and start to blush
And we've all been blushin' since
You've got it from the headman
The real true story of the red man
No matter what's been written or said
Now you know why the red man's red!
In the attraction? Is this song in the attraction? I don't deny the movie has some of it's time issues.

ToTBellHop

In the attraction? Is this song in the attraction? I don't deny the movie has some of it's time issues.
The issue is that perhaps we should update the ride when there is an inevitable Peter Pan remake without Injuns.

I’m shocked it hasn’t been greenlit already with their remake obsession. But with Mulan somehow costing $300 million, which it has no hope of recouping, they may slow down the remakes.

ImperfectPixie

The issue is that perhaps we should update the ride when there is an inevitable Peter Pan remake without Injuns.

I’m shocked it hasn’t been greenlit already with their remake obsession. But with Mulan somehow costing $300 million, which it has no hope of recouping, they may slow down the remakes.
Why do you think Mulan will do poorly? I have no horse in that race...just curious because in the FB group I run people seem very excited for it.

ToTBellHop

Why do you think Mulan will do poorly? I have no horse in that race...just curious because in the FB group I run people seem very excited for it.
What exactly is its market that will make it $600m? It’s not beloved like Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, or BatB. And they cut the music. But if it’s a war movie, they’ll have to strongly limit violence to keep the Disney label. Most will be confused by the project and its March release shows little optimism in the project.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I do not believe the song (with lyrics) is in the ride, but the background may have a tiny bit of instrumental.

Not to mention that real Native Americans are not deeply red in color like there are in the movie or the ride. Or even slightly red. Certainly no more red than plenty of Northern European gingers.

You tell me whose skin is red...

tirian

Here, let me lob this out there: If Peter Pan is being re-done, then we can remove some of the more ridiculous Native American stereotypes at the same time.

BTW, when are we getting a Peter Pan live-action remake?
The ride itself caricatures the lost boys, pirates, and American (Neverland?) Indians evenly.

But if the movie gets a live-action remake, that song definitely has to go away. Still, it’s not as horrific or cringe-worthy as “Ugawug” in the broadway show.

tirian

Not to mention that real Native Americans are not deeply red in color like there are in the movie or the ride. Or even slightly red. Certainly no more red than plenty of Northern European gingers.

You tell me whose skin is red...

View attachment 394889

View attachment 394890

View attachment 394893

It’s a black light ride...

...but does it matter? Because nothing is going to happen. Disney had the chance to update the ride during the queue “enhancement,” and we still have the tin foil volcano.

ImperfectPixie

What exactly is its market that will make it $600m? It’s not beloved like Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, or BatB. And they cut the music. But if it’s a war movie, they’ll have to strongly limit violence to keep the Disney label. Most will be confused by the project and its March release shows little optimism in the project.
Fair enough. Those I've seen talking about it seem to be aware that they're going to be more true to the actual legend instead of "fairy-taling it up", but they're pretty hard-core fans of the original.

ToTBellHop

Fair enough. Those I've seen talking about it seem to be aware that they're going to be more true to the actual legend instead of "fairy-taling it up", but they're pretty hard-core fans of the original.
I’m sure all 10 of them will love it. But $300 million is an insane budget.

aladdin2007

...but does it matter? Because nothing is going to happen. Disney had the chance to update the ride during the queue “enhancement,” and we still have the tin foil volcano.

part of its original charm which I love,,..at the same time I know it could be incredible if brought up to date,,,,yet also at the same time lol I love it like it is.... I think maybe because its just about the last attraction left where I get the same Magic Kingdom feeling as I had as a child.
It did bother me when they spent how many millions? on the queue enhancements but couldn't put that towards the actual ride at all.

peter11435

I’m not saying there will or will not be updates to the attraction. But the queue enhancements were done without impacting the attraction so there really was no more a chance then than any other time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom