Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

macsmom

Ah... well, we don't live in the alternate reality where Disney will build something -- yet to even be announced -- in a couple of years... at least I don't think we do... ;)

As an aside... when is "the 50th" technically set to start? It's in 2021... so are they going with Jan 2021 (start of the year... isn't this what they've done in the past?), or Oct 2021?

There was a previous celebration (can't remember which one) that started the October before the year started and ran through the whole year. For example, the 50th will start in October 2020 and run through December 2021.

TTA94

There was a previous celebration (can't remember which one) that started the October before the year started and ran through the whole year. For example, the 50th will start in October 2020 and run through December 2021.

The new nighttime parade debuting a year early? I’d be fine with that! Lol ;)

capsshield

With the Fox deal drawing to a close and the Disney + service soon coming on line I would bet upper management is not focused on the parks as much as they should be. The stock will take a big hit if those two project fail to produce and heads will roll soon after.

Also with the delay in Guardians 3 and the slow down on Star Wars movies I expect they are looking at reduced earnings in entertainment and consumer goods, which means cut the parks budget.

Management will say "We need a strong bottom line cancel projects A, B, and C and reduce all budgets on projects D-L 30%
people will come anyway with or without refurbs and still have a good time."

I do think they will squeeze out a few more things to make it sound exciting like new parades and Daytime and night time shows in all four parks.
Perhaps an overlay on Small World like California's version, The Hatbox Ghost, new enhancements to Big Thunder, new final scene in COP, a minor addition to Pirates or Jungle Cruise, People mover Dioramas, new scene or two in Philharmagic, New Country Bear show, Etc...

These things could be done in staggered 3-6 month intervals while rehab and maintenance goes on in those attractions without a big budget increase.

I don't expect any projects we haven't heard about to break ground and open before or for the 50th in the MK.

Epcot and the Studios would be the place I would expect to see a little more. Studios will get temporary additions that lasts for years longer than they should. Maybe a meet and greet type show like the Belle attraction in MK or like Turtle Talk in the Seas. Street Festivals are sure to follow. Maybe an upgrade to Playhouse Disney and a new show replacing or updating one or two of the current shows.

I have no doubt they will have 50 things to market for the 50th and it will sound exciting and like its the place to be for anyone that loves Disney and family fun. A huge party 50 years in the making.
About 16 of those things will be New parades, Daytime and Nighttime shows and street festivals. 10 will be new shows or movies replacing current shows, 10 will be attraction enhancement all small but cool upgrades, 10 will be attractions just completed or in construction now, and 2-4 to include transportation, magic band enhancements, restaurants and Disney Springs additions.

If we are real lucky they will give us a Poppin's attraction and open up Wonders of Life, and communicore with something new. We could see more than 50 new things who knows.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Small World belongs in Epcot, fully updated with the type of puppets in Sinbad Tokyo to promote world unity. And while they're at it, also get rid of the bad stereotypes and the use of animals for when you don't know what a particular regions culture is like... and get rid of the non-cultural elements like the acid-trip cranes and clowns and toy soldiers... what cultures are they supposed to be? And also reorchestrate the song with a coda so as not to be so repetitive or sing-songy. And also a ceiling that looks like the sky and not black acoustic tiles and industrial ductwork.

With Small World gone, you then can open up that choke point and get around Haunted Mansion for access to the expansion area there without getting rid of RoA.

MickeyMinnieMom

You’d be surprised how hot it gets in Paris in the summer. 90s are the norm. Just without the humidity.
I'm sure that happens at times. But looking at annual monthly averages and knowing people living there, I don't think that 90's are the norm in Paris in the summer (average high is 77 Jul-Aug). The weather there is clearly drastically different than Orlando -- over 20 degrees difference on average.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm sure that happens at times. But looking at annual monthly averages and knowing people living there, I don't think that 90's are the norm in Paris in the summer (average high is 77 Jul-Aug). The weather there is clearly drastically different than Orlando -- over 20 degrees difference on average.
It’s usually a lot hotter than 22 in Marne la Vallee in the summer. I couldn’t believe it one year with the sunburn I got in July.

Regardless, it could work in Orlando. It would be no different that say the HM. But we’re fantasising aren’t we. It’s not on the cards.

jaxonp

well here’s what’s sad, the magic kingdom has the worst version of IASM. Every other castle park, sans Shanghai, does it considerable better inside and out.

rle4lunch

It’s usually a lot hotter than 22 in Marne la Vallee in the summer. I couldn’t believe it one year with the sunburn I got in July.

Regardless, it could work in Orlando. It would be no different that say the HM. But we’re fantasising aren’t we. It’s not on the cards.

I remember not too long ago (10 years or less?) where the high's in France were around 95 and like 500 people died due to not having air conditioning... I don't remember the exact number of people who died, but it was weirdly high.

PaulZ

I know everyone hates the “tombstones” but since I was a sucker and paid for my wife and I’s photo to be on them, I’d like them to stay.

tomast

Small World belongs in Epcot, fully updated with the type of puppets in Sinbad Tokyo to promote world unity. And while they're at it, also get rid of the bad stereotypes and the use of animals for when you don't know what a particular regions culture is like... and get rid of the non-cultural elements like the acid-trip cranes and clowns and toy soldiers... what cultures are they supposed to be? And also reorchestrate the song with a coda so as not to be so repetitive or sing-songy. And also a ceiling that looks like the sky and not black acoustic tiles and industrial ductwork.

With Small World gone, you then can open up that choke point and get around Haunted Mansion for access to the expansion area there without getting rid of RoA.

THE ROOF PLEASE!!!
put something overthere right now!!! everytime I see it something inside me dies...

If they remove Small World I would love to see (I know you guys hate IPS) but a tangled atraction there maybe a dark ride with a huge room with the balloons all over you (no roof viewing please)

9075eeeb-1251-4047-9d16-e542bb28976e_1.3ad817c491e1815ce236c62745e9a500.jpeg

The effect can be do with some mirrors like the artist Yayoi Kusama do in her art expositions

maxresdefault.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

I Know but removing one iconic ip-less atraction (small world) for an IP one would generate some complains overhere.
This idea often pops up as a "armchair imagineering" concept (I don't know if this has ever been seriously considered officially in the company or if it's purely a fan idea). To clarify, no one suggesting this is in favor of actually "removing" Small World from WDW property. The idea is to give it a new home in EPCOT instead. This would then allow Disney to put something else in the old Fantasyland building.

To be quite clear, a scenario in which Disney were to remove Small World without relocating it elsewhere on WDW property would NOT be acceptable. In that scenario, they should just leave it alone. But if they were willing to relocate Small World to EPCOT, putting an IP (at least a fitting fairy tale one such as Tangled) in its old Fantasyland building would be acceptable.

Last edited:

Kman101

Kind of interesting to see a few jump on the 'move it's a small world' bandwagon (I know, not on the cards and not gonna happen). @RSoxNo1 and I have been making that suggestion for years now and were looked at as crazy. It belongs in EPCOT in my mind. And yes, all the other castle parks with a small world do it better automatically because it's not treated like an afterthought. They more or less rebuilt the thing in 2004/2005, could have just moved it then. I know the current company never would but we all know they could if they truly wanted to.

Watching videos of Small World holiday and seeing the exterior ... imagine seeing that at Epcot (and I feel like the holiday version is more suited for that park). It would really plus the park IMHO (and be seen as the signature attraction it really is). Oh well. Nice to dream. Ironic that in Florida, with all the space imaginable (mostly), they can't bother to give it the exterior and queue it deserves.

I've always been surprised at those who think Small World wouldn't work in Epcot. It's hands down one of the best representations of World Showcase/Epcot, IMHO. Like Carousel of Progress, both easily work there. I think it's different in Disneyland, that was Walt's park. Because of where both attractions got their start, I've always felt they belonged in Epcot. Though Carousel really belongs at Disneyland, but I'm so glad we have it here.

Last edited:

MickeyMinnieMom

Kind of interesting to see a few jump on the 'move it's a small world' bandwagon (I know, not on the cards and not gonna happen). @RSoxNo1 and I have been making that suggestion for years now and were looked at as crazy. It belongs in EPCOT in my mind. And yes, all the other castle parks with a small world do it better automatically because it's not treated like an afterthought. They more or less rebuilt the thing in 2004/2005, could have just moved it then. I know the current company never would but we all know they could if they truly wanted to.

Watching videos of Small World holiday and seeing the exterior ... imagine seeing that at Epcot. It would really plus the park IMHO (and be seen as the signature attraction it really is). Oh well. Nice to dream. Ironic that in Florida, with all the space imaginable (mostly), they can't bother to give it the exterior and queue it deserves.
We know it won't happen -- I don't think it should, either. While I could imagine that being a fit in Epcot, I think that IASW is now quintessential MK in the minds of so many -- it doesn't NOT fit there. And to the extent that people try to glean "what would Walt want", he didn't choose to place it in EPCOT himself.

Kman101

We know it won't happen -- I don't think it should, either. While I could imagine that being a fit in Epcot, I think that IASW is now quintessential MK in the minds of so many -- it doesn't NOT fit there. And to the extent that people try to glean "what would Walt want", he didn't choose to place it in EPCOT himself.

He wasn't around when MK and Epcot came into true existence. We don't know what he would have done ;) I think he'd agree with me, personally, but we don't know do we? LOL

I think too many are hung up on it being in a castle park and can't envision it elsewhere. I get it.

I also never said it didn't fit in the MK. Of course it does. But why? Because that's where it's always been? We all have our own ideas of what works where and what doesn't :)

And no, they won't move it. I don't see anything wrong in talking about the idea though. Some people, not saying you, get so worked up over the idea. LOL.

MickeyMinnieMom

He wasn't around when MK and Epcot came into true existence. We don't know what he would have done ;) I think he'd agree with me, personally, but we don't know do we? LOL

I think too many are hung up on it being in a castle park and can't envision it elsewhere. I get it.

I also never said it didn't fit in the MK. Of course it does. But why? Because that's where it's always been? We all have our own ideas of what works where and what doesn't :)

And no, they won't move it. I don't see anything wrong in talking about the idea though. Some people, not saying you, get so worked up over the idea. LOL.
Agree -- no harm in talking about it, of course!!

I don't get that worked up about anything WDW -- it's a theme park. There are always other things in life that can put discussions here in proper perspective. That thing for me yesterday was paying our respects to a former President lying in state -- a truly honorable gentleman and public servant, agree or disagree politically. And seeing a former political rival and fellow WWII vet muster all his energy to rise to his feet and salute his friend -- incredible generation.

After that, get worked up about where IASW should be... ... not possible, right?? :)

Kman101

Agree -- no harm in talking about it, of course!!

I don't get that worked up about anything WDW -- it's a theme park. There are always other things in life that can put discussions here in proper perspective. That thing for me yesterday was paying our respects to a former President lying in state -- a truly honorable gentleman and public servant, agree or disagree politically. And seeing a former political rival and fellow WWII vet muster all his energy to rise to his feet and salute his friend -- incredible generation.

After that, get worked up about where IASW should be... ... not possible, right?? :)

LOL. I agree. At the end of the day, these parks are what they are. Some are very invested in them. For me, I don't care that Epcot was built with the idea of no characters. I LOVE that concept. I really do. But it's not a realistic one. But people cling to it. I respect that they do, I just think sometimes it's not a 'life or death' reactionary type of thing, agreed with the "they're theme parks". And that doesn't mean I agree with putting anything anywhere, either. But I just can't take the hardlined stance some do.

I think we all need to pay attention to the celebration of life that we've seen with John McCain and George H.W. Bush. Two men who didn't let "sides" get in the way. We could all learn from them, honestly. I wish more took notice of what they represent. Anywho ... I hope I'm not flagged for politics, it really is meant to speak to a bunch of different things.

Real life is why I try and pick my 'battles' when it comes to Disney and Universal. They're my happy places at the end of the day ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom