Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kman101

How would you feel if the 50th started before MK turns 50?

Like summer 2021?

Wouldn't really be a surprise and it makes sense to me. Now if it started in Summer 2020 .... lol

So they're still planning to put in some actual effort with the anniversary? (Aside from the attractions opening up)

ToTBellHop

Wouldn't really be a surprise and it makes sense to me. Now if it started in Summer 2020 .... lol

So they're still planning to put in some actual effort with the anniversary? (Aside from the attractions opening up)
It should be the most significant event at WDW since 100 Years of Magic. Arguably since the Millennium Celebration.

I doubt significant cuts will happen. They know they need to hit this out of the park and DL has proven there are rewards for doing just that.

Bocabear

It should be the most significant event at WDW since 100 Years of Magic. Arguably since the Millennium Celebration.

I doubt significant cuts will happen. They know they need to hit this out of the park and DL has proven there are rewards for doing just that.
yes but they NEVER seem to give the Florida property the same love they give to Disneyland...I can't imagine they will even get close. We will get banners and cupcakes, tons of advertising and up-charge events and experiences, but I am sure in the end, the things that are specifically being done for the 50th (not stuff already planned that will coincide with it) will be of little substance....and for sure, a lot less than Disneyland got.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

So, no Ten-cennial or 15th anniversary-like giveaways at the turnstyles? ;) Or even the FastPass cards during the (I think) 100YoM celebration?

Kman101

Hopefully the prove us wrong for once. I'm not holding my breath but I believe our insiders by what they tell us, what the current plan is. I believe that. I just don't trust them to stick with it. lol. I fully believe they have plans in mind. I still don't think whatever they do will satisfy some though. What are people truly expecting? What would make it a solid 50th anniversary celebration in some of your eyes? (And be realistic ....) A lot of the ride additions have been dismissed by many ...

ToTBellHop

I was assuming the whole year (and the following half year) would be anniversary celebrations and not just on Oct 1.
I heard May 2021 to 12/31/22 was considered. I’m sure there are many complexities to nailing down a date. But the announced projects can all complete by then. I expect the announced projects with one more at Epcot, an impressive entertainment package at all four parks, and a surprising number of significant ride refurbishments. What more could one ask for?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I heard May 2021 to 12/31/22 was considered.

Oct 1, 2021 through Oct 1, 2022 would seem to be certain and they have (recently at least) extended such anniversary celebrations for at least 3-4 months after the end of the actual anniversary year, so ending by Dec 31, 2022 (if not possibly including January 2023) would also seem reasonable. Historically, most of these celebrations have started on or (at most) 1-2 months before the anniversary date, but given that this is a major milestone year and they'll want to capitalize on the marketing as much as possible, pushing that time earlier to also include the summer season (for a total of two summer seasons to experience the 50th events) would make sense.

ToTBellHop

Oct 1, 2021 through Oct 1, 2022 would seem to be certain and they have (recently at least) extended such anniversary celebrations for at least 3-4 months after the end of the actual anniversary year, so ending by Dec 31, 2022 (if not possibly including January 2023) would also seem reasonable. Historically, most of these celebrations have started on or (at most) 1-2 months before the anniversary date, but given that this is a major milestone year and they'll want to capitalize on the marketing as much as possible, pushing that time earlier to also include the summer season (for a total of two summer seasons to experience the 50th events) would make sense.
Disneyland has the luxury of a mid-summer anniversary date and yet both the 50th and 60th started early enough to include two summers for the reasons you suggest. If DL had opened in the fall like WDW, I doubt they would have hesitated to still include two summers in each celebration. They love rolling out new entertainment at the start of summer.

brb1006

I still remember being amazed seeing ads for the Millennium Celebration and 100 Years Of Magic when I was little when I was watching a few Disney films on VHS. Hope they could do something to that level.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I still remember feeling amazed seeing ads for the Millennium Celebration and 100 Years Of Magic when I was little when I was watching a few Disney films on VHS. Hope they could do something to that level.

I remember being amazed by the Millenium and 100 Years of Magic celebrations. :) And the 10th, 15th, and 25th anniversaries as well. The 20th is the only one that I don't recall being very memorable, and, of course, every one since the end of the 100 Years of Magic celebration.

Kman101

I heard May 2021 to 12/31/22 was considered. I’m sure there are many complexities to nailing down a date. But the announced projects can all complete by then. I expect the announced projects with one more at Epcot, an impressive entertainment package at all four parks, and a surprising number of significant ride refurbishments. What more could one ask for?

Sounds good to me! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FOLLOW THROUGH ... lol

Lots of rides could get some nice upgrades. We're still waiting for Big Thunder's. Pan could get improvements. There's a lot they COULD do. I hope they follow through. This is where I'm a bit jaded, lol. Their current history is terrible. But I do think the 50th will be better. If they prove me wrong, silly me then, lol.

Clopin Trouillefou

that in and of itself is super exciting! all on board! two thumbs way up! (does this mean only one of brazil and mary poppins is happening?)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

An 18 month celebration would be appropriate, and in-line with the park-wide celebrations from 1997-2003.

What more could one ask for? Well, I'd ask for a whole new track for Space Mountain, and a fully functional Yeti, for starters. ;) But I know better, so instead I'll hope they hit a triple or a home run with the 50th instead of the usual bunt singles.

Kman101

I'm really not sure how they've gotten away with not replacing the entire SM track. Something's gotta give at some point, no? Unless they're letting it rot for a reason. They seem to stop investing in something when they're done with it (Toontown at Disneyland looks bad; Buzz never gets attention; Bugs Land mural was falling apart and we all know where that's going). I truly hope SM can have a place in Tomorrowland after TRON opens. I see no reason they can't ...

Cesar R M

Decorate the castle in the Iger era?, You have got to be joking decorations cost money and that hits the balance sheet and makes it harder for senior leadership to hit their bonus targets.

Realistically all I can see Disney doing for the 50'th is upcharge events as far as the eye can see.
and cupcakes, do not forget cupcakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom