Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disone

Id rather have nothing than PTN, yuck!
I think you would love PTN. Maybe not at MK, I to wonder if they should bring the 50th anniversary night parade to some other part besides the Magic Kingdom. in the end though I think it's kind of special to watch it in the Magic Kingdom.

Disone

When I think of Magic Kingdom at night, Spectromagic is the perfect parade that really fits the nighttime atmosphere compared to Paint the Night which is to energetic for my taste.

Compare this

to this

Having seen both spectromagic and paint the Night Live and in-person several times, I honestly prefer paint the night. I'm not judging from the YouTube videos I'm judging from the experience of watching it Go by me curbside.

That all said, I find it interesting that on this forum it seems as though you must love one and hate the other? Not sure why. I like them both.

peter11435

Having seen both spectromagic and paint the Night Live and in-person several times, I honestly prefer paint the night. I'm not judging from the YouTube videos I'm judging from the experience of watching it Go by me curbside.

That all said, I find it interesting that on this forum it seems as though you must love one and hate the other? Not sure why. I like them both.
I agree. I love both. I wish paint the night had a few more floats but overall I prefer paint the night. Although I prefer the music from SpectroMagic.

Cesar R M

WDW is approximately the size of SAN FRANCISCO, yet they can't manage to run a nighttime parade in the MOST POPULAR THEME PARK ON EARTH or in one of their other 3 parks?

Wat8.jpg
"COST CUTS!!! BONUSES!! SYNERGY!!!!"
GaSjryD.gif

MerlinTheGoat

The only float I really like in Paint the Night is Belle's (in spite of some "screenish" elements, it at least feels somewhat elegant). Frozen is okay, but the Dreamlights version of the float is immensely better. I think the rest of the floats range from "eh" to bad. The music is obnoxious and inappropriate. Though I will say the many of the costumes of the incidental walking characters are really nice.

Many of PtN's float designs are very basic and bland underneath the flashy lighting. The lights are arranged, spaced and lined up in an extremely modern grid-like manner. There aren't nearly as many artistic flourishes, swags and curves seen in disney's other light parades. Take even the simple ball floats shared by PtN and Spectromagic and compare how the lights are physically arranged. PtN's lights are laid in a very simple square grid. Spectro's lights are draped in a curved wavy pattern and creates an elegant diamond pattern. In addition, the black space between had a mirrored surface (the sparkles of light within also pulsed much more gently and less strobe-like).
Minnie-on-Doodle-Bug-in-HKDL-Paint-the-Night-Parade.jpg

il_570xN.910571621_29rf.jpg

The programmable LED lighting from PtN is extremely advanced from a technological perspective. However, the same sort of tech is implemented in a much more artistically beautiful manner in Tokyo's Dreamlights. They've added new floats with this tech during the past few years, but they've also been gradually retrofitting the old floats as well.

Dreamlights has successfully maintained and honored the elegance and artistic beauty of classic Disney light parades. It's truly the right way to do a Disney night parade, and especially the right way to keep an old parade fresh and new. Imagine if Spectromagic had been continually maintained and updated in the same manner that Dreamlights has been, such a waste...

Last edited:

cjkeating

I hope how MK seems have learnt from what worked in Disney Dreams! and Disneyland Forever and how not to do a nighttime show with Ignite the Dream/Illumiations for Happily Ever After they learn that Paint the Night was too extreme in its modernity and they scale it back to to be somewhere in-between PTN and Dreamlights for the 50th MK night time parade.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I hope how MK seems have learnt from what worked in Disney Dreams! and Disneyland Forever and how not to do a nighttime show with Ignite the Dream/Illumiations for Happily Ever After they learn that Paint the Night was too extreme in its modernity and they scale it back to to be somewhere in-between PTN and Dreamlights for the 50th MK night time parade.
You do realize that PTN is extremely popular over at Disneyland....

disneyC97

I loved Spectromagic. However lucked into seeing PtN from the outdoor Carnation Cafe seating at DL one night and “wow!” It was amazing. To me the two parades are very different but equally fantastic to see.

Although we can only see one now 🙁

Hattieboxghost110

All that tells me is that Disneyland fans have basic taste :p

Apparently, so do WDW fans.

I loved Spectromagic. However lucked into seeing PtN from the outdoor Carnation Cafe seating at DL one night and “wow!” It was amazing. To me the two parades are very different but equally fantastic to see.

Although we can only see one now 🙁

I agree. I love both. I wish paint the night had a few more floats but overall I prefer paint the night. Although I prefer the music from SpectroMagic.

Really??? PTN is dope lit

I still remember the TONS of pages on this forum when Disneyworlder's were BEGGING for PTN to be shipped to The World.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

cjkeating

You do realize that PTN is extremely popular over at Disneyland....

Yes. I was there during the 60th and the park was gridlocked in the run up to Paint the Night. To get a good spot for my second viewing I had to join the insanity and stake out a spot 90 minutes before it started.

I was expecting big things of Paint the Night and impressive as some of the technical aspects were I found it really soulless.

Magic Feather

It was between Tomorrowland and Frontierland for the 50th job, and TL won. And it is becoming more apparent I don't expect a major Fantasy Land anything in Orl anytime soon, still barring a new opportunity TWDC just can't pass up.
As for DL, expect SWL for the west side (duh), more infrastructure stuff ala Big Thunder Trail on that side mainly around Fantasmic and Pirates, with that being it. TDA has kicked a needed Tomorrowland refresh for ages, and they just keep kicking it down. As of recent, next up for DL was Fantasyland area, but it seems that, while it will still be involved, the next DL project is less centered on Fantasy.
I'm feeling on a roll, so while we are at it...
EPCOT: FW getting bulk of things. Communicore changes yet again. If they can ever decide on a concept The Seas will become the "Pavillion on a hill" or the hive of scum and villainy Galaxy's Edge was intended to be. God knows what's going on with imagination. Spoiler Alert: Nothing No, Groot will not be taking over the Land Pavillion, and don't even bother with Wonders of Life for the next 2/3 of a decade, because Disney barely is either. As for WS, just cranking out Unlikely Coco, Beefed upUK, Rat, Brazil (And Friends?).
HS: TSL, SWL, Shows going to that great big theater in the sky if they ever get around to it, the Muppets are staying for a while: deal with it and no, the new sign’s letters are not interchangeable, Star Tours isn't too long for this Galaxy: deal with it, and Fantasmic -1.0 will be here a while. Also, Christmas Echo Lake will be was great. Sunset... better than Meh. Oh, and two (maybe three) of the best rides to ever come out of Imagineering IMO.
AK: Don't Cry for me Anandapur was a reference to Russel’s Product Placement Vlogathon bc South America stuff in Anandapur, yes a potential Avatar expansion exists and no I do not expect it to happen. Rivers of Light is in one day and out the next with management but mostly in, but it has been serving its purpose, leading to a resounding "Why Bother?" In management.
DCA: Marvel is a loosely nailed down mess. Pixar is a thematic mess. Runaway is a relocated mess. Expansion of ORL boundaries is a cancelled mess. Halloween in great.

And now cryptic stuff that could apply anywhere domestically:
Winter is Coming... Eventually TDS
Let's All Sing Like... Who? Was theater project, now could apply to its reallocation of funds
33 Upcharges Club 33
The Not So Suite Life Galaxy’s Edge Space Larp Cruise
The Not So Secret Life (SLoP is not coming to USF is what I believe my intention was with that, I don’t totally recal)
Magic Not in Disney
Find your Way Black Letting this one stay ambiguous
Can you tell me how to get to Seaworld? Seaworld’s new Sesame Street Land (see the permits)
New York Leaving Ambigious
I didn't Nintend to Infringe on your Ship Could take on a new meaning
Needs More Cowbell Leaving ambiguous
Obligatory Followup: See Bold

ryguy

Obligatory Followup: See Bold
Why can't I figure out the Beefed up UK comment, probably the vino :joyfull:

The cowbell comment has me scratching my head too. Maybe a show/ride with Will Ferrell? I mean they did something with Jimmy Fallon.

A Nintendo theme cruise I am assuming you mean. Makes sense, I am sure the other cruise lines would like to get into the act with how Disney does themed days at sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom