Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sad but true, hope fully they'll under understand that additional focus on business would Increase stock prices drastically:)

Never works that way, Companies which manage stock price instead of the business always blow up. It takes a new team with a new philosophy after the blowup to fix things.

DisneyNerd12

I agree. I think a huge makeover of the castle is brilliant.

I also hope that they will start doing seasonal overlays more frequently. I would love a Nightmare Before Christmas overlay of Square Liberty for the last few months of the year, but I would not be surprised if many people would hate that.

Just give the Nightmare Before Christmas a land already!

Disneyland just kills us on anything seasonal, refurbishments, or maintenance. Please TDO beat Disneyland at its own game.
WDW has a better firework show & daytime parade if that makes you happy..

Kman101

And to be fair, there are some maintenance issues at DL. I've read that Buzz and Splash could definitely use work. The building for Goofy's Sky School has rust running down the side of it's building, A Bugs Land has ripping murals, Toontown is fading (like always) ... but yeah, they do everything better ;) No park is absolutely perfect. Let's take off the rose colored glasses everyone.

Cmdr_Crimson

What I Really hope they don't do.....Is they don't do another TV Special that was as horrible as DL's 60th Award Show (Yes I call it that) and it showed NOTHING about the parks...

Cmdr_Crimson

large_6NAFbsnQfqBpJf5NW1QAv3G6AIb.jpg

So, a Movie with Vanellope & Buttercup........Um..Okay...It's legit
latest
latest

SamN'Dean

Universal over the next few years will light a fire under them hopefully, but then again, we are talking about a company that posts 58billion (Disney) vs 100+ Billion (Comcast)

Over the next few years? Forbidden Journey opened over 7 years ago, and Disney has resisted any fires being lit so far- I expect that to continue.

Cmdr_Crimson

Over the next few years? Forbidden Journey opened over 7 years ago, and Disney has resisted any fires being lit so far- I expect that to continue.

Also Escape from Gringott's came out 3 years ago...Unless the all powers that be that Galaxy's Edge & TSL are going to be the "Turn Around" Which I'm not too sure it will...Universal still has Fast & Furious, What ever comes to take over T2's theater, Super Nintendo World, The other coaster taking over Dragon Challenge and The long rumored Ministry of Magic attraction..They got quite a bit under their belt right now..

Frizzball

I was discussing this with my dad a couple of months ago and I'm not sure I would view the parks as always directly competing on the same terms. Disney has so many more resort hotels and integrated dining plans etc that for people travelling from abroad a stay in the Disney parks will always look more attractive regardless of ride variety, simply because it's easier. On our last visit all of us, but my 9 year old sister who isn't really Universal's target demographic, enjoyed IOA more than any single Disney park but we'd never consider staying there and so Disney will always get the vast majority of our money. We're currently planning another trip for 2020 or 2021 to take in SW:GE, TSL and whatever new HP ride arrives to IOA and we will be staying at Disney again because it makes everything far less of a headache.

This I think, is what Disney execs count on. It's not always so important to them that all of their parks have stand out rides and experiences as they know people will keep coming back to the resort because the overall experience is more attractive. And if they can coax domestic fans back by having something new, even if it's not something particularly large, they can scrimp out on the major overhaul parts of the park really need. When you look at it that way, Universal getting improvements can in fact be seen as a slight positive for Disney. If Universal improves more overseas visitors want to return and those people might stay at Disney.

Of course I hate that kind of laziness and wish Disney wouldn't take the path of least imagination but then other than the new HP areas Universal seems to have become quite lazy with their ride design recently too.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Yeah, WDW hasn't done anything or going to do anything! Except updated Soarin'. And increased its capacity. And increased the capacity of TSMM. And changed Maelstrom into a much more popular ride. And made DAK a full day park with a night safari and night rides and River of Life and a first-class Land with an E-ticket ride and another ride and evening performances and Tree of Life Awakenings. And a new well-liked MK parade. And a new fireworks show with more fireworks and fantastic projections. And new evening shows at DHS. And updated Jedi Academy. And made Star Wars a year-round feature of the parks. And updated Mission Space with a friendlier scenario. And adding a Toy Story Land with two new rides. And adding a Star Wars Land with two new E-Tickets. And a Mickey Mouse E-Ticket. And a new coaster in Epcot. And a new coaster in MK. And a new theater in MK. And upgrading and overlaying Speed Track. And overhauling Tomorrowland. And upgrading and overhauling Illuminations.

Other than that, WDW is doing practically nothing!!!

Last edited:

Kman101

Yeah, WDW hasn't done anything or going to do anything! Except update Soarin'. And increased its capacity. And increased the capacity of TSMM. And changed Maelstrom into a much more popular ride. And made DAK a full day park with night safari and rides and River of Life an a first class Land with an E-ticket ride and another ride and evening performances and Tree of Life Awakenings. And a new well-like MK parade. And new fireworks show with more fireworks and fantastic projections. And new evening shows at DHS. And updated Jedi Academy. And made Star Wars a year-round feature of the parks. And updated Mission Space with a friendlier scenario. And adding a Toy Story Land with two new rides. And adding a Star Wars Land with two new E-Tickets. And a Mickey Mouse E-Ticket. And a new coaster in Epcot. And a new coaster in MK. And a new theater in MK. And upgrading and overlaying Speed Track. And overhauling Tomorrowland. And upgrading and overhauling Illuminations.

Exactly. WDW has a TON going on. It just gets ignored because some don't like the things they're doing. Not to mention there are things we haven't heard about yet from what I gather. But yeah, Universal sure is beating Disney ;)

Instead of people making it about "Uni's better. NO Disney's better", let's appreciate that both resorts are adding quite a bit over the next few years.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Yeah, WDW hasn't done anything or going to do anything! Except update Soarin'. And increased its capacity. And increased the capacity of TSMM. And changed Maelstrom into a much more popular ride. And made DAK a full day park with night safari and rides and River of Life an a first class Land with an E-ticket ride and another ride and evening performances and Tree of Life Awakenings. And a new well-like MK parade. And new fireworks show with more fireworks and fantastic projections. And new evening shows at DHS. And updated Jedi Academy. And made Star Wars a year-round feature of the parks. And updated Mission Space with a friendlier scenario. And adding a Toy Story Land with two new rides. And adding a Star Wars Land with two new E-Tickets. And a Mickey Mouse E-Ticket. And a new coaster in Epcot. And a new coaster in MK. And a new theater in MK. And upgrading and overlaying Speed Track. And overhauling Tomorrowland. And upgrading and overhauling Illuminations.

Dont forget a new space themed immersive experience restaurant, a popular trackless dark ride being brought over from Paris, a new Star Wars themed hotel, and a brand new transportation system. And that's just what's been confirmed. A look at the rumor timeline thread shows a *lot* more is possibly to come over the next decade.

Gatorboy

Try reading that in one breath lol, well said.

Disone

That is a debatable statement, many would argue otherwise but at least now it IS a debate/arguement. Prior to Festival of fantasy and happily ever after it was not.

I love Festival of fantasy. I would be happy if they just added a 50th Anniversary float and perhaps a 50th Anniversary show stopped to the existing parade.

PorterRedkey

Also Escape from Gringott's came out 3 years ago...Unless the all powers that be that Galaxy's Edge & TSL are going to be the "Turn Around" Which I'm not too sure it will...Universal still has Fast & Furious, What ever comes to take over T2's theater, Super Nintendo World, The other coaster taking over Dragon Challenge and The long rumored Ministry of Magic attraction..They got quite a bit under their belt right now..
It's a good time to be a theme park fan in Orlando!

larandtra

In comparison, Disney has DONE and is doing a TON more than Universal. Lets keep in mind, Universal has a fun coaster in Rip Rocket that breaks down once a day and they have had issues since it opened, the Jimmy Kimmel ride is awful, the SImpsons is Awful, Men In Black and Terminator are outdated and in disrepair, most of their new attractions are all carbon copies with different storylines ( they really like the screens and 3 d effect rides), Hulk is a good coaster thats just no different from a cedar point or 6 flags coaster, Spiderman is in disrepair, the two boat things (flumes and barges) are dirty, Suess land is a joke and always looks creepy more than kid friendly, Jurassic Park is outdated. Other than Potter land ( where they even effed up and didnt do something with Dueling Dragins long ago to tie it into the theme)and the Mummy, what have they done? Citywalk isnt all that impressive and other than Toothsome, the restaurants are eh. I think people hear Potter and say seeeee..But dont realize that is ALL they have done in 15 years that is worth a darn. The parks are the same, they are run down, not clean, the employees act like they dont want to be there, and they charge a fortune for the Fast pass system. Sure, there are some cool things and the Potter area is indeed amazing. But after seeing Pandora and knowing Star Wars is coming, what makes anyone think the Star Wars area wont morph Potter by miles and make Universal an afterthought again. Disney isnt doing anything? Really? You may not like what they are doing, but, they are doing things. And yep, they let Epcot fall off the planet, they let space mountain get run down, the original design of studios wasnt well thought out, animal kingdom was a half day park, but, there is a new energy into revamping and fixing parks. And all that anyone knows it what has been announced. You really think they are stopping there? Maybe they were slow to respond or react to Universal, but, there are other priorities in a company that large ( Shanghai, Euro, California, as well as the movie and studio/entertainment end of the company) and they have sent a shot across Universals bow with the Star Wars and Toy Story Land announcements. Reminding them, they know what they are doing. And there will be more to follow. Disney isnt done yet as so many here like to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom