Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_Black

A theme park reviewing site I visit claims there is no competition between Disney and Universal. Someone said "This new Harry Potter ride will push Disney to do more" and was responded to with "WHY do people say this? It's not true. They have no reason to compete and I wish they everyone would stop saying this" (This is a summed up conversation, but this was the idea). There was more shouting by the admin about it, but I'm not going to go into it.

Point: How can that person even say that? There IS competition even if it is not obvious (which it is very obvious).

Sometimes, even if there IS competition, it doesn't matter. There was a (very brief) time when TNA had fresh popular talent and was putting on matches that put the WWE to shame. WWE stayed on top, and TNA tried too hard to compete and eventually turned into a huge cluster... uh... fudge. Most of TNA's biggest names are now with WWE.

matt9112

The difference of course, is that when faced with unhappy customers, Disney does make the attempt at rectifying the situation. Comcast places anyone who wants to cancel into the telephone equivalent of purgatory, hoping they'll give up.

love this reference. yeah dealing with them kn Boston sucked.

Gringrinngghost

A theme park reviewing site I visit claims there is no competition between Disney and Universal. Someone said "This new Harry Potter ride will push Disney to do more" and was responded to with "WHY do people say this? It's not true. They have no reason to compete and I wish they everyone would stop saying this" (This is a summed up conversation, but this was the idea). There was more shouting by the admin about it, but I'm not going to go into it.

Point: How can that person even say that? There IS competition even if it is not obvious (which it is very obvious).
The true competition for the parks is who has the higher amount of guests and can fill hotels.

Josh Kolodny

Sometimes, even if there IS competition, it doesn't matter. There was a (very brief) time when TNA had fresh popular talent and was putting on matches that put the WWE to shame. WWE stayed on top, and TNA tried too hard to compete and eventually turned into a huge cluster... uh... fudge. Most of TNA's biggest names are now with WWE.

If it's wrestling analogies you're interested in, then don't mind if I do...

I'd argue that we currently sit in the middle of Orlando's version of pro wrestling's "Monday Night Wars" of the 1990s, which pitted wrestling promoter Vince McMahon's World Wrestling Federation (WWF) against media mogul Ted Turner's World Championship Wresting (WCW).

Now, analogies are never perfect, but I'm always amazed by how many parallels exist with this one...

Through savvy business decisions in the early 1980s, plus the emerging star power of Hulk Hogan (Mickey Mouse), World Wrestling Federation (TWDC) developed into the world's most recognizable professional wrestling brand. By 1995, Vince McMahon (Disney > Eisner > Iger) had built WWF into an unchallenged giant within the industry and American culture. Eventually, with a lack of competition, complacent management styles and the emerging 1990s counter-culture of Generation X, it became evident to wrestling fans that Vince McMahon and WWF's version of storytelling, which was traditionally campy, unimaginative and predictable, wasn't aging well (Epcot and DHS stagnation). Yet, with no serious competition, McMahon and company were never given a reason to be self aware.

Enter billionaire Ted Turner and World Championship Wrestling (Universal/Blackstone/Comcast). Through an aggressive business strategy, Ted Turner and WCW began challenging the industry dominance of WWF. This was never more apparent than when Ted Turner premiered WCW Monday Nitro (Universal Orlando Resort) on TNT Network to compete directly against WWF's flagship television show Monday Night RAW (Walt Disney World) on USA Network in 1996. What would follow would be an all-out, arms race between these two competing television shows (resorts) to capture the attention of wrestling fans (tourists) on monday night (on vacation).

Unfortunately for McMahon, Turner's Monday Nitro not only cut into his monday night cable share, it was also an edgier, perfectly Generation X-geared wrestling show (Wizarding World of Harry Potter). In addition, Turner's deep pockets allowed WCW to lure away many of the well-known wrestling stars of the time, like Hulk Hogan, "Macho Man" Randy Savage, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall from WWF, in effect, giving WCW the more relevant wrestlers (or IPs ;)). By 1997, Ted Turner's WCW had surpassed WWF when considering many of the industry's measuring sticks, like monday night television ratings and pay-per-view buy rates (attendance growth). In addition, wrestling fans generally believed Turner's WCW provided a more interesting, complex and relevant product than McMahon's WWF.

At first, McMahon didn't know what hit him and therefore had trouble adjusting, which resulted in a costly financial agreement with a wrestler named Bret Hart (Fantasy Land redo). However, Hart was hardly a house hold name like "Hulk Hogan" and was viewed as a "doubling down" on a failing strategy. The decision did little to effect WWF's poor ratings (park attendance). McMahon would not see real recovery, or growth, until he adopted some of WCW's edgier strategies (engaging, all-immersive lands). These adjustments by McMahon resulted in a product that was modern and highly geared toward late-90s culture (millennials, parental Gen Xers). Now, relying on younger, more relevant characters that stretched the boundaries of their traditional storytelling techniques, such as "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Paul Levesque a.k.a. "Triple H" (or the Pixar Lands, Pandora, Galaxy's Edge, Zootopia, etc), WWF's ratings and pay-per-view buy rates skyrocketed and they soon regained market dominance. Eventually, McMahon and the WWF would also regain perception as an industry leader and innovator.

…and that's where the analogy ends. As a big wrestling and Disney fan, I've always had this kicking around in my head.

***sorry for such a LONG inaugural post :(

Last edited:

John park hopper

Often wonder if Disney excutives ever go to these forums and see what the ever day folks are praising and or complaining about. There seems to be some very resonable suggestions on how to improve WDW --what to change what to keep. Maybe they are too busy counting their profits and thinking how they can be squeeze the last dollar out of us (being sarcastic).

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I will be happy with a brand new day parade, night parade, and fireworks for the 50th. That's all I care about anyway, the rest is just icing on the cake

According to our insiders: no news on a new day parade; new night parade is planned; with the success of HEA, the plan to create a new 50th fireworks might become to update HEA rather than completely replace it... maybe.

bcoachable

In the Revenue numbers. Comcast comes in at about 85 billion to Disneys 58

I am pretty sure the difference in revenue generated can be found when one analyzes the "Top of the Rock" tours...
Disney only wishes they had something like this they could capitalize on. As they were discussing this very topic in high level meetings a few years back, the whole "let's make cupcake parties a thing" idea came about... true story

RSoxNo1

All I want is better cheese to dip pretzels in.
large_6NAFbsnQfqBpJf5NW1QAv3G6AIb.jpg

DisneyDaver

If it's wrestling analogies you're interested in, then don't mind if I do...

I'd argue that we currently sit in the middle of Orlando's version of pro wrestling's "Monday Night Wars" of the 1990s, which pitted wrestling promoter Vince McMahon's World Wrestling Federation (WWF) against media mogul Ted Turner's World Championship Wresting (WCW).

Now, analogies are never perfect, but I'm always amazed by how many parallels exist with this one...

Through savvy business decisions in the early 1980s, plus the emerging star power of Hulk Hogan (Mickey Mouse), World Wrestling Federation (TWDC) developed into the world's most recognizable professional wrestling brand. By 1995, Vince McMahon (Disney > Eisner > Iger) had built WWF into an unchallenged giant within the industry and American culture. Eventually, with a lack of competition, complacent management styles and the emerging 1990s counter-culture of Generation X, it became evident to wrestling fans that Vince McMahon and WWF's version of storytelling, which was traditionally campy, unimaginative and predictable, wasn't aging well (Epcot and DHS stagnation). Yet, with no serious competition, McMahon and company were never given a reason to be self aware.

Enter billionaire Ted Turner and World Championship Wrestling (Universal/Blackstone/Comcast). Through an aggressive business strategy, Ted Turner and WCW began challenging the industry dominance of WWF. This was never more apparent than when Ted Turner premiered WCW Monday Nitro (Universal Orlando Resort) on TNT Network to compete directly against WWF's flagship television show Monday Night RAW (Walt Disney World) on USA Network in 1996. What would follow would be an all-out, arms race between these two competing television shows (resorts) to capture the attention of wrestling fans (tourists) on monday night (on vacation).

Unfortunately for McMahon, Turner's Monday Nitro not only cut into his monday night cable share, it was also an edgier, perfectly Generation X-geared wrestling show (Wizarding World of Harry Potter). In addition, Turner's deep pockets allowed WCW to lure away many of the well-known wrestling stars of the time, like Hulk Hogan, "Macho Man" Randy Savage, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall from WWF, in effect, giving WCW the more relevant wrestlers (or IPs ;)). By 1997, Ted Turner's WCW had surpassed WWF when considering many of the industry's measuring sticks, like monday night television ratings and pay-per-view buy rates (attendance growth). In addition, wrestling fans generally believed Turner's WCW provided a more interesting, complex and relevant product than McMahon's WWF.

At first, McMahon didn't know what hit him and therefore had trouble adjusting, which resulted in a costly financial agreement with a wrestler named Bret Hart (Fantasy Land redo). However, Hart was hardly a house hold name like "Hulk Hogan" and was viewed as a "doubling down" on a failing strategy. The decision did little to effect WWF's poor ratings (park attendance). McMahon would not see real recovery, or growth, until he adopted some of WCW's edgier strategies (engaging, all-immersive lands). These adjustments by McMahon resulted in a product that was modern and highly geared toward late-90s culture (millennials, parental Gen Xers). Now, relying on younger, more relevant characters that stretched the boundaries of their traditional storytelling techniques, such as "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Paul Levesque a.k.a. "Triple H" (or the Pixar Lands, Pandora, Galaxy's Edge, Zootopia, etc), WWF's ratings and pay-per-view buy rates skyrocketed and they soon regained market dominance. Eventually, McMahon and the WWF would also regain perception as an industry leader and innovator.

…and that's where the analogy ends. As a big wrestling and Disney fan, I've always had this kicking around in my head.

***sorry for such a LONG inaugural post :(

Great post and interesting comparison! Also, bought back some fun memories of the NWO and Bash at the Beach. Note - I'm still a huge WDW fan, but haven't watched wrestling in over a decade.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am pretty sure the difference in revenue generated can be found when one analyzes the "Top of the Rock" tours...
Disney only wishes they had something like this they could capitalize on. As they were discussing this very topic in high level meetings a few years back, the whole "let's make cupcake parties a thing" idea came about... true story

Been to 30 Rock but for business it truly is an amazing place.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's going to be fun to see if both companies compete and see if any of them over stretch their finances.

Yes it will but also remember Comcast gets far more for their construction dollar than does Disney. Recall that Diagon Alley cost LESS then NFL.

And sometimes they build attractions which are lesser too - Fallon ride im looking at you!

Janir

Of course there's competition! I know the last several times I've gone to Orlando area we planned on and chose to stay at Disney and had to think about if we wanted to take a few days to do Universal or not. HP is great at Universal but it isn't enough to get me to change the calculus of going to and planning around WDW. If we've got extra time and money then maybe Universal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom