Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureCEO

I tend to lurk more than not (due to being a CM), but this was a piece of news that came my way that I wanted to share. You're welcome to believe it or not.

We (the CMs in the part of MK where I work) had a meeting with two of our leaders who were talking about various internal things (high guest satisfaction ratings, great job, here's where we can improve, etc etc). Our leaders also mentioned that, while there won't be a huge celebration for the 45th anniversary coming up next year, Disney is already planning for the 50th anniversary. They said that the current plans are to completely overhaul both Frontierland and Tomorrowland both in the facades and adding new attractions. They said to expect some big, big changes in those two lands, although they admitted they didn't have any specifics as to what "New" Frontierland and "New" Tomorrowland would look like, nor what attractions would be added.

I suppose they could of been lying, but I've never known our leaders to deliberately do that - they've always been on the up-and-up, even to the point of saying, "Yes I know something, but I'm not allowed to say anything yet about it." So, like I said, take that news for what it is. We all know Disney, they could completely change their mind six months later and cheap-out on the whole thing. Just wanted to let you guys know.

I thought they were going to make Cinderella's castle into Else's castle? ;)

EdC

They're bringing back the pink birthday cake castle.
Its-happening-reaction-gif.gif

andysol

Great news- All the other parks are really up to speed. The one that really needs the most help is MK. DHS and Epcot are fine. :banghead:

Half kidding- but with Disney springs being finished, DAK being the park it will be in 2017- and if SW and Pixar at DHS can be done by 2020-2021 as rumored- and MK getting the DL/DCA repairs/maintenance as well as a new tomorrow/frontier land (and new ride in frontier land? Although I'd assume it's just BTM getting the DLP/DL makeover- which is fine)- we could really have a phenomenal WDW in 6 yrs.
Except epcot- we've heard nothing from there :(

SosoDude

Hoping they add, not just revamp existing attractions. Let's see, what else (besides Splash AND Big Thunder) is on the chopping block in Frontierland if they go the swap-out route. Wonder if CB Jamboree stays?

Otamin

Frontierland?! Weird. Tomorrowland is a shoe-in though.
Frontierland could do with expansion, but what is there is perfectly fine in my opinion.

Along with Tomorrowland which desperately needs work done to it (which goes without saying), I do feel "old" Fantasyland could do with some work (especially thematically).

Aside from the tents which need to go, I'd love to see a return of the more muted colour scheme which would match Bavarian architecture better. Whilst some could argue the current colours work since it's based on fantasy, to me it doesn't bring you into the world like it once did:

Imgineering-Disney_THEN-AND-NOW_Fantasyland-6.jpg

There's plenty of space that could and should be used at the Magic Kingdom (including the Speedway), so hopefully Disney properly utilise it all.

andysol

Aside from the tents which need to go, I'd love to see a return of the more muted colour scheme which would match Bavarian architecture better. Whilst some could argue the current colours work since it's based on fantasy, to me it doesn't bring you into the world like it once did:

Imgineering-Disney_THEN-AND-NOW_Fantasyland-6.jpg
I, of course, agree the tents need to go. I really wish we could finally get the better IASW facade.

I actually like the new colors better- but man- that's a great pic and comparison. Thanks for sharing those! Also really shows how out of place that skyway really was. Cool at the time, but glad that's gone. And look at the size of the trees in that before pic! :p

Yup, new e tickets almost every year, just because!
As much as I didn't want to respond to this- what's a thread without mentioning universal? :)
Couple of points-
1- universal isn't Disney. Not even close. But I am absolutely envious of their break-neck speed of attractions being added.
2- I don't understand their choices at all. They don't "add" e tickets. They "replace" e tickets. Yes, BTTF and Jaws (arguably) weren't E-Tickets anymore, but what amazing franchises. Yes, we get Harry Potter and Simpsons. Both extremely relevant- and likely timeless. But my problem with their choices of IP are the "huh" ones. Jimmy Fallon? Fast and the furious? Transformers? None of those will ever trigger the nostalgia that Disney provides. Harry Potter will. Something like Jaws, will. King Kong will too. So ya- in 10 yrs, when no one gives a rip about transformers movies or furious movies, they'll give us another E ticket. In the meantime, people will still be riding pirates, splash mountain, space mountain, BTM, Peter Pan, etc etc across the street :). Harry Potter fits that mold. Jimmy Fallon will not. That's like putting Ellen somewhere. What idiot would do that? No one will Care over time. Oh wait...

JasonDeyoung

50th anniversary, I'd be happy with anything at this point. Was there for the 40th and we'll just say that was a big fat let down. I remember going for the 25th and 20th when I was younger. *fingers crossed*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom