Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Be glad PTN didn't have the show stop like Hong Kong did.

However I wished they used the soundtrack that was heard for it's behind the scenes video for the "Drum" float that can be heard at 0:40 - 0:59 and again at 1:15 in the video. Because that remix of the MSEP sounded better than the final version.

BTW.... If you would like to build your own drum like that, look up SuperNight 5050 LED waterproof RGB on amazon... Then build a round drum out of scrap wood... There are some other RGB LEDs you could use to make it an exact copy....but it's not to difficult... Also grab a bluetooth speaker and your ipod with your tune on it...

*1023*

Prog

Here's to hoping for a brand new track with some cool onboard audio for Space Mountain!
Between a half-assed refurbishment that did extend the lifespan of the tracks in 2009 and the addition of in-flight SFX in 2011, I doubt that will happen. Although if the ride enters emergency refurbishment (like Disneyland) I'm gonna be pretty ed at TDO for letting an attraction get so decrepit.
I think that "Old Fantasyland" needs some refurbishment too. Its facades look plasticy.
But, as much as I love the motley Tomorrowland at night and the nineties nostalgia of the Terrace design, I'm happy it's finally getting some love. Maybe they'll burn down Stitch's Great Escape in the work, and we get another Tiki-like miracle!

Cesar R M

Pete is the kid. Elliot is the dragon.
the confusion is always because the name of the movie is "Pete's Dragon".

ALSO.. its my imagination or they are doing a film of them in 2016??
and with Karl Urban and Robert Redford?

I cant just imagine Karl Urban doing his badass impression of Judge Dredd when confronting Elliot (lol)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2788732/

Last edited:

deix15x8

the confusion is always because the name of the movie is "Pete's Dragon".

ALSO.. its my imagination or they are doing a film of them in 2016??
and with Karl Urban and Robert Redford?

I cant just imagine Karl Urban doing his badass impression of Judge Dredd when confronting Ellion (lol)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2788732/
They'll become relevant just in time to start fading out of existence again.

MerlinTheGoat

You can be at least a little excited.
Interesting...hm.

I_want_to_believe5.jpg

Well besides the speculation of whether this could happen or not, the end result's quality will depend on the budget and which creatives are involved.

My biggest fear is what we could potentially lose in the process, depending on what they do to the lands. Disney has developed an unfortunate habit of closing quality classic rides and finding ways to screw them up. Instead of actually expanding onto new land. There's substantial unused space to expand both Frontierland and Tomorrowland without closing anything. It would not be a happy day if either Splash Mountain or Big Thunder were to close. But considering their massive popularity,one would think they'd probably safe (unless they're sick of paying to maintain a ride on the scale of Splash anymore). Hopefully whatever is planned is respectful to the land's integrity and doesn't replace anything good with inferior attractions.

Back in 2012 there WAS a thread about a potential expansion for Frontierland, whylightbulb made the thread and it was in regards to resurrecting ideas from Western River Expedition. It involved using a chunk of land above the Haunted Mansion and Small World show buildings, mildly altering the northern section of Tom Sawyer's Island apparently (though it possibly involved the permanent docking of the Riverboat). The project never seemed to have gotten anywhere and we all basically forgot it, but here's the discussion (don't know if it's still relevant given these new 50th anniversary rumors)-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/frontierland-makeover.856151/

Tomorrowland needs a lot of work, there's both a ton of expansion land to work with there AND existing crap that needs to go and wouldn't be missed by most (Stitch and Monsters). But i'd not wish to lose the Peoplemover or Carousel of Progress. WDW is the only place you can still experience either one of these attractions. Enhancements would be fantastic, necessary in fact in regards to CoP. But I don't want to see either removed. Space Mountain i'm sure is staying, it's an immensely popular ride and a classic that originated at WDW. Though a good rebuild and enhancements to bring it up to standards with other versions i'm guessing is something many creatives are still lobbying for.

Last edited:

IMFearless

Done right this could be amazing, done on the cheap this has disaster written all over it.

I'd love to see a revamped SpectroMagic using the most up to date technology. Keep the basic tune but maybe adjust the sound slightly for today's audience.

I think there is a lot of mileage in the whole white outlines with everything suddenly bursting into colour. Done well that could be a really amazing effect. Kind of a nostalgic look back to the past but with the most up to date technology.

It would please guests who have only been to Disney since MSEP as they'd be getting something completely new, but at the same time it would be nostalgic and appeal to those of us who remember SpectroMagic, I don't remember anyone disliking that parade, I think it was generally very well received.

I do think they should keep MSEP however. The thought of it being destroyed is awful. I do think there is merit in rotating the parades, perhaps run MSEP a few nights a week and a different parade on others.

IMFearless

I think with Magic Kingdom being so busy these days there would be a number of things they could do with it.

Why not run it at Epcot around World Showcase instead?

I know the whole Main Street part doesn't fit but it would be a great way of spreading out the crowds after illuminations. It could set off from American Adventure, head round to Mexico, lap the lagoon and return to AA via the IG side of the lagoon. Fund it by keeping retail, bars and food open an extra hour or two.

I think putting a new parade into MK at night is going to be unbearable though crowd wise.

articos

Interesting...hm.

I_want_to_believe5.jpg

Well besides the speculation of whether this could happen or not, the end result's quality will depend on the budget and which creatives are involved.

My biggest fear is what we could potentially lose in the process, depending on what they do to the lands. Disney has developed an unfortunate habit of closing quality classic rides and finding ways to screw them up. Instead of actually expanding onto new land. There's substantial unused space to expand both Frontierland and Tomorrowland without closing anything. It would not be a happy day if either Splash Mountain or Big Thunder were to close. But considering their massive popularity,one would think they'd probably safe (unless they're sick of paying to maintain a ride on the scale of Splash anymore). Hopefully whatever is planned is respectful to the land's integrity and doesn't replace anything good with inferior attractions.

Back in 2012 there WAS a thread about a potential expansion for Frontierland, whylightbulb made the thread and it was in regards to resurrecting ideas from Western River Expedition. It involved using a chunk of land above the Haunted Mansion and Small World show buildings, mildly altering the northern section of Tom Sawyer's Island apparently (though it possibly involved the permanent docking of the Riverboat). The project never seemed to have gotten anywhere and we all basically forgot it, but here's the discussion (don't know if it's still relevant given these new 50th anniversary rumors)-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/frontierland-makeover.856151/

Tomorrowland needs a lot of work, there's both a ton of expansion land to work with there AND existing crap that needs to go and wouldn't be missed by most (Stitch and Monsters). But i'd not wish to lose the Peoplemover or Carousel of Progress. WDW is the only place you can still experience either one of these attractions. Enhancements would be fantastic, necessary in fact in regards to CoP. But I don't want to see either removed. Space Mountain i'm sure is staying, it's an immensely popular ride and a classic that originated at WDW. Though a good rebuild and enhancements to bring it up to standards with other versions i'm guessing is something many creatives are still lobbying for.
Splash and Thunder aren't going anywhere. Thunder should get better still.

spectrodanny

As long as they are updating Frontierland, is it asking too much for a return of thr Country Bear Chrstmas Special or Country Bear Vacation Hoedown, Tokyo shows all 3 seasonally so, Why not Florida (YES i realize i'll prpbably see a commemt sayimg "Florida only has 1 theater" but that's OM. The way Tokyo Altermates showa it's Origomal: Sumday after Christmas-Early June Vacation: Early June-November and Christmas: November = Friday before NY (the entire attraction shuts down the Saturday before New Years to change both theaters back to the Original)

MerlinTheGoat

Splash and Thunder aren't going anywhere. Thunder should get better still.
Good to know. Splash really doesn't need anything either, just for maintenance crews to keep it in good condition and ensure it never descends into its prior poor condition again.

Spirit mentioned last year that Big Thunder would get Disneyland's recent enhancements in the not-so-distant future, stating that a lot of the work could be done in third shift. So one hopes the additions come before the 50th (still a long way off), especially since Disneyland Paris' BTM is also said to be getting the enhancements soon as well. Though MK's version could use a track replacement like Disneyland got as well, it's getting somewhat bumpy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom