Magic Band - Opinion

Margot

Original Poster
Hi there!
I'm French and I am doing my graduating project for my master's degree about Disney, the Magic Band and the collection of data. I would really appreciate it if you could take 2 minutes to answer a survey I did to know more about people perception of the band.
Here it is: https://goo.gl/forms/jzmhTSc844tEOEiv1

Thank you so much!
Have a lovely day,
Margot.

Margot

Original Poster

NormC

Have you researched the Magic Band yourself? Do you know that it contains no information about the user. It does not contain payment information. It is simply an identifying number like a PIN to link to the information on a server. It is essentially just a wearable RFID tag.

Margot

Original Poster
Have you researched the Magic Band yourself? Do you know that it contains no information about the user. It does not contain payment information. It is simply an identifying number like a PIN to link to the information on a server. It is essentially just a wearable RFID tag.
What I mean is that it is connected to your account where you have all your information, isn't that correct?
I did a lot of research and I found that it "knows" where you are on the park at any time. And, if you can pay with it, you must have given either your paiement information to your account or credit your account, isn't that correct?
The band doesn't exist in France so I never used it, that's why I try to have answers from people who actually used the Magic Band, since all I can do is read about it :)

Minthorne

What I mean is that it is connected to your account where you have all your information, isn't that correct?
I did a lot of research and I found that it "knows" where you are on the park at any time. And, if you can pay with it, you must have given either your paiement information to your account or credit your account, isn't that correct?
The band doesn't exist in France so I never used it, that's why I try to have answers from people who actually used the Magic Band, since all I can do is read about it :)

You have given the hotel your credit card. The band just identifies you at the purchase point. The purchase amount is sent to the hotel. The charge is done on the hotel bill not at the point of purchase. Buying with a band is just telling the hotel to put it on your bill. There is no real financial transaction that happens at the point of buying with a magic band. This is why only guests staying in a Disney hotel can use the band to charge.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Désolé, mais les lois sur la vie privée de l'Union européenne n'ont aucune incidence sur ce qui se passe aux États-Unis. Il existe beaucoup plus d'éléments disponibles à partir d'une surveillance publique automatisée de routine que ceux tirés d'une bande magique.

Margot

Original Poster
You have given the hotel your credit card. The band just identifies you at the purchase point. The purchase amount is sent to the hotel. The charge is done on the hotel bill not at the point of purchase. Buying with a band is just telling the hotel to put it on your bill. There is no real financial transaction that happens at the point of buying with a magic band. This is why only guests staying in a Disney hotel can use the band to charge.
Oh okay I understand better how it works! Is it the same way for purchases in stores and restaurants?
Thank you for your insight!

Margot

Original Poster
Désolé, mais les lois sur la vie privée de l'Union européenne n'ont aucune incidence sur ce qui se passe aux États-Unis. Il existe beaucoup plus d'éléments disponibles à partir d'une surveillance publique automatisée de routine que ceux tirés d'une bande magique.
C'est justement ce que j'essaie de déterminer, si ce concept présent aux États-Unis pourrait fonctionner en France également avec les lois sur la vie privée.
Mais j'ai du mal à trouver des informations à ce niveau. Est-ce qu'il existe le même type de lois de protection des données aux États-Unis ?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
C'est justement ce que j'essaie de déterminer, si ce concept présent aux États-Unis pourrait fonctionner en France également avec les lois sur la vie privée.
Mais j'ai du mal à trouver des informations à ce niveau. Est-ce qu'il existe le même type de lois de protection des données aux États-Unis ?
À ce jour, les États-Unis n'ont pas de législation centralisée et formelle au niveau fédéral en ce qui concerne cette question, mais assure la protection de la vie privée et la protection des données par le biais de la Loi sur la protection des renseignements personnels des États-Unis, de la Loi sur la sécurité et de la Portabilité et de la responsabilité de l'assurance maladie Acte.

Il existe également d'autres articles comme Sarbanes-Oxley et des normes de l'industrie telles que la norme de sécurité des données de l'industrie de la carte de paiement (PCI DSS). Les États-Unis tentent aussi fort qu'il ne peut pas mettre en œuvre des règlements draconiens, mais parfois, nos fonctionnaires du gouvernement construisent ces petits empires. La lutte éternelle entre ceux qui veulent un gouvernement de contrôle tout puissant et ceux qui apprécient la liberté.

Margot

Original Poster
À ce jour, les États-Unis n'ont pas de législation centralisée et formelle au niveau fédéral en ce qui concerne cette question, mais assure la protection de la vie privée et la protection des données par le biais de la Loi sur la protection des renseignements personnels des États-Unis, de la Loi sur la sécurité et de la Portabilité et de la responsabilité de l'assurance maladie Acte.

Il existe également d'autres articles comme Sarbanes-Oxley et des normes de l'industrie telles que la norme de sécurité des données de l'industrie de la carte de paiement (PCI DSS). Les États-Unis tentent aussi fort qu'il ne peut pas mettre en œuvre des règlements draconiens, mais parfois, nos fonctionnaires du gouvernement construisent ces petits empires. La lutte éternelle entre ceux qui veulent un gouvernement de contrôle tout puissant et ceux qui apprécient la liberté.

Merci beaucoup pour ces précisions !

dreamfinder

Oh okay I understand better how it works! Is it the same way for purchases in stores and restaurants?
Thank you for your insight!

The Magic Band is literally just a fancier room key. If you ever traveled to WDW (or any other resort that let you use your room key to do things like pay) you have used a similar system. As a PP said, it just points back to your account in My Disney Experience. Which then in turn also references things like your hotel reservation, park tickets, etc. So when a guest scans their band at a tap point, be it a hotel room door lock, turnstile to enter the park, pay system at restaurant; the tap point reads the band ID, and matches that ID to the band database. If the band database has a corresponding link to a resort ticket, it lets you in the gate. If it has a link to a room reservation that had setup charging (really no different than any store that lets a customer buy on store credit) it will let them charge. The band system doesn't know what ticket they have, it just gets told they have a valid ticket. It doesn't know their credit card, it just knows that they have a line of credit at the hotel and to charge the Mickey bar to WDW-Account-117A89EW (or whatever the system uses to tie back to the room).

Now the band does diverge from that simplier room key by having long range NFC capabilities. Those do let WDW have a pretty good idea on your location within the park. Is that a worry to me? To a point yes, but only to a point. I'd suspect that WDW could do a decent job of reconstructing 30-50% of that data using existing systems through big data. Matching ticket to credit card used to purchase it, tickets used around the same time, tickets used to get the old paper FP, credit card used at a certain restaurant, etc. Since most people only have a few CC's they use, it's pretty easy to build up a history of where they were when. And then knowing how long it takes to get from A to B, and what approx wait times were that day they could guess what rides you did. Stuff like that. My understanding is that the NFC isn't nearly as precise as GPS, especially over distance unless they can grab you from multiple readers at once. And even then, WDW knowing that I spent 30 mins in line at Cosmic Rays isn't nearly as bothersome to me as if the government knew I spent 30 mins at the public library reading books on democracy. They already know I'm in the park since my ticket was scanned, so it's only a bit more granular than that.

Margot

Original Poster
The Magic Band is literally just a fancier room key. If you ever traveled to WDW (or any other resort that let you use your room key to do things like pay) you have used a similar system. As a PP said, it just points back to your account in My Disney Experience. Which then in turn also references things like your hotel reservation, park tickets, etc. So when a guest scans their band at a tap point, be it a hotel room door lock, turnstile to enter the park, pay system at restaurant; the tap point reads the band ID, and matches that ID to the band database. If the band database has a corresponding link to a resort ticket, it lets you in the gate. If it has a link to a room reservation that had setup charging (really no different than any store that lets a customer buy on store credit) it will let them charge. The band system doesn't know what ticket they have, it just gets told they have a valid ticket. It doesn't know their credit card, it just knows that they have a line of credit at the hotel and to charge the Mickey bar to WDW-Account-117A89EW (or whatever the system uses to tie back to the room).

Now the band does diverge from that simplier room key by having long range NFC capabilities. Those do let WDW have a pretty good idea on your location within the park. Is that a worry to me? To a point yes, but only to a point. I'd suspect that WDW could do a decent job of reconstructing 30-50% of that data using existing systems through big data. Matching ticket to credit card used to purchase it, tickets used around the same time, tickets used to get the old paper FP, credit card used at a certain restaurant, etc. Since most people only have a few CC's they use, it's pretty easy to build up a history of where they were when. And then knowing how long it takes to get from A to B, and what approx wait times were that day they could guess what rides you did. Stuff like that. My understanding is that the NFC isn't nearly as precise as GPS, especially over distance unless they can grab you from multiple readers at once. And even then, WDW knowing that I spent 30 mins in line at Cosmic Rays isn't nearly as bothersome to me as if the government knew I spent 30 mins at the public library reading books on democracy. They already know I'm in the park since my ticket was scanned, so it's only a bit more granular than that.
Okay I see! I didn't get that it was kind of like store credit.

It's really interesting for me to see the different point of views since in France personal data is highly protected by organizations, and I talked to a lot of people who are very uncomfortable with sharing where they are, even if at the end the park can easily compute it.
I'm having a hard time distinguishing what can be done depending on the country.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom