Magic Band issues in today's cold weather

minniemickeyfan

Original Poster
Hi all, currently at Pop Century and Magic Bands are not opening door locks on many rooms. I went to the front desk and they said at least 70 people have reported the same issues. They told me to try to warm the door lock to let me back in my room! Will see what happens later in the day.
Anyway, just thought I'd report. Anyone else having issues?

GeekDad

So the issue is with the door locks being too cold? If thats the case then I would think the issue would be the same whether you had a MB or KTTW.I'm also curious why the cold wouldbe an issue. Here in NH some buisnesses have RFID locks on the outside of thier buildings and the RFID technology still works in temps colder then what FL is seeing right now.

minniemickeyfan

Original Poster
To clarify, it's the door locks being too cold so the Magic bands or I would think key to the world cards wouldn't work either.

minniemickeyfan

Original Poster
Warm the locks with what? Blow on them, unrinate on them? I really hope this is not true.
They said rub them with your hands. I said whatever to myself and left for the parks. Only way I knew about this is when my husband tried to get back in the room and couldnt get in. I was glad I was still in there! Hope it works later!

Rob562

Since the door locks have internal batteries, it's possible that cold weather is affecting those batteries. If a battery was near the end of its life-cycle, it may be more suceptible to dying in the cold, just like an old car battery in sub-zero temps.

And if this is the case, then as others have said it's an issue that would happen with a Band or an RFID card.

-Rob

NeverEnufDisney

We had the same problem at All Star Music, but no mention of a cold door lock. They actually rebooked our reservation and gave us a key to the world card for entry to our room. Our magic bands worked fine for fastpass+.

minniemickeyfan

Original Poster
No problems with cold door locks at CSR.. just Magic Bands that don't want to activate properly. Just what my parents needs after all their travel difficulties this week :(
Yes I've been having the same problem with them getting into the room even in warm weather. I wasted so much time going back down to the front desk to get them to work at times. My family is starting to call them the "not so magical bands".

Kay Tee

Yes I've been having the same problem with them getting into the room even in warm weather. I wasted so much time going back down to the front desk to get them to work at times. My family is starting to call them the "not so magical bands".
Boy do I know how you feel! We stayed at POR over Christmas. After getting home from MK at midnight, we were tired and couldn't wait to go to bed. Our magic bands wouldn't open the door to our room! We had to walk at least 1/4 mile or more to the lobby, which was no big deal but we were tired from walking all night at MK. Our room was at the other end of the resort so we walked hoping that someone would be in the lobby that late at night to help us. Luckily they were! They were very apologetic and we ended up having one of the workers walk back to our room to get us in with her key. In the meantime she had given us a choice to have a maintenance worker come to look at the problem or wait until morning. We chose to have him show up now. He was there within a few minutes and he found the problem. It was the battery in our door was dead. He replaced the battery within a few seconds and problem solved. I wonder how many others had this happen too. We were very happy with the way they solved our problem that late at night. But, I'm sure there would be other people that wouldn't have been so nice and understanding. My magic band wasn't working most of the day to begin with. Very frustrated when it wouldn't allow me into the parks and I had to be pulled to the side and prove I was a guest at our resort. I was ready to throw it under a bus after it wouldn't let us in our room. It all worked out in the end but I still don't like the stupid thing.

Rob562

Boy do I know how you feel! We stayed at POR over Christmas. After getting home from MK at midnight, we were tired and couldn't wait to go to bed. Our magic bands wouldn't open the door to our room! We had to walk at least 1/4 mile or more to the lobby, which was no big deal but we were tired from walking all night at MK. Our room was at the other end of the resort so we walked hoping that someone would be in the lobby that late at night to help us. Luckily they were! They were very apologetic and we ended up having one of the workers walk back to our room to get us in with her key. In the meantime she had given us a choice to have a maintenance worker come to look at the problem or wait until morning. We chose to have him show up now. He was there within a few minutes and he found the problem. It was the battery in our door was dead. He replaced the battery within a few seconds and problem solved. I wonder how many others had this happen too. We were very happy with the way they solved our problem that late at night. But, I'm sure there would be other people that wouldn't have been so nice and understanding. My magic band wasn't working most of the day to begin with. Very frustrated when it wouldn't allow me into the parks and I had to be pulled to the side and prove I was a guest at our resort. I was ready to throw it under a bus after it wouldn't let us in our room. It all worked out in the end but I still don't like the stupid thing.

Just an FYI, a dead battery in the door lock would have prevented the older RFID card from opening your room door, too. It had zero to do with you specifically using the Band, so your frustration toward the Band in this situation is a little mis-placed...

-Rob

Kay Tee

Just an FYI, a dead battery in the door lock would have prevented the older RFID card from opening your room door, too. It had zero to do with you specifically using the Band, so your frustration toward the Band in this situation is a little mis-placed...

-Rob
Just an FYI, do you think I don't know that? So glad you cleared it up for me!! Just trying to let others know what happened in our situation in case they think the band is the problem with the door. After having a day filled with problems getting into the parks with my BAND, and having to prove I was staying at a resort every time, I figured the band was the problem with our room too! Luckily, this time it wasn't. But I see others had the same problem so I was only letting them know it might be the battery in the door, rather than the band itself. Can't believe the way people attack one another on here, when I'm just sharing my experience!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom