Magic band /fastPass/and the single rider

dvitali

Original Poster
My previous Disney trips I only use the paper fastPass twice the entire trip, just Soaring, and Toy Mania, nothing else in both park, nor Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom seem to me warrant me getting one because I sometime use the single rider entrance or it just walk on with a short wait. Since this my first time with the magic band I wonder if I should not to choose any ahead of time at all. Going to be by myself with no need to rush from attraction to another (specially if I decide to do the 24 hours MK event). Should I just wait until I am at the parks or get it done now?

I would still book some fastpasses and change them later if you don't need them. When I went in February I didn't need them in AK, saved them for evening HS. At MK in am did thunder mountain no Fp early, saved Fp for space mountain and buzz light year mid day. Needed Fp for Epcot and HS for the big rides, but we did them more than once. Arrived at rope drop and extra magic hours each time. You might find with magic bands as you get closer to your trip the times get pushed later and later. I felt better having them booked knowing I could change them. It was like a card game!

jlsHouston

We were just at WDW and it was pretty busy with alot of spring break people. We found if we made rope drop that we could walk on a few favorite rides and just like @Captainvideo says use the FP+ selection for either the afternoon or evening park. We also found that if we decided to change experiences or times at 2 in the afternoon all our E ticket selections were unavailable. This happened to me twice before I got it through my thick head FP+ holds similar qualities to legacy in terms of no TSMM, TOT, RNRC, BTMRR, SM, Peter Pan fast passes as the day progresses on high crowd days.

Make your changes/selections before noon on the days you will be wanting to use FP+.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We were just at WDW and it was pretty busy with alot of spring break people. We found if we made rope drop that we could walk on a few favorite rides and just like @Captainvideo says use the FP+ selection for either the afternoon or evening park. We also found that if we decided to change experiences or times at 2 in the afternoon all our E ticket selections were unavailable. This happened to me twice before I got it through my thick head FP+ holds similar qualities to legacy in terms of no TSMM, TOT, RNRC, BTMRR, SM, Peter Pan fast passes as the day progresses on high crowd days.

Make your changes/selections before noon on the days you will be wanting to use FP+.

My DD and I have been preparing and we have been following the wait time and patterns. What you said about yesterday did show up in the private app. What I also did notice this week is Disney pulled the single rider option out at TT yesterday at Epcot and the stand-by was pretty dang long.

I agree, I'd get the FP+s. If they are in hand and they aren't needed, just don't use, but a nice safety net.

jlsHouston

My DD and I have been preparing and we have been following the wait time and patterns. What you said about yesterday did show up in the private app. What I also did notice this week is Disney pulled the single rider option out at TT yesterday at Epcot and the stand-by was pretty dang long.

I agree, I'd get the FP+s. If they are in hand and they are needed, just don't use, but a nice safety net.

Man, that is a real bummer if that happened at TT too. We never did get on RNRC because the 2 times we were at HS, single rider was closed the line had gotten longer than stand by. The tiering is a real problem at EPCOT and HS.

Then I would double recommendation if you are visiting parks on high crowd days, it is very important to start early so your stand by times are short for the E ticket rides you don't fast pass or that you want to ride more than once.

We tried using the app in the parks to check stand by times but the week we were there it only worked 2 days out of 8 :banghead:

I got pretty frustrated with FP+. Now that I am home and can reflect more and react less, I see where it was my own stupidity letting time get away and then trying to change things so late in the day. The concept of scheduling FP's at your leisure I took to the level that it meant I could tweak them around whenever. I got lulled into a false sense of security that I would get my 3 choices no matter what. Well the way it is set up, I will get 3 FP's per day no matter what, but it might be for teacups, carousel and stitch if I pussyfoot around and try to change things too late in the day.

Innkeeper's Club

I agree, I'd get the FP+s. If they are in hand and they aren't needed, just don't use, but a nice safety net.
That sucks about Test Track no longer having the single rider option. In my family I am the only one who goes on it, so the single rider line was great for me. So I guess it gives me a reason to make a FP+ for it.

I got pretty frustrated with FP+. Now that I am home and can reflect more and react less, I see where it was my own stupidity letting time get away and then trying to change things so late in the day. The concept of scheduling FP's at your leisure I took to the level that it meant I could tweak them around whenever. I got lulled into a false sense of security that I would get my 3 choices no matter what. Well the way it is set up, I will get 3 FP's per day no matter what, but it might be for teacups, carousel and stitch if I pussyfoot around and try to change things too late in the day.

During my trip I was able to change one Fp right after lunch from thunder mountain to haunted mansion and the Fp time return time was 10 minutes after the change. We had ridden Thunder mountain 4 or 5 times first thing in the morning so we didn't need to ride it again. MK was packed being feb vaca week so the Fp switch and time worked out for us.

NearTheEars

We've been using single rider since we lost access to FP as AP. Sad to hear it go at TT, but glad we are finally able to make reservations now. I hope they don't remove it at EE. The single rider line there is kind of tucked away and we use it often.

Redhawk

It's like it's a secret. I don't think many know it's over there.
They will now! My husband and I usually ride first together using a FP, then single rider to get in a couple of extra rides without the long wait.

More and more families and groups get in the single rider lines, to the point they are sort of abusing it. Parents get in line with young children and then hope the CM won't really separate them. Witnessed that at TT twice.

When I last rode RnRC a group of English-as-a-second-language folks got in the single rider line ahead of me and then got "confused" and suddenly couldn't understand English when the CM tried to separate them. She did the right thing in that she pulled the 5 aside and let several of us true "single" riders go ahead of them. Ha ha -- I don't know hold long she kept them waiting.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom