Magic Band Battery Life

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
Here is a questions that I can not seem to get an answer to. I have been told that Magic Bands have a battery in them that will last somewhere between a year and three years. I have been told there a two RFD chips in the Magic Band. One up for use up close and one for a greater distance. When the battery is starting to get weak the one RFD chip will still work on devices that you touch "Mickey to Mickey", but the other will not work on things like photo pass on attractions. My questions is how do I know that my Magic Band battery is not going to work on the second RFD chip? Any one know?

arko

The estimate is between 1 to 2 years
The RFID chip for close up doesn't actually have a battery and is powered by the signal from the Mickey post

There is no indicator as to when it will actually die, which is why they keep giving you new ones.
In fact Disney just changed the MM policy on My Disney Experience allowing you to forgo a magicband with your reservation if you already have one and it is less than one year old.

Rob562

I've thought that they could have a simple setup at Guest Relations locations.

Just have a touchpoint that you touch your Band to. The touchpoint is linked to a long-distance reader in the ceiling 20-30 feet away. If the long-distance reader can also "see" the Band when you touch it to the touch reader, you get a green Mickey. If not, you get a flashing blue Mickey indicating that the long-distance reader can't see it and the battery is dead (or that it's weaker than whatever pre-determined level to be considered "operational" for long-distance reading).

Such a system may be able to work standalone without having to be tied into the full MM+ system. Just a local CPU connected to the two readers. Though it might need full access due to the encrypted nature of the data.

-Rob

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I've thought that they could have a simple setup at Guest Relations locations.

Just have a touchpoint that you touch your Band to. The touchpoint is linked to a long-distance reader in the ceiling 20-30 feet away. If the long-distance reader can also "see" the Band when you touch it to the touch reader, you get a green Mickey. If not, you get a flashing blue Mickey indicating that the long-distance reader can't see it and the battery is dead (or that it's weaker than whatever pre-determined level to be considered "operational" for long-distance reading).

Such a system may be able to work standalone without having to be tied into the full MM+ system. Just a local CPU connected to the two readers. Though it might need full access due to the encrypted nature of the data.

-Rob
Something like this may well happen as battery life starts to become an issue with bands in the wild.

PrincessVic

When we go in October, our bands will be 2 years old. We are not staying on-site, and I see no mention of getting new bands although our tickets are linked to the bands. Is there a way to get them replaced? Worrying now that we won't get ride photos etc if they don't pick up our bands

Tuvalu

Premium Member
When we go in October, our bands will be 2 years old. We are not staying on-site, and I see no mention of getting new bands although our tickets are linked to the bands. Is there a way to get them replaced? Worrying now that we won't get ride photos etc if they don't pick up our bands
You will need to purchase bands if you are concerned about the battery life.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
We are into unknown territory with how battery life is going to hold up. I haven't seen any reports yet of failed bands. Best bet would be to check on day one that things are working as they should be, and if not, you'll need to buy replacements. WDW Resort guests will get replacement bands every trip unless they opt out.

PrincessVic

We are into unknown territory with how battery life is going to hold up. I haven't seen any reports yet of failed bands. Best bet would be to check on day one that things are working as they should be, and if not, you'll need to buy replacements. WDW Resort guests will get replacement bands every trip unless they opt out.
Thank you for that. I did email Disney after reading this post (and before there were any replies) and yes, I will have to purchase a band for my MIL which is totally fine. But he said to take our bands to Guest Services if they aren't working and they may be able to replace them. I guess to me it seems a bit unfair that we have purchased the Memory Maker, but unless we buy new bands, we can't take full advantage of what the MM offers. Although, can we just link the ride photos at the end of the ride with the band like previously? In which case, there is no issues as won't miss out on the ride photos on our MM!

HolleBolleGijs

Thank you for that. I did email Disney after reading this post (and before there were any replies) and yes, I will have to purchase a band for my MIL which is totally fine. But he said to take our bands to Guest Services if they aren't working and they may be able to replace them. I guess to me it seems a bit unfair that we have purchased the Memory Maker, but unless we buy new bands, we can't take full advantage of what the MM offers. Although, can we just link the ride photos at the end of the ride with the band like previously? In which case, there is no issues as won't miss out on the ride photos on our MM!

From what I've read (we don't use MM), they can easily link the photos for you after the ride for most attractions.

Rob562

Yes, you can just tap your Band (or park ticket) to the reader under the monitor to link the ride photo. Worst thing that'll happen is you'll get the photo on your account twice. (Once for the touchpoint, once for the long-distance reader)

The only place this won't work (so far) is Seven Dwarfs where there are no preview monitors. It's long-distance Band read only.

-Rob

PrincessVic

From what I've read (we don't use MM), they can easily link the photos for you after the ride for most attractions.

Yes, you can just tap your Band (or park ticket) to the reader under the monitor to link the ride photo. Worst thing that'll happen is you'll get the photo on your account twice. (Once for the touchpoint, once for the long-distance reader)

The only place this won't work (so far) is Seven Dwarfs where there are no preview monitors. It's long-distance Band read only.

-Rob

Thank you so much, put my mind at ease now!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom