Made Better in Japan

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Most people who have visited Walt Disney World or Disneyland in the past would say that the most impressive and outstanding attractions were made there. Nobody else could do it better. Now take those same people and introduce them to the current American Disney theme parks. They would be appaled by the cardboard cut outs and the huge amount of off the shelf carnival rides found throughout the parks. Who could do it better? Japan. Why? Because the Tokyo Disneyland theme parks aren't owned by Disney but by Oriental Land Company who has a licensing agreement with Disney. They pour more money into a single E-Ticket attraction then most recent theme parks. Even the most simple of rides, the improve upon and that is why the imagineers are so fascinated with Tokyo DisneySea.

Let us take a look, shall we? The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh at Walt Disney World. Though the two are different, Winnie the Pooh in WDW has to be the most impressive Fantasyland attraction there. But the presence of cardvoard cut outs is still present. Tokyo Disneyland's has a satellite tracking system which allows the cars swirve and bounce around giving guests a true Winnie the Pooh experience. The one in WDW is stationed by a track and gives almost no movement besides the bouncing when you meet Tigger, which isn't all that fabulous. Why can't they be the same? Money. Expect the one coming to Disneyland to replace the Bears to be even more cheaper because of Disneyland budget.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was a classic Fantasyland attraction made at WDW but due to problems it shut down in 1994 for refurbishment but sadly never reopened. The subs were removed in 1997 and the entrance was replaced witha Character Meet & Greet. The submarines from the old ride popped here and there (remember the one found in the pre-show of the Backlot Tour at the Disney-MGM Studios). Well, Japan has done it again. 20,000 Leagues is one of the featured attractions in Mysterious Island at Tokyo DisneySea. Look carefully and you can even spot one of the original submarines from the WDW attraction sitting in the lagoon. The true vision of Jules Verne's classic novel and Walt Disney's imaginary movie are finally realized in full spectacular color. The ride goes beyonf the lame audio-animatronics of the old ride.

They even do a simple carousel better then the American Disney theme parks. Tired of riding King Trition's seahorses while Beachboy music is played? The head to Tokyo DisneySea and check out Caravan Carousel. This is the first ever two-story Disney carousel ever built. Guests ride creatures iinspired by the stories of 1001 Arabian Nights, which even include the Genie from Aladdin. Illustrated panels on the upper level depict scenes from the novel. Check it out in the latest edition of Disney Magazine. Heck! Check out all of Tokyo DisneySea and try to make comparisons to similar attractions here in America. Feel ripped off, don't ya?

Till next time, See Ya!! :cool:

The Mom

Premium Member
In Disney's defense, I must state that it is easier to design and build an attraction from the ground up than to redesign an existing one. Just look at how long Space is taking! In Fantasyland, crowds would have to be rerouted because of space limitations, and any new attractions would be restricted by available space. Disney also has to deal with many government restrictions that don't exist in other countries.

BTW,MickeyMoose15, that was an extremely well-written post. Mightyduck would be pleased!

:)

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Thank You!!

What I'm saying is that with the recent amount of closed attractions in the American parks (Timekeeper, Country Bears, etc..) and the addition of off the shelf carnival rides (Magic Carpets of Aladding, Dino-Rama, Paradise Pier, etc...), Japan looks really good right now.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Coming Soon:

Classic Have to Die Sooner or Later!
Part 1- World of Motion
Part 2- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Part 3- Horizons
Part 4- Country Bears (Disneyland)
Part 5- Great Moments with Mr. Lincolin (Disneyland)

See Ya!!!:cool:

MrPromey

Originally posted by MickeyMoose15
Most people who have visited Walt Disney World or Disneyland in the past would say that the most impressive and outstanding attractions were made there. Nobody else could do it better. Now take those same people and introduce them to the current American Disney theme parks. They would be appaled by the cardboard cut outs and the huge amount of off the shelf carnival rides found throughout the parks. Who could do it better? Japan. Why? Because the Tokyo Disneyland theme parks aren't owned by Disney but by Oriental Land Company who has a licensing agreement with Disney. They pour more money into a single E-Ticket attraction then most recent theme parks. Even the most simple of rides, the improve upon and that is why the imagineers are so fascinated with Tokyo DisneySea.

Let us take a look, shall we? The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh at Walt Disney World. Though the two are different, Winnie the Pooh in WDW has to be the most impressive Fantasyland attraction there. But the presence of cardvoard cut outs is still present. Tokyo Disneyland's has a satellite tracking system which allows the cars swirve and bounce around giving guests a true Winnie the Pooh experience. The one in WDW is stationed by a track and gives almost no movement besides the bouncing when you meet Tigger, which isn't all that fabulous. Why can't they be the same? Money. Expect the one coming to Disneyland to replace the Bears to be even more cheaper because of Disneyland budget.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was a classic Fantasyland attraction made at WDW but due to problems it shut down in 1994 for refurbishment but sadly never reopened. The subs were removed in 1997 and the entrance was replaced witha Character Meet & Greet. The submarines from the old ride popped here and there (remember the one found in the pre-show of the Backlot Tour at the Disney-MGM Studios). Well, Japan has done it again. 20,000 Leagues is one of the featured attractions in Mysterious Island at Tokyo DisneySea. Look carefully and you can even spot one of the original submarines from the WDW attraction sitting in the lagoon. The true vision of Jules Verne's classic novel and Walt Disney's imaginary movie are finally realized in full spectacular color. The ride goes beyonf the lame audio-animatronics of the old ride.

They even do a simple carousel better then the American Disney theme parks. Tired of riding King Trition's seahorses while Beachboy music is played? The head to Tokyo DisneySea and check out Caravan Carousel. This is the first ever two-story Disney carousel ever built. Guests ride creatures iinspired by the stories of 1001 Arabian Nights, which even include the Genie from Aladdin. Illustrated panels on the upper level depict scenes from the novel. Check it out in the latest edition of Disney Magazine. Heck! Check out all of Tokyo DisneySea and try to make comparisons to similar attractions here in America. Feel ripped off, don't ya?

Till next time, See Ya!! :cool:

While you make a few good points, what you are saying isn't completely fair. First of all, I would like to know what exactly you found in our Winnie the Pooh ride that was made out of cardboard. I have yet to see anything in the attraction that was cut out with scissors.
The 20.000 Leagues is a totally unfair comparison. Sure, you can knock the fact that ours is closed but how can you compare the technology in a brand new attraction from one that is decades old and not even still in operation?
As for the carousel, the one at WDW is literally and antique. Disney didn't build it. Its a turn of the century one that they discovered and restored. You'll notice that there are no Disney characters present on ours. That's why. It was done in a true classic style. Even still with that one, you are comparing apples to oranges because this ride was in WDW the day it opened and the one in TDS is less than a year old.
I'm not saying I disagree completely with your opinion but I don't feel that you did a very good job of supporting your position with most of these examples.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
While you raise some good points, I can easily make an argument that the best stuff is still in the USA.

EG.

ToT
RocknRollerCoaster
Mission:Space
Relfections of Earth
Fantasmic
Great CMs
4 Main Parks
3 Water Parks

All of the above are missing from Tokyo.

I would also say that it hasnt always been rosey at Tokyo. They had a number of years with very little new stuff in their single park. WDW has seen far more growth and new attractions than they have seen.

I do agree that DisneySeas is stunning on paper...... I hope we see some of the attarctions at our parks. :)

MrPromey

A lot of people like to use Japan as an example of how bad our parks are here in the US but it's not just with Disney, that Japan is this way. Think about it. On a technological level, they are years ahead of us in most regards. They are already using a 2nd generation cellular phone network and are ramping up for a 3rd generation one that will support live video with cell phones. They already have the phones and the technology for that. They are just waiting for all the networks to be upgraded to support it. Most video game systems like Sony's Playstation and Nintendo's various offerings had full scale wide release months or years before they reached the U.S.Digital video cameras, DVD's, VCR's, you name it, they had it long before us.Even many products that aren't from companies based out of Japan, are released over there first. Their culture is hell bent on everything cutting edge. That's why they have cube shaped watermelons and are working on making carbonated fruit. Companies over there (Such as Oriental Land) have to keep pushing ahead or else they will not survive. It's not quite that way over here, though. If Disney was loosing a significant amount of business due to their practices in regards to park updates, don't you think they would change the way they are doing things? They are constantly doing guest surveys in the parks asking about what people think of attractions and if they feel they are dated. If they were actually getting a lot of negative responses, wouldn't they do something about it? I mean, that is why they are asking.
Save for the few like us that are interested enough to follow things more closely, most people in the U.S. probably don't even realize that Japan has a new park. For that matter, may probably don't even know about AK or DCA in our part of the world. Most people who have never been to WDW don't even realize that Epcot is something separate from the MK. If Disney is being cheap over here it is only because they feel that they can get away with it and for the most part, it looks like they can - at least for the moment, anyway...

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Tower of Terror was originally planned for Tokyo DisneySea in the American Waterfront district but due to the ground not able to hold the weight of the structure, they have to postpone it for right now.

The cardboard cut outs are present in the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh in Pooh's Dreams with the Huffalumps and Woozles. They are made of cardboard.

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster was to have been a franchise like Space Mountain, so Tokyo Disneyland should be getting pretty soon.

With the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, I'm saying that Disney could have added new technology to it but didn't and just left in the water to rust for 3 years. Tokyo Disneyland jumped ahead and did it before them.

Based on the carousel, I'm not complaining about the Walt Disney World one but the new ones they are putting in like King Triton's carousel. I'm not saying I don't like the carousels, I'm just saying that Japan is doing a much better job on them. Look in the Disney Magazine.

I stand by my article and what I said.

DisJosh

Tower of Terror was originally planned for Tokyo DisneySea in the American Waterfront district but due to the ground not able to hold the weight of the structure, they have to postpone it for right now.

The cardboard cut outs are present in the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh in Pooh's Dreams with the Huffalumps and Woozles. They are made of cardboard.

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster was to have been a franchise like Space Mountain, so Tokyo Disneyland should be getting pretty soon.

With the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, I'm saying that Disney could have added new technology to it but didn't and just left in the water to rust for 3 years. Tokyo Disneyland jumped ahead and did it before them.

Based on the carousel, I'm not complaining about the Walt Disney World one but the new ones they are putting in like King Triton's carousel. I'm not saying I don't like the carousels, I'm just saying that Japan is doing a much better job on them. Look in the Disney Magazine.

:rolleyes: You actually enjoy WDW right? Doesnt sound like it!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Those are both at the "going to add them in" status then - I wouldnt rely on Tokyo adding anything any time soon after the amount of money they have just spent, and the curent financial situation in Japan right now.

Until they break ground, Internet rumors of adding a new attraction dont carry any weight ( as we know with BK, Fire Mountain, Bald Mountain, Shadow Lands etc)

MrPromey

I seem to remember them being a little thicker than cardboard but I'll take a look the next time around. Plywood or fiberglass or some other material possibly but I would think that the FL humidity alone would be enough to warp and bend over cardboard, especially in the parts that moved. Like I said though, I'll check it out the next time I go and get back to you. If the line isn't too long, I'll try to make my way on it tomorrow.

MrPromey

That's perfectly fine. I wouldn't respect you if you simply rolled over and agreed with all of us after having the guts to give your opinions. I just don't agree with all the logic used in your original post. No hard feelings or anything... :)

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I love WDW. I've been down there hundreds of times. I run the WDW Trivia in the Trivia section. I just made at the recent decisions to add off the shelf carnivals rides in WDW and DL but TDL gets brand new attractions that are so much more impressive then ours. Sorry, I guess I'm a little jealous but my articles means well.

Based on the Tower of Terror, there have very many rumors about adding to California Adventure along with Rock 'n' Roller Coaster but that is still, as you put it, "going to add them in" stage.

Cardboard cut outs were frequent throughout Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and is still present in many of the Fantasyland attractions. They aren't cardboard exactly but they are like pieces of cardboard stuck on hinges.

My article is just an article. My opinion. Make comments as much as you like.

MrPromey

OK, that's what I was getting at. People throw the cardboard term around a lot and it makes things sound a lot cheaper than they really are. If you want to say flat and two dimensional, that's one thing but when you claim something is a cardboard cutout, you are going well beyond that, especially when you use such terms in a post that is meant to be informative as well as opinionated... Just trying to keep Jim Hill off your case. If you start to sound too much like him, he (Or Steve ;) ) might come after you :)

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Thanks MrPromey, Now I'm going to have nighmares about Jim Hill and Steve coming after me! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't like the cardboard cut out term that much either but it has become part of the theme park talk among Americans.

MrPromey

Thanks MrPromey, Now I'm going to have nighmares about Jim Hill and Steve coming after me! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't like the cardboard cut out term that much either but it has become part of the theme park talk among Americans.

Well, think of it this way. If they are both in on it, they are likely to slow down as they fight with each other so you'll have plenty of time to get away!... For the record, Steve, should such a fight ever go down, I'd be on your side of the ring with that little sponge and water bottle. :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by MrPromey

Well, think of it this way. If they are both in on it, they are likely to slow down as they fight with each other so you'll have plenty of time to get away!... For the record, Steve, should such a fight ever go down, I'd be on your side of the ring with that little sponge and water bottle. :)

Well thank you MrP :)
You know me to well! along with JH, there is only one other person who can get me as mad, his ex other half!

MrPromey

Yes, I was witness to this on the email group! I must say, I think you kept your composure together pretty well through that whole ordeal :)

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Where was this e-mail? I know he left MousePlanet because of arguments with the owners and his ex.

COMING SOON:
Classics have to Die Sooner or Later!
Part 1- World of Motion (Sunday)
Part 2- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (Wednesday)
Part 3- Horizons
Part 4- Country Bears (Disneyland)
Part 5- Great Moments with Mr. Lincolin (Disneyland)
Part 6- Timekeeper

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom