M1 vs Intel Macbook Pro - for a graphic designer

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag
Premium Member
Original Poster
That's the question. I tend to go through PC laptops every 2 years, but 5-10 years for my Macs.

If you had to pick an M1 or an Intel Macbook Pro as a graphic designer, which would you take?

DavidNoble

I purchased an M1 about a month or so ago and have absolutely loved it. I find it can handle pretty much everything I throw at it. Which apps are you using and do they support M1 yet? I know Photoshop is right now (not sure if that's what you're using). I've only heard great things about it and support moving forward will only grow for the M1. I would go towards the future if you need something today.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, XD.

I decided to throw caution to the wind (thanks apple card 6% march cashback + education discoubnt), and bought a 13" M1 MBP with 16gb/1tb yesterday. Photoshop runs rather quickly, AI/ID/XD not as quickly, but still workable.

DavidNoble

Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, XD.

I decided to throw caution to the wind (thanks apple card 6% march cashback + education discoubnt), and bought a 13" M1 MBP with 16gb/1tb yesterday. Photoshop runs rather quickly, AI/ID/XD not as quickly, but still workable.

Yeah, looks like Photoshop is the only one running off the M1 chip natively. The others I imagine will be coming along in the upcoming months.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yeah, looks like Photoshop is the only one running off the M1 chip natively. The others I imagine will be coming along in the upcoming months.

I just did a bit of harder work in Illustrator, and it handled it like a champ. I'm impressed.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I got exactly the same hardware config about 2 weeks ago replacing an i9 iMac and at least so far have no regrets at all (except I miss that 5K display). Most of the heavy load stuff I do is photography based and I don't notice any change in performance at all even with tools like Lightroom that are still Intel based. I am glad I got the 16GB vs 8GB RAM version though as I've seen lots of reports that it can get a little sluggish on heavy load activities with the lesser RAM configuration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom