Luxo animatronic on-site behind construction screen at Pixar Place

Lee

Adventurer
Yep. Luxo damaged himself.

And is being repaired using the Everest/Dinosaur method...just turn him off and forget him.

As for the lawsuit, I'm not entirely sure about that being an issue. The lamp is still used as part of the logo, isn't it? But yes...clueless is a good word.:rolleyes:

~An agent of SPIRITED change?~

lazyboy97o

As for the lawsuit, I'm not entirely sure about that being an issue. The lamp is still used as part of the logo, isn't it? But yes...clueless is a good word.:rolleyes:
My recollection is that some years ago Pixar worked out a deal with Luxo to allow them to use Luxo in Luxo Jr's name and use the likeness of their design in the Pixar logo. Somebody either ignored this or thought it granted more than that and gave the go ahead to move forward with a few projects that Luxo never authorized, the biggest being a Luxo Jr. lamp manufactured by another company. So even if the animatronic was not really involved, the case with Luxo still shows an incredible amount of cluelessness.

PhilharMagician

I read through about 15 post before I noticed this was a bump. I was in shock that the little guy may be coming back to life, but in true form this was a false alert. :mad:

I would bet the Yetti will be in action before we see anything with Luxo.

DougK

I read through about 15 post before I noticed this was a bump. I was in shock that the little guy may be coming back to life, but in true form this was a false alert. :mad:

I would bet the Yetti will be in action before we see anything with Luxo.

And of course if the OP had NOT bumped this old thread someone would have complained and said "search is your friend" or "there was already a thread on this", so you can't win.

JimboJones123

Can't Pixar do better than Luxo Jr. for a logo at this point anyways?

Walt moved on from Oswald, why not create something more original?

Cosmic Commando

Honestly, I don't know if it's more clueless by Disney or Luxo. I think the average company would be ecstatic to have their product featured so prominently at a Disney park – copyright or not.
I think they probably were. I believe the thing that got them PO'ed is when Disney sent out a cheap Luxo lamp with a DVD. Disney/Pixar was allowed to use Luxo's image for a lot of things, but when you are a lighting company and Disney makes a cheap copy of your lamp as an actual lamp to sell along with a DVD... I imagine they were pretty unhappy.

http://www.bigscreenanimation.com/2009/09/luxo-sues-pixar-for-trademark.html

NewfieFan

Darn, I got excited for a second!

So, we're still discussing this... was it legal issues or AA issues?

If it's AA issues - well fix it!

If it's legal issues - come up with something else (and why wouldn't a company want their product dancing around in a Disney Park!?!)!

I know it was a "small" addition but it was one I really loved! It was great hearing the music and watching Luxo dance/move around. It's what makes Disney... Disney!!!

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Can't Pixar do better than Luxo Jr. for a logo at this point anyways?

Walt moved on from Oswald, why not create something more original?

I dunno if they'll ever abandon the Luxo Jr. lamp or the ball. They're both too iconic, regardless of if they're their most famous creations.

Wannabe Walt

The Luxo Jr. animatronic was a mess. On his first test run on show, he failed miserably so Imagineering pulled him back inside. After a few weeks, he was on show again. His performance wasn't as great, but he worked for a bit. Then he failed again. So again, he went back to maintenance. After about three of four rounds of "work, fail, maintenance..." Imagineering just gave up on Luxo Jr. I think. I can remember working in Pixar Place and watching him dance. He was really cool! But each time they would reintroduce him, he was less and less cool.

Too bad...

Rob562

The Luxo Jr. animatronic was a mess. On his first test run on show, he failed miserably so Imagineering pulled him back inside. After a few weeks, he was on show again. His performance wasn't as great, but he worked for a bit. Then he failed again. So again, he went back to maintenance. After about three of four rounds of "work, fail, maintenance..." Imagineering just gave up on Luxo Jr. I think. I can remember working in Pixar Place and watching him dance. He was really cool! But each time they would reintroduce him, he was less and less cool.

Too bad...

If I recall correctly, Luxo was a prototype animatronic using all electric/electronic actuators instead of the typical hydraulic. Sounds like he was still a little too ahead of his time.

-Rob

Skipper Dan

If I recall correctly, Luxo was a prototype animatronic using all electric/electronic actuators instead of the typical hydraulic. Sounds like he was still a little too ahead of his time.

-Rob

That was my impression as well. Never got to see him. Would've been nice. I thought he could've added some life to the place.

zooey

I saw him once in December of '09. I was walking through Pixar Place and heard the familiar hopping sound behind me. Turned around and saw Luxo do a little show with the lights in the trees. It was really amazing. Very sad to this day that he isn't there anymore.

disneyeater

Would have loved to see him....or Wall e.......or Lucky (I think that was his name) the dinosaur.....or the Yeti for that matter.

Will any of these ever stick around long enough so that I can see them without being lucky enough to be at WDW the couple of weeks they have them (with the exception of the yeti) before they disappear forever?

MarkTwain

-Rob

I think the new Abraham Lincoln at Disneyland's Great Moments show is an electric AA, and he runs consistently without problem. I wonder if that means they've mastered the technology?

pumpkin7

oh frick i got so excited!
the youtube video of this guy in action is awesome. i hope they bring him back some day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom