Luigi's Flying Tires being converted at DCA, what does this mean for DHS?

azox

Original Poster
I saw on another site today that Luigi's Flying tires is being shut down and converted into a new ride at DCA. The site said the conversion would be into a ride with a bunch of autonomous spinning cars that would drive around with near misses occurring using similar technology to the ride at Disney Sea in Tokyo.

I wonder if they make this in DCA if they would also duplicate this for the rumored DHS pixar update?

Scott

DinoInstitute

I saw on another site today that Luigi's Flying tires is being shut down and converted into a new ride at DCA. The site said the conversion would be into a ride with a bunch of autonomous spinning cars that would drive around with near misses occurring using similar technology to the ride at Disney Sea in Tokyo.

I wonder if they make this in DCA if they would also duplicate this for the rumored DHS pixar update?

Scott
Yes, it has been rumored to be themed to Buzz I believe and be a part of TSPL

gmajew

Premium Member
Is this ride not getting reworked really because the ride system is not holding up the way it was suppose to?

Travel Junkie

Is this ride not getting reworked really because the ride system is not holding up the way it was suppose to?

Primarily because it is one of the least popular rides at the resort. It has a very low riders per hour count and still rarely gets over a 10 minute wait on even the busiest of nights. DLR tends to take action and tweak or replace underperforming attractions much quicker than WDW.

There are also safety concerns with people getting on and off the vehicles. DLR has become overly safety conscience in the last few years and the tires are harder to get in and out of compared to other attractions. It really isn’t a big deal but in litigious California, the Disneyland lawyers are extremely cautious.

Rob562

Haven't seen in it-person, but from the videos I've seen online I think the ride itself was a failure. They were hoping to make a modern, more-reliable version of the original Disneyland Flying Saucers but the ride cars had to be re-designed to meet modern safety standards. This made them much larger and more cumbersome than the smaller originals, causing them to not scoot around like the originals did.

-Rob

kap91

So I've been out of the loop for a while (and much more stress free for it) but am I hearing correctly toy story play land is now rumored for the DHS redo?

Also...rode the tires...I actually thought they were fun, and didn't really get the criticism about them being hard to control ---- but then again I was probably pumped on being able to experience the flying saucers.

wdwfan4ver

So I've been out of the loop for a while (and much more stress free for it) but am I hearing correctly toy story play land is now rumored for the DHS redo?
You are hearing correctly. Toy Story Playland has been rumored for DHS since late September and is part of the DHS redo.

Travel Junkie

Aquatopia looks cool from a distance, then you walk off after the ride wondering what the heck was that supposed to be? Hopefully they learned what not to do and the ride at DCA turns out much better.

RMichael21

Yeah, as @IDInstitute and others have said, it's rumored to become a new ride in Toy Story Playland themed to Buzz. Also, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is rumored to be re-themed as Woody's Roundup.

When I rode this ride back in July, it was the middle of the day and we waited for the current cycle to finish. It's a really slow loading and unloading process, making the hourly capacity really low. In addition, when we went, my mother was in boot because of a severely sprained ankle and it was a challenge for her to get in and out of the tire. I'm pretty sure this ride is getting replaced because of the terrible capacity, difficult access for disabled guests and how it's not popular at all.

Hopefully the new ride is a success at DLR, so it's imported here. I would love to see it come to WDW. Here's the concept art:

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2015/02/lululu8265121.jpg

I think a ride like this at WDW will be greatly appreciated.

CheshireCat12

Haven't seen in it-person, but from the videos I've seen online I think the ride itself was a failure. They were hoping to make a modern, more-reliable version of the original Disneyland Flying Saucers but the ride cars had to be re-designed to meet modern safety standards. This made them much larger and more cumbersome than the smaller originals, causing them to not scoot around like the originals did.

-Rob
I've been on Luigi's Flying Tires and while I liked it okay, I can agree on the tire vehicles being hard to get in and out of. Also it was hard to lean and "steer".

Kevin_W

I've been on Luigi's Flying Tires and while I liked it okay, I can agree on the tire vehicles being hard to get in and out of. Also it was hard to lean and "steer".

Agreed - particularly with a family of 3, one of whom is a 4-year-old. It was hard to get us all in sync. It wasn't a horrible ride by any means, but I'm glad htey are replacing it with something better.

dreamfinder

Primarily because it is one of the least popular rides at the resort. It has a very low riders per hour count and still rarely gets over a 10 minute wait on even the busiest of nights. DLR tends to take action and tweak or replace underperforming attractions much quicker than WDW.

It's down to a 10 minute wait? When we were there 2 years ago it was still pulling in a 45min-1hr wait all day long.

Travel Junkie

It's down to a 10 minute wait? When we were there 2 years ago it was still pulling in a 45min-1hr wait all day long.

For the 1st 6-8 months or so it was running at 45-60 minutes all day. As the AP’s got their first rides in and decided to not repeat, the wait times decreased pretty quickly after that. The last year it has been sitting at 5-10 minutes most of the time. A couple months back I saw it at 25, but RSR was at 120 and Mater’s was at 50, so it was a very busy night.

Since the closing was announced it has bumped up again as people get a last ride in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom