Luggage Help!

JIMINYCR

So it looks like I may have bought too many souvenirs this trip. We leave for home on Friday and I don’t think I’ll have enough space weight limit-wise. Any recommendations where to buy extra luggage?? Preferably without having to hire a ride-share (but I’ll do it if I really need to). Mortified I have so much to take home! DH will not be happy 🤦‍♀️
Whaaaat? No way. Theres never too many Disney souvenirs. If DH gives you grief you can always store the overflow at my house. I mean its bulging at the seams now with Disney but like the HM, theres always room for more. And if necessary I do have plenty of room to put on an addition. :p:p I'm sure its all stuff you cannot possibly live without and its just going to increase the value of your home.

Smiley/OCD

I never said I just tossed snowglobes in a bag with no care in the world about their safety. Only non breakable things go in there. and it is surrounded by clothing (clean clothes after washing them. We don't take dirty clothes home.) so they stay insulated.
I was just trying to make the point that with your plan, you end up paying for an extra checked piece of luggage...It actually is a little cheaper to have Disney ship the stuff back home. If the shipping cost from WDW was more expensive, then your idea is awesome!

imsosarah

So it looks like I may have bought too many souvenirs this trip. We leave for home on Friday and I don’t think I’ll have enough space weight limit-wise. Any recommendations where to buy extra luggage?? Preferably without having to hire a ride-share (but I’ll do it if I really need to). Mortified I have so much to take home! DH will not be happy 🤦‍♀️
Disney springs or talk to concierge about shipping.
Also if it’s just a weight limit not space issue you just pay the $30 overweight fee.

Maelstrom Troll

Not much help for your current situation, but the brand Matador makes some great packable duffles. We keep one on us every trip for such an occasion. For your now problem, I would ship and be done with it.

JoeCamel

Don't know if this will help but if you really need a case select it on walls website, make sure it is in stock and order through one of the shopper services. They are not just for food

NelleBelle

Original Poster
We actually got 2 free checked bags with our airlines so getting another roller bag wouldn’t have been an issue. I almost brought a 2nd roller bag but thought that I had plenty of room in my large roller bag—I was 10lbs under at when we left! I ended up buying a Disney Vera Bradley weekender that will be made use of for many a trip (camping, Disney, etc). I had a lot of fragile items I could t check and my other carryon held most of my (many) diabetic supplies that can’t be checked. All in all, it all worked out fine. The resort (Yacht club) only had one style that I wasn’t willing to pay what they wanted and when I saw that there was a VB store, I knew that’s what I would pick (Disney or not).

Everyone’s tips were definitely considered and may come in handy in the future!! Thanks guys!!

MickeyCB

We actually got 2 free checked bags with our airlines so getting another roller bag wouldn’t have been an issue. I almost brought a 2nd roller bag but thought that I had plenty of room in my large roller bag—I was 10lbs under at when we left! I ended up buying a Disney Vera Bradley weekender that will be made use of for many a trip (camping, Disney, etc). I had a lot of fragile items I could t check and my other carryon held most of my (many) diabetic supplies that can’t be checked. All in all, it all worked out fine. The resort (Yacht club) only had one style that I wasn’t willing to pay what they wanted and when I saw that there was a VB store, I knew that’s what I would pick (Disney or not).

Everyone’s tips were definitely considered and may come in handy in the future!! Thanks guys!!
Love those Vera Bradley bags, but most important, did you have fun on your trip?!

NelleBelle

Original Poster
Love those Vera Bradley bags, but most important, did you have fun on your trip?!
We had an amazing time on our trip! It went by too fast, of course. I was a little sad I didn’t get to see much of my favorite park, Epcot, and we were right at YC!! But my mom had a really hard time with her balance. I really wish she had rented a scooter but she wasn’t ready for one. She just hung onto me and we went slow. I really wish they offered bounce-back offers as I would have totally have booked one. I adored YC and will have a hard time staying somewhere else. Our room was in a perfect location. Cast was great. Only drawback—bus transportation absolutely sucked! We waited 45 min for pick up at MK to return back to our resort. Waited 35 at AK to return. So frustrating to pay that price for a deluxe and watch every other resort get bus service twice over before your bus ever comes. We ended up using Lyft a lot. Will rent a car, like we usually do, next time. But awesome trip! Better masking than at home here in Seattle (in Orlando in general!! 😁

MickeyCB

We had an amazing time on our trip! It went by too fast, of course. I was a little sad I didn’t get to see much of my favorite park, Epcot, and we were right at YC!! But my mom had a really hard time with her balance. I really wish she had rented a scooter but she wasn’t ready for one. She just hung onto me and we went slow. I really wish they offered bounce-back offers as I would have totally have booked one. I adored YC and will have a hard time staying somewhere else. Our room was in a perfect location. Cast was great. Only drawback—bus transportation absolutely sucked! We waited 45 min for pick up at MK to return back to our resort. Waited 35 at AK to return. So frustrating to pay that price for a deluxe and watch every other resort get bus service twice over before your bus ever comes. We ended up using Lyft a lot. Will rent a car, like we usually do, next time. But awesome trip! Better masking than at home here in Seattle (in Orlando in general!! 😁
Excellent!!
It is a little frustrating when a family member could use a little help and is a little stubborn!
In my Oct. trip report I do a significant amount of complaining about that! 🤣
The bus situation does frustrate me also. I find it interesting how Disney varies in it's appreciation of deluxe goers. No transportation differences (or worse), and if you aren't DVC charge more for a parking spot!!
Are you going to post a trip report?

NelleBelle

Original Poster
Excellent!!
It is a little frustrating when a family member could use a little help and is a little stubborn!
In my Oct. trip report I do a significant amount of complaining about that! 🤣
The bus situation does frustrate me also. I find it interesting how Disney varies in it's appreciation of deluxe goers. No transportation differences (or worse), and if you aren't DVC charge more for a parking spot!!
Are you going to post a trip report?
I plan to work on it tomorrow when I’m substitute teaching (my first time)—I’m left giving a bunch of high school students tests, work sheets and self-reading in history and religion so I should have plenty of time to work on that 😛

Pepper's Ghost

I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but my last trip several years ago I stayed off site and rented a car... it sucked at least for MK. We had to park at the Transportation Center, and then ride a parking tram, to the Monorail, etc., etc. IMO, that was far worse than waiting for a resort bus. Is there a better way with a rental?

danyoung56

I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but my last trip several years ago I stayed off site and rented a car... it sucked at least for MK. We had to park at the Transportation Center, and then ride a parking tram, to the Monorail, etc., etc. IMO, that was far worse than waiting for a resort bus. Is there a better way with a rental?

For me it's a matter of perception. It may actually take me longer to drive to the TTC, take the tram, and then take a monorail or ferry, as opposed to just bussing in from my resort. But I just can't stand waiting on a bus - I feel like I'm wasting so much time!

Pepper's Ghost

For me it's a matter of perception. It may actually take me longer to drive to the TTC, take the tram, and then take a monorail or ferry, as opposed to just bussing in from my resort. But I just can't stand waiting on a bus - I feel like I'm wasting so much time!
It's funny that the Transportation Center, tram, and Monorail were like pulling teeth for me. It was so tedious and painful, while simply waiting for the bus, talking about the day and chilling out until we got on one was much more relaxing. 😁 It's not ideal obviously, but it's better than waiting two or three times for different modes of transport. THAT was a waste of time. Can't wait until Disney buys the Star Trek franchise so they can just teleport people around the resort. 🤪 "Snotty! Beam me up!"
beam me.gif

NelleBelle

Original Poster
I will say that typically when we rent the car and are onsite, we do generally take the bus to MK. This last trip was really a first for me as far as having to wait that long for a bus. We must have had a Disney curse on us or something. I typically didn't mind waiting for the bus at the Springs waiting to go back. But I am totally with @danyoung56 with the waiting for the MK transportation to get to the MK parking lot--it's must awful!! DH said he really liked the option of walking to the MK when we stayed at Contemporary, but I have to give it to YC for all the conveniences of Epcot, skyliner, HS--we never waited for a boat. I think overall we like having the option of having our rental car for the ease in getting to other resorts for dining and not spending $ on rideshare (once or twice a trip isn't bad, but we were using them once or twice a day and that started to add up)!

danyoung56

But Pepper's Ghost was staying OFF site. Some hotels have their own busses, but they don't run nearly as often as the onsite busses do. I can't think of a fix for your situation, PG.

NelleBelle

Original Poster
Sorry @Pepper's Ghost, for offsite, there really isn't a great solution to that. When we've stayed offsite, we just have to flip a coin as to whether we do the monorail or the ferry. I'm not a fan of either, really (although when I rode the monorail a few weeks ago, it seemed to have lost its malodorous issue)!

MickeyLuv'r

I've used the reusable Disney shopping bags as carryon luggage and checked my usual carryon. Only a few bucks and works fine in the overhead and under the seat.
I can always ID an arriving Orlando flight at the airport, because approximately 1/3 of the passengers are carrying WDW plastic bags as their carry-on/personal item.

In all seriousness, the WDW plastic bags themselves have worked many times over for me just fine. For a short time, WDW tried to do away with them, but they are back. The reusable bags are also very inexpensive, sturdier, and make great gift wrapping!

Another possible option is to pack items one reusable/plastic bag inside the other, with the inside bag upside down.

The items in the WDW shopping bag could be anything: gift shop items, clothes, etc.

Another option is to cull a few non-valuable items, if culling costs less than shipping/buying a bag. Partially used toiletries, old socks, etc.

Pepper's Ghost

Sorry @Pepper's Ghost, for offsite, there really isn't a great solution to that. When we've stayed offsite, we just have to flip a coin as to whether we do the monorail or the ferry. I'm not a fan of either, really (although when I rode the monorail a few weeks ago, it seemed to have lost its malodorous issue)!
I agree. That time off site was an experiment. I never stayed off site and decided to stay in a less expensive luxury hotel. That won't happen again. 😁 Saving money was fine, but the experience just wasn't the same. Was just wondering if staying on site with a car was somehow better than staying off site with a car. Don't think it is though.

MickeyLuv'r

I agree. That time off site was an experiment. I never stayed off site and decided to stay in a less expensive luxury hotel. That won't happen again. 😁 Saving money was fine, but the experience just wasn't the same. Was just wondering if staying on site with a car was somehow better than staying off site with a car. Don't think it is though.
If we arrive early to MK, we've had very good luck getting a parking that is only a very short walk to the TTC. It actually comparable to staying at the Poly, especially now while the Poly resort monorail is being renovated. Mind, Poly is currently offering a bus to MK, so you personally would be able to take a bus.

The other tidbit when staying at the Poly is that the walk from one's room to the Poly resort monorail stop is variable. Always, the Resort Monorail platform is up on the second level. (same thing at GF) There are stairs for those who can take stairs, but folks with strollers/other mobility devices/can't use stairs have to take the small, cramped elevators to get to the upper floor. Taking the TTC is often easier/faster than taking the resort monorail.

Another - perhaps- factor is where you plan to go after MK, like park hopping and resort dining.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom