Luca, new Summer 2021 Pixar Film

Jabbas

Wow, the animation is absolutely stunning. I’m giving it a re-watch for that alone. It was really cute. I was not a fan of those parent terrorizing those kids either.

Sir_Cliff

I really loved the film and thought the writing was quite smart in terms of the nature of the different friendships between the main characters and even the subtext of secretly being a sea monster.

I agree there were a few things that didn't quite make sense such as the parents suddenly showing up and splashing all the kids to reveal which was their son. On a related note, the resolution of the race also seemed a little too quick to be plausible considering what we had been told about the entire culture of the town. Still, I thought it was a really lovely, intelligent film that I will probably watch again. The Italian setting and the beautiful animation also didn't hurt as it was a rather nice world to inhabit!

Brummyboy92

Really great film, and a bit simpler than other Pixar classics. I found it quite an easy watch, and it did not take much thinking, which is something Pixar have not had the opportunity to do in the past. I liked all the characters, the visuals were stunning, the music was great, and they got the villain spot on.

I felt the town accepted them quite quickly at the end, which seemed off to me. Maybe when the towns folk had them surrounded with spears, calling them monsters, etc, Giulia could have jumped in with some cheesy yet classic, "look at yourselves, whose the real monsters here". But overall I liked it, defiantly better than Onward, & maybe on par with Soul for me.

mf1972

very sharp animation, especially on a 4K tv. not a bad movie. unless i missed it, was john ratzenberger anywhere in the movie? can’t recall hearing his voice.

tcool123

very sharp animation, especially on a 4K tv. not a bad movie. unless i missed it, was john ratzenberger anywhere in the movie? can’t recall hearing his voice.
Nope the first Pixar film where he has no representation at all, Soul abstained from having his voice however his likeness was utilized in the film.

DCLcruiser

We liked it a lot. Not saying it will be a classic, but it was very good. As an Italian-American I really liked how Italian the movies was...granted the Vespa advertising was a bit much.

After taking an Italian class a few years ago before a trip I was happy to see that I could understand a good amount of it.

Although I don't recall the back story of "Santa Mozzarella!"

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Watched this and although the film was visually fantastic I was kind of meh about the story. It wasn't a bad film but just a one and done for me.

Fox&Hound

I hate to say this, but we watched it over the weekend and it was a bit “meh” for all of us. Absolutely beautiful animation but the story felt weak and like it has been done a million times before: the character who wants to leave their world for the excitement of another but their parents will not let them (Little Mermaid, Tangled, Cinderella, Moana, etc). And it just seemed like they did it better. The resolution at the end was too easy and you never really believed their was a conflict. Everything just tied up in a neat little bow and it lacked the sophistication I have come to expect from Pixar.

I want to watch it again and see if it comes off better during a second viewing. Likable characters in a beautiful world but I just wish they took the theme further and made more of a unique statement.

erasure fan1

The resolution at the end was too easy and you never really believed their was a conflict. Everything just tied up in a neat little bow and it lacked the sophistication I have come to expect from Pixar.
This was the most glaring thing for me. It went from death to all to lets have lunch in all of 4 seconds.

I liked it more than Raya but its still a one and done for me I think. It seems that they just haven't figured things out post Lasseter yet.

waltography

Finally got around to watching and it's a charming little gem of a film. Animation is gorgeous (it's nice to see the director's style in more features, it's refreshing from the typical Pixar look), story is light on its feet, and it really made me miss Italy.

If anything, I think the movie doesn't really let us indulge in the story and animation long enough, which is why it can feel a little rushed. It felt like the whole movie was a montage at times because of it.

Ripken10

We enjoyed it, but don't think it is Pixar's best or even close. What surprised me is how much our 2 year old son likes it. He has watched at least 20 times now (go to movie for car now). He has been more interested in it (actually sat and watched it) as much as any movie. It's nice to have a new movie to his rotation that we don't know every line to yet.

NateD1226

Mo from StreamrNews has kindly forwarded me information from his source regarding a Luca survey sent out by Disney+. While I’ve been asked not to share the screenshots, I can tell you the questions asked.
  • “Have you heard of the Disney+ original movie Luca?”
  • “To the best of your knowledge, how likely would each household member below be to watch another movie involving the characters and world of Luca if it became available?”
  • “If Luca had been available to see in a normal and safe theatrical environment, how interested would you have been to see Luca in the cinema?”
While surveys aren’t completely unusual for Disney to send out, it is interesting to see them openly ask if viewers would watch another movie involving the characters and world of Luca. Whether another film is in development is still unknown, but this does somewhat confirm that Disney is happy with the reception Luca has received.

The third question also indicates that this “additional movie” could skip Disney+ and instead receive a traditional cinema release. Luca was originally scheduled for cinemas with a June 18th, 2021 release in the US, but was pulled and instead made a Disney+ Original Movie while still retaining a cinema release in markets where Disney+ is not yet available. Considering that Pixar employees were not happy with two of their movies skipping theatres (and also Priemere Access), it’s not too surprising to see that Disney might consider releasing a sequel in cinemas.

DonaldDoleWhip

Finally caught Luca on a flight the other day - loved it! Not Pixar's most complex story, but the animation was gorgeous and it perfectly lived up to the original announcement description: cherishing "an unforgettable summer in a seaside town on the Italian Riviera." Felt like a heartfelt love letter to the Ligurian coast, and the ending also had me tearing up.

Having studied Italian for many years, I really enjoyed flipping the film between English and Italian - both watches were great. The Italian for emotion / emphasis sprinkled into the English script was also delightful.

NateD1226

Soul made $58 million from China alone (VERY good for Pixar), so it’s going to be interesting to see how Luca does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom