Luca, new Summer 2021 Pixar Film

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Cars 3 and Toy Story 3 were arguably the best ones.
Toy Story 3 for sure but Cars 3 was average at best. Then there is Monsters University, Finding Dory, Toy Story 2&4, and Incredibles 2. All subpar sequels at best.

Pixar sequels in order of popularity by audience scores:
1596132551319.png

By order of critics' scores:
1596132613286.png

The "subpar" sequels must be being graded on a curve since their audience and critics' scores -- and their Box Office -- put them in the upper echelon of all movies ever made.

DonaldDoleWhip

Toy Story 3 for sure but Cars 3 was average at best. Then there is Monsters University, Finding Dory, Toy Story 2&4, and Incredibles 2. All subpar sequels at best.
Strange how Incredibles 2 and TS4 were so widely acclaimed. I found Incredibles to be a really fun watch in theaters (more as an animated action flick than anything), but within weeks YouTube had picked it apart with totally logical arguments and I can't look at it the same way. It's just so vacuous compared to the first, which had something interesting to say. The second kind of did, then completely gave up in the third act. Also, Dash had no point and Violet's arc (while funny) was just practicing the same lessons in another movie.

As for TS4, the reviews had me expecting a revelation, which it really wasn't; TS3 had at least two moments that eclipse it emotionally.

Definitely more excited for this and Soul!

Magenta Panther

Strange how Incredibles 2 and TS4 were so widely acclaimed. I found Incredibles to be a really fun watch in theaters (more as an animated action flick than anything), but within weeks YouTube had picked it apart with totally logical arguments and I can't look at it the same way. It's just so vacuous compared to the first, which had something interesting to say. The second kind of did, then completely gave up in the third act. Also, Dash had no point and Violet's arc (while funny) was just practicing the same lessons in another movie.

As for TS4, the reviews had me expecting a revelation, which it really wasn't; TS3 had at least two moments that eclipse it emotionally.

Definitely more excited for this and Soul!

I thought Incredibles 2 was just plain awful. No laughs. No family dynamic. No point to it. Crappy villain, with an even crappier motivation. Very disappointing.

Toy Story 3 pushed too many emotional buttons, to the point of being transparently manipulative, thus killing the fun. TS4 was more enjoyable IMO, except for the ending. To this day, I'm not sure how I feel about it...

DonaldDoleWhip

Didn't the majority of people not like The Incredibles 2?

By the way, I'm in the minority of people who actually like Monsters University.
Incredibles 2 sits at a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes (very good for a non-Toy Story sequel) and received an A+ CinemaScore, so audiences ate it up. The animation was impressive, there was plenty of humor, and it satisfied the pent-up demand for another Incredibles story. The hype around it almost matched the MCU (with the MCU's Phase 3 successes fueling a new level of superhero fandom), and like with The Lion King (2019), it broke box office records before people had time to realize it wasn't that great.

While it was certainly a fun, breezy watch, I don't think it's held up in the same way films like Ratatouille, WALL-E, or Up have. Hopefully Luca follows in their footsteps.

Last edited:

Jedijax719

Pixar (and Disney Animation) pretty much HAS to release original films for there to be ANY original films. There's no way we will ever see any decent original live action films for at least a generation (save a few horror films which are all the same anyway). Reboots, remakes, sequels, and spin-offs will be all that are released if/when theaters even open again.

Fox&Hound

I feel like I have heard nothing about Luca so this came as a nice suprise. Still not sure how I feel about Soul- looks like an Inside Out rehash to me.

On a side note, I looooooved Toy Story 3 and despised with every part of my being TS4. There was no point to that movie besides merchandise and I will never accept it as part of the canon. I thought Incredibles 2 was good fun but do agree that it was way too similar to the first movie. The other Pixar sequels are good at best.

I def prefer original content and am glad to see more films coming from Disney/Pixar. And Luca has a male protagonist which is always cool to see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom