Luca and Zootopia missed opportunities?

J4546

it was a clone, but that doesnt mean it wasnt a huge addition that cost 10s if not 100s of millions of dollars. I think its a great addition to an otherwise lame (no rides) corner of the park. Not every ride is gonna be a one off exclusive, they build clones of tons of rides and they have been since the very beginning of Disney Parks.

yensidtlaw1969

it was a clone, but that doesnt mean it wasnt a huge addition that cost 10s if not 100s of millions of dollars. I think its a great addition to an otherwise lame (no rides) corner of the park. Not every ride is gonna be a one off exclusive, they build clones of tons of rides and they have been since the very beginning of Disney Parks.
I think their point was that it was selected for cloning out of the recognition that there was a desperate lack of attractions coming online.

Part of the appeal of cloning is that the given attraction will have a proven track record and can be fast-tracked . . . well, faster-tracked than a wholly original construction, anyway. It's a quicker answer to a problem that takes time to solve.

But the main point still stands - the reason EPCOT got any new attraction in France was because Disney realized they really, really need to be building more, and that's still the reality.

J4546

i see your point, but I dont think the france expansion was an act of desperation, I think it was something that they planned on doing probably since they built it in paris, but they didnt have the money until they announced it in 2017

but this is just speculation, regardless Im happy with how much Disney has been adding to the parks in the last and upcoming couple of years. It seems like we are in a period of growth never seen before, esp if you count the parks outside the USA. Epcot has/is being massively overhauled with GotG, Rat expansion, new communicore, JoW, SPace 220, Festival Pavilion, Harmonious, and center spine area. MK has gotten Tron coaster, DHS has gotten Star Wars Land and TSL, AK has gone the longest without anything major, Pandora was 2016/17ish. in CA we got Avengers Campus, and new TT with MMRR. Thats a lot of cool stuff imo.

Then in Paris their version of the studios park is doubling in size in the next couple years with massive additions, CHina has Zootopia land and Frozen Land, and japan has Fantasy Springs and new Space Mountain coming.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Imagine if they added an actual ride to a theme park.

Japan has always been the no-brainer but that’s not happened either.
Wasn't there some renewed push to bring an attraction to Japan in the last 5 years or so?

Curious to know what that could have been, or if there's any chance it might still happen . . .

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Pixar has ONE memorable non-sequel film since 2010 and it's Coco. Brave, Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur, Onward, Soul, Luca, and Turning Red have all already been forgotten.

On the WDAS side, Wreck-It Ralph belongs in the parks. Moana belongs in the parks. Encanto belongs in the parks. Raya, Zootopia, and Big Hero have faded from relevance.
Disney thought enough of Inside Out’s legs to add an inside out ride to DCA 4 years after the movie’s release.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Luca would I agree be a great addition to the Italy pavilion but without a theatrical release. I don’t think it has enough awareness to actually do anything.

Moana and Encanto continue to top the movie rankings across all streaming services month after month after month so if you’re looking for where future park IP will come from, look no further. the average poster on this website still continues to greatly underestimate Moana.

yensidtlaw1969

i see your point, but I dont think the france expansion was an act of desperation, I think it was something that they planned on doing probably since they built it in paris, but they didnt have the money until they announced it in 2017

but this is just speculation, regardless Im happy with how much Disney has been adding to the parks in the last and upcoming couple of years. It seems like we are in a period of growth never seen before, esp if you count the parks outside the USA. Epcot has/is being massively overhauled with GotG, Rat expansion, new communicore, JoW, SPace 220, Festival Pavilion, Harmonious, and center spine area. MK has gotten Tron coaster, DHS has gotten Star Wars Land and TSL, AK has gone the longest without anything major, Pandora was 2016/17ish. in CA we got Avengers Campus, and new TT with MMRR. Thats a lot of cool stuff imo.

Then in Paris their version of the studios park is doubling in size in the next couple years with massive additions, CHina has Zootopia land and Frozen Land, and japan has Fantasy Springs and new Space Mountain coming.
That is speculation - Ratatouille was in contest for the France Pavilion alongside Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast attraction. While I personally feel Beauty is the more impressive attraction, I also think Rat is definitely the better fit for the Pavilion. But they definitely weren't, like, waiting for a check to clear to approve Ratatouille. Disney has the money it needs to do what it wants, and then some.

The seeming boom of new attractions comes on the heels of a 15 year period of under-investment. This didn't come out of sudden generosity, this came as the result of Disney spending a long time and billions of dollars trying to develop a way to redistribute guests to under-attended attractions instead of just building new ones that could handle demand. It backfired tremendously, and they suddenly realized they'd better start greenlighting new stuff before $#!+ hit the fan. But even then, despite a billion dollar infusion to a flailing park, ultimately EPCOT is somehow only getting 2 new rides - and one of them is a replacement for an old one.

I'm glad they're spending the money, so I don't want to seem like I'm punishing the behavior I want to see - but it's worth remembering that the only reason they're doing it is that they failed to innovate a way around it. And looking down the line at WDW, past TRON there doesn't yet seem to be much new investment on the horizon to look forward to.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wasn't there some renewed push to bring an attraction to Japan in the last 5 years or so?

Curious to know what that could have been, or if there's any chance it might still happen . . .
I do recall (I think) hearing of that - though not from anywhere I could vouch for personally I don’t think.

lazyboy97o

No, you’re telling yourself something you want to believe. Disney doesn’t plan that far out ahead, had no issue with funding and was acting out of desperation. They need “quick” capacity at Magic Kingdom and EPCOT.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Find the money?

That’s a joke; right? They could rebuild those parks from scratch tomorrow without calling a bank.

Brer Panther

Disney thought enough of Inside Out’s legs to add an inside out ride to DCA 4 years after the movie’s release.
They also wanted to shove it into the Imagination pavilion, but Pete Docter rejected the idea because he didn't want his characters to replace Figment.

Heppenheimer

That attraction is little more than a dressed-up fairground flat ride. Don't get me wrong, any of the parks at Disney World could use more rides like this, but it hardly represents a substantial investment or feat of Imagineering. They could just as easily re-theme it to their next movie.

lazyboy97o

That attraction is little more than a dressed-up fairground flat ride. Don't get me wrong, any of the parks at Disney World could use more rides like this, but it hardly represents a substantial investment or feat of Imagineering. They could just as easily re-theme it to their next movie.
Emotional Whirlwind, which was itself a re-theme of an existing ride, somehow cost more than most parks pay for a brand new ride of the same type. Re-theming would somehow not be easy for Disney.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Yeah, but they still reskinned it to this movie and not a different one.

erasure fan1

It seems like we are in a period of growth never seen before, esp if you count the parks outside the USA.
It might seem like they're doing things, but really it doesn't even start to scratch the surface of what is needed. Rat will net Epcot one new attraction. Same thing with tron in magic kingdom. The studios only gained one as well. technically zero if you count things like sounds dangerous and idol that are gone. And if you want to count Avatar, animal kingdom gained only one as well. So with four parks, we get four new attractions at best. For the amount the parks have grown in demand, they've done very little to meet that demand. They had WAY too many years of stagnation to make whats going on now impressive in my opinion.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It might seem like they're doing things, but really it doesn't even start to scratch the surface of what is needed. Rat will net Epcot one new attraction. Same thing with tron in magic kingdom. The studios only gained one as well. technically zero if you count things like sounds dangerous and idol. And if you want to count Avatar, animal kingdom gained only one as well. So with four parks, we get four new attractions at best. For the amount the parks have grown in demand, they've done very little to meet that demand. They had WAY too many years of stagnation to make whats going on now impressive in my opinion.
1653910111677.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom