LPS Restaurant idea

SeanC

Original Poster
Pooh's Honey Hunt at TDL uses a trackless system called LPS (Local Positioning) that uses a web embedded in the floor and a computer to track and instruct the movement of the vehicle. Here's my idea...a restaurant where the "tables" are actually ride vehicles (Think big tea cups with a table in the middle) that move through a themed environment very slowly, and can also turn slowly as well. The computer would be able to let the servers know where the "tables" are at any given time and they could be marked or simply have table number stands on the tabletop. I had the idea while eating at a revolving rooftop restaurant last night. The tables had table number sign so the servers could find them and I thought wouldn't it be fun to take it to the next the level...combine a dark ride and restaurant. You could do it with a tracked system, but it seems the trackless LPS would be better suited as you could have more seemingly random movement. No meal would follow the same path through the restaurant twice! What do you think and what themes would you like to see? A Rainforest Cafe built this way would be cool or it could be a "House of Mouse" with a mix of everything Disney. The possibilities are endless. :)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Pooh's Honey Hunt at TDL uses a trackless system called LPS (Local Positioning) that uses a web embedded in the floor and a computer to track and instruct the movement of the vehicle. Here's my idea...a restaurant where the "tables" are actually ride vehicles (Think big tea cups with a table in the middle) that move through a themed environment very slowly, and can also turn slowly as well. The computer would be able to let the servers know where the "tables" are at any given time and they could be marked or simply have table number stands on the tabletop. I had the idea while eating at a revolving rooftop restaurant last night. The tables had table number sign so the servers could find them and I thought wouldn't it be fun to take it to the next the level...combine a dark ride and restaurant. You could do it with a tracked system, but it seems the trackless LPS would be better suited as you could have more seemingly random movement. No meal would follow the same path through the restaurant twice! What do you think and what themes would you like to see? A Rainforest Cafe built this way would be cool or it could be a "House of Mouse" with a mix of everything Disney. The possibilities are endless. :)
Just don't get up to use the washroom... :lookaroun

DABIGCHEEZ

Hello, this is WDI........... You're HIRED!! :lol:

Cool idea but, maybe throw some teacup spins in during main course just for a hoot and a Tigger like bounce sequence right after dessert. :hurl:
what if someone had to get up during the meal?... would they have to dodge other tables?

New2WDW

Very neat idea, but there are some logistics to work out.
Talking about going to the restroom - what about that thread of the restaurant on a crane! Just jump to the Restroom...:lol:

Alice in wonderland....eat while shrinking into the ride, drink while growing back, etc. There are definitely many angles to take!

jessfriends

Awesome idea! I like that the Garden Grill moves as you eat. It's like a very slow ride. I just ate there for the first time last year and I loved it! It is different and I liked that. I would definately eat at a LPS restaurant. We just need to work out the restroom dilemma.

SeanC

Original Poster
Just don't get up to use the washroom... :lookaroun

Getting up to go to the restroom is not an issue if the table vehicles move and turn VERY slowly, as they would need to anyway so you can eat comfortably and get served. As I said the idea came from a revolving restaurant that you could easily get up from your table and step off the revolving part onto the stationary floor where the restroom was located (It took almost 2 hours to completely revolve around the restaurant)

WDW Monorail

What a great idea!

This will allow people to purchase 2 or 3 meals each as they would loose their previous meal. Disney's profit will go up!

WDWFREAK53

This idea definitely has some merit!

The normal rotating/revolving restaurant uses a giant motor that is very similar to a clock. Most make one revolution per hour...

DisneyMusician2

I think that an Alice in Wonderland theme might be fun, and would finally bring her to WDW....

And the MK could use some more sit-down dining if they could fit it in.

I really love the idea!:wave:

DisneyMarg

This is what they need to do for those restaurants where people fight for the window view of Wishes, Illuminations, or whatever. If your table just wandered around, then you would never know if you would end up at the right place for the fireworks.

It would also be cool for those restaurants with open kitchens and a chef's table in the kitchen. Your table could wander into the kitchen for a bit. It would also be cool if you sat at your table in the waiting area and then your table was sent into the restaurant when they were ready for you.

If wandering around in general would be too wierd, it could be like a progressive dinner where one room has a buffet of appetizers, another a buffet of entrees and sides, and another a buffet of desserts. Seems like a nice opportunity for Belle's Feast (Be Our Guest, Be Our Guest).

SeanC

Original Poster
This is what they need to do for those restaurants where people fight for the window view of Wishes, Illuminations, or whatever. If your table just wandered around, then you would never know if you would end up at the right place for the fireworks.

It would also be cool for those restaurants with open kitchens and a chef's table in the kitchen. Your table could wander into the kitchen for a bit. It would also be cool if you sat at your table in the waiting area and then your table was sent into the restaurant when they were ready for you.

If wandering around in general would be too wierd, it could be like a progressive dinner where one room has a buffet of appetizers, another a buffet of entrees and sides, and another a buffet of desserts. Seems like a nice opportunity for Belle's Feast (Be Our Guest, Be Our Guest).

I like these ideas...especially the kitchen "chefs table" part

Rob562

...and then someone's table goes off-course, the cars E-stop and they have to evacuate the restaurant while they reset...

-Rob

NewfieFan

Hey, great idea. Stuff like that gets these forums going. At least you have a creative mind but I still had to chuckle at what some people said though...

Hello, this is WDI........... You're HIRED!! :lol:

Cool idea but, maybe throw some teacup spins in during main course just for a hoot and a Tigger like bounce sequence right after dessert. :hurl:
what if someone had to get up during the meal?... would they have to dodge other tables?

:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom