Looks like my family vacations to Disney are over

squidward

Original Poster
Every year, we do a week at Universal then a week at Disney. We've had to use the GAC in the past for one of my kids. So, last summer was the first year with the DAS and with FP+. Needless to say, we didn't have the greatest trip ever. Between that, the closures at the Studios and the construction going on pretty much every where, we decided to skip WDW for the first time in about a decade, and spent the entire trip at Universal. Well, that's that. I love WDW and want to go back, but the family is done (especially my wife). I can't disagree with their points about Universal being more relaxing, easier to navigate and less stressful, but it's not as if I never want to go back to WDW. Pretty sad day for me. I love those family trips to WDW and was willing to put up with the lousy changes, but I'm outnumbered.

I know this is a touchy subject here but Disney has got to start offering some sort of pay-for-Fastpass option. They are literally the only theme park I know of that doesn't sell this option to guests. As guests, we deal with the ridiculous cost of park hopping and the water park option. Why not a Premium Fastpass option?

jensenrick

Don't think of it as Disney being over, think of the good things- a more relaxing, easier to navigate and less stressful vacation! Those are all good things, along with making your family happy.

Plus someday in the future, Disney may win your family's favor back again. Not saying it will, but it might. My mom has planned a trip in October, and we haven't been to WDW in over a year and half- and she missed it.

(wish I could convince her not to stay at AS Sports though LOL. Give me Bonnet Creek Hilton anyday)

willtravel

Every year, we do a week at Universal then a week at Disney. We've had to use the GAC in the past for one of my kids. So, last summer was the first year with the DAS and with FP+. Needless to say, we didn't have the greatest trip ever. Between that, the closures at the Studios and the construction going on pretty much every where, we decided to skip WDW for the first time in about a decade, and spent the entire trip at Universal. Well, that's that. I love WDW and want to go back, but the family is done (especially my wife). I can't disagree with their points about Universal being more relaxing, easier to navigate and less stressful, but it's not as if I never want to go back to WDW. Pretty sad day for me. I love those family trips to WDW and was willing to put up with the lousy changes, but I'm outnumbered.

I know this is a touchy subject here but Disney has got to start offering some sort of pay-for-Fastpass option. They are literally the only theme park I know of that doesn't sell this option to guests. As guests, we deal with the ridiculous cost of park hopping and the water park option. Why not a Premium Fastpass option?
WWWWWWHHHHAAAATTTT??????? I hope not. Is there a reason why you think Disney should follow everyone else? How about everyone else follow Disney. :)

orlando678-

Besides Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World is pretty much construction wall comstruction wall right now, but hey soon there will be less construction walls and a lot of new things like Pandora, Frozen Ever After, Rivers of Light, Disney Springs, a new Hollywood Studios and probably much more!

JIMINYCR

Why not a Premium Fastpass option?
Yes bad trips can easily sour guests and if there are multiple issues involved, WDW can look unappealing to some.
I've been to Uni when it was crazy too, so it's not always stress free.....and I have to admit, they have attractions I thoroughly enjoy over some Disney ones.... but there is a different feel to the parks and different worker attitude by the UNI's vs CM's. These things make me say no matter what, I'd never totally give up WDW over Uni. But Disney is slowly changing and maybe after all the construction is done and new things appear she will be tempted to give Dis another try. Worst case scenario would be you taking a day or two to WDW on your own if that could be done???? Gives you your Disney fix and she can still avoid WDW.
I think they will eventually offer a Pay for FP. I know... this opens a can of worms thats been discussed before.... guests that can afford perks that others cant.... but hey, theres lots I cant do that others do, and expensive items I'd love to have but dont. If I want it bad enough I'll save for it. Though lots of people are envious of others and cant stand someone getting something they dont have.

Raineman

Unless you price the premium FP at a high level, most people will still get it, and nothing will have changed. Also, if they did start charging for FP, they would have to drop the price of park hopper or the dining plan, or the trend towards Disney vacations being over priced for anyone but the wealthy will continue.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
As much as I dislike Uni, the one thing I will give them is that I vastly prefer their express pass to Disney's fastpass.

I hope your family will change their minds soon.

orlando678-

As much as I dislike Uni, the one thing I will give them is that I vastly prefer their express pass to Disney's fastpass.

I actually prefer Fastpass over express. First of all Fastpass is free, express is not. Second Disney balances the system way better than Universal does. The workers at Universal seemed confused with having control over the normal line, express line, the vip line and sometimes the single rider line. Sometimes it took half an hour until they let the people in the normal people walk through, because they first wanted to empty the express line, which disturbs me a lot. At Disney however you see that the cast members are familiar with the system and can balance the amount of people from the normal queue and the fastpass line going into the rides.

Jon81uk

I don't have a need for the DAS so I'm no expert, but from reading these boards the DAS at Disney is pretty much the same as Universals equivalent, you visit the ride and get a return time of the standby wait less 10 minutes.
Therefore I assume the main reason you prefer Universal is that you can pay for Express pass and skip the lines instead of using the Assistance Pass.

I don't see Disney offering the equivalent of the Express any time soon. Disney opt to offer premium experiences such as dessert parties, tours and special events instead of up-charging FP. I think it will continue this way with Disney offering lots of premium experiences that have less effect on day guests.
Given how much was invested in FP+ I don't think they will change to a system like Universal has as "front of the line" is very different to fast pass reservation.

matt9112

So how sad will you be when there express pass is changed vastly?

Not an insider but anybody with a brain knows the current express pass system is insubstantial. I expect it to remain a paid option but become more fast pass like. (Pre arranged) not just showing up to whatever you feel like.

matt9112

I actually prefer Fastpass over express. First of all Fastpass is free, express is not. Second Disney balances the system way better than Universal does. The workers at Universal seemed confused with having control over the normal line, express line, the vip line and sometimes the single rider line. Sometimes it took half an hour until they let the people in the normal people walk through, because they first wanted to empty the express line, which disturbs me a lot. At Disney however you see that the cast members are familiar with the system and can balance the amount of people from the normal queue and the fastpass line going into the rides.

The two systems are not even remotely similar. Fastpass takes a portion of an attractions hourly capacity and (rents that space in line out) the other portion waits in the stand by line. The universal express pass has no connection to hourly ride capacity and is simply a front of the line perk allowing cast members to allow you to (cut the line) so you still have everyone waiting in stand by and than those who paid extra jumping in the front.

Jon81uk

The two systems are not even remotely similar. Fastpass takes a portion of an attractions hourly capacity and (rents that space in line out) the other portion waits in the stand by line. The universal express pass has no connection to hourly ride capacity and is simply a front of the line perk allowing cast members to allow you to (cut the line) so you still have everyone waiting in stand by and than those who paid extra jumping in the front.

This is a key difference, FastPass should spread the return guests out during the day as you get a time slot. I know in reality some time slots won't be fully used, but at least it limits the number of guests per hour returning. At Universal there is nothing stopping 100 people all turning up at 2pm after lunch and then nobody showing up at 2:30.

It wouldn't surprise me if Universal either remove the Express perk from one hotel (and drop the room price slightly) or increase the day price to ensure there isn't too many people using Express. If too many people can skip the line, then no one is skipping a line

Nick Wilde

The main reason I prefer Disney over Universal, is the immersion and theming. I don't feel immersed while I'm at Universal, with the exception of WWHP. WWHP is probably the only part of Universal that 100% beat Disney with immersion. The rest is kind of...meh. Also, Disney is much larger and has more to do, and being a local AP holder, I get more out of the year without getting bored of it. Express is extremely overpriced IMO. But I wish we could go back to the old FP system.

matt9112

This is a key difference, FastPass should spread the return guests out during the day as you get a time slot. I know in reality some time slots won't be fully used, but at least it limits the number of guests per hour returning. At Universal there is nothing stopping 100 people all turning up at 2pm after lunch and then nobody showing up at 2:30.

It wouldn't surprise me if Universal either remove the Express perk from one hotel (and drop the room price slightly) or increase the day price to ensure there isn't too many people using Express. If too many people can skip the line, then no one is skipping a line

It is going to change....there room count keeps going up.... and they just re classified there resorts and such...big changes soon I would guess. Like I said express pass isn't going anywhere but it WILL have to change as the resort crowd levels increase.

POLY LOVER

Totally disagree about paying more for a fast pass option! That,s what I don,t like about uni.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom