Looking for Recommendations for Trying (New to Us) Restaurants

Hcalvert

Original Poster
We are leaning toward Storybook Dining at the Wilderness Lodge. The desserts and alcoholic drinks look interesting.

Hcalvert

Original Poster
I will join the chorus for Tusker House because there are some more unusual choices for the more adventurous, and plenty of staples for everyone else.

The Wave felt like a wedding in a basement to me. The food was fine, not impressive. But I tend to like the Signatures, so take that however you like.

I always mix up the names of the Mexican restaurants, but we’ve eaten at the one inside the pyramid several times and always enjoyed it, despite reading comments to the contrary. We went to a special tasting luncheon at the other one last year, thought it was fantastic, and made a note to eat there on their regular menu soon.

Also - we’re going this month, and you may have pushed me over the edge on booking Skipper Canteen - so thanks!

I really like Skipper Canteen. I have had every incarnation of the Dr. Falls Signature Steak (I miss the yucca fries) and the newest preparation was really good. My father-in-law had the lamb last time and really liked it. Also, there is steak on the kids menu. My son really likes the slush with the apple boba balls for a drink. I recommend Kungaloosh for dessert. It is not too sweet and is really good.

Hcalvert

Original Poster
Okay, this is what I am thinking after speaking to my brother about my nieces' and nephews' no-go foods:

Day 1: Storybook Dining at Wilderness Lodge (no parks--arriving that day)
Day 2: 'Ohana Dinner
Day 3: Not sure (will be at HWS or MK that night)
Day 4: Still not sure--will be at AK
Day 5: 'Ohana Breakfast (maybe if we don't make reservations on Day 3 or 4) & Whispering Canyon Cafe Dinner?
Day 6: Tusker House Dinner
Day 7: Skipper Canteen Dinner
Day 8: Biergarten Dinner
Day 9: Leaving too early on ME to make reservations

For days 3 & 4, I was considering Liberty Tree Tavern, 50s Prime-Time Cafe, Yak & Yeti, or no reservation on one of the days.
For day 5, we might check out the new restaurant at Coronado Springs (Toledo) if it is on the dining plan and has a good menu. Details are not posted yet.

Hcalvert

Original Poster
KONA CAFE FOR BREAKFAST! (Yes, I'm yelling because I get so excited at the thought of it! We just ate there two weeks ago for the 3rd time and adored it as much as ever.)
I was thinking about a breakfast instead of a lunch one day. I will definitely take Kona Cafe under advisement.

JillC LI

I was thinking about a breakfast instead of a lunch one day. I will definitely take Kona Cafe under advisement.
We always book the last breakfast of the morning around 11am so we can hit MK at rope drop, get a lot done before catching the monorail over to the Polynesian for what we consider "brunch." Works out great every time. The tonga toast with strawberry compote and the pineapple macadamia nut pancakes are to die for. And my DH couldn't stop raving about the wasabe bloody mary and the kona pressed coffee.

ctcdisneymama

We recently ate at Liberty Tree Tavern for the first time for dinner and it was amazing! SO much food. It was delicious though and will definitely be on my list for our next visit.
We always do Tusker House breakfast. The food is amazing and there is something for everyone. The staff is incredible as well.
One thing we also try to do is get a breakfast reservation at MK before the park opens. We've done Crystal Palace the past few times. Typical buffet breakfast so the food is good. There's just something about getting early access to the park and then meeting Winnie the Pooh and all his friends that just gets me into the disney mood :)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
KONA CAFE FOR BREAKFAST! (Yes, I'm yelling because I get so excited at the thought of it! We just ate there two weeks ago for the 3rd time and adored it as much as ever.)

^^ THIS

Along with Whispering Canyons for breakfast.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Haven't had a chance to try that one yet myself, but it's definitely on The List!

Three goid options from the menu I recommend:
1. The platter - all you can eat eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, biscuits & gravy.
2. Either version of eggs Benedict.
3. Individual waffle.

It's our go to place to eat breakfast.

Hcalvert

Original Poster
Hi, everyone. I had to make my reservations today.

Day 1: Whispering Canyon Cafe Dinner
Day 2: Jungle Canteen Dinner
Day 3: Tusker House River of Light Dinner Package
Day 4: BOG Lunch
Day 5: Ohana Breakfast & Storybook Dining Dinner (not going to a park)
Day 6: Rainforest Cafe Dinner (brother's request)
Day 7: Ohana Dinner
Day 8: BOG Breakfast @8:00am (park opens at 9:00) & Biergarten Dinner

I thank you for all of your recommendations and I will keep them in mind next time as well when my family of 3 will be the only ones going. :)

JillC LI

Three goid options from the menu I recommend:
1. The platter - all you can eat eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, biscuits & gravy.
2. Either version of eggs Benedict.
3. Individual waffle.
It's our go to place to eat breakfast.
I would definitely choose option 1, DH would definitely choose option 2, and the kids would definitely choose option 3! Thanks!

JillC LI

I thank you for all of your recommendations and I will keep them in mind next time as well when my family of 3 will be the only ones going. :)
Since you're going to BOG for breakfast on day 8, I would recommend changing lunch at BOG on day 4 to a late breakfast at Kona Cafe. Get to the park at rope drop, get lots done before the crowds arrive, then hop on the monorail to the Poly for some tonga toast and macadamia nut/pineapple pancakes before returning to the park by monorail.

Hcalvert

Original Poster
Since you're going to BOG for breakfast on day 8, I would recommend changing lunch at BOG on day 4 to a late breakfast at Kona Cafe. Get to the park at rope drop, get lots done before the crowds arrive, then hop on the monorail to the Poly for some tonga toast and macadamia nut/pineapple pancakes before returning to the park by monorail.

The BOG is a quick-service credit and I don't have any extra table-service credits left. I may or may not keep the reservation anyways. I made it just in case and will cancel before being charged if we decide not to go. The day we have the reservation is a magic hour day. After we eat lunch at the MK, we are hopping to another park anyways to a non-magic hours park.

Laura Loves Tigger

Just saw your post today. My daughter and I did the Storybook Dining this past December. (second night it was open) It was our best meal of our trip! The food was delicious! She had the roasted chicken and ate everything on her plate (she tends to be a little picky) I had the veal shank - outstanding! The apps and desserts were yummy. I had the smoked cocktail which I really enjoyed. The character interaction was really good. The Evil Queen was outstanding! Have a great time!

mickey2008.1

Was just there in December, Ohana was awful, poor service and the food quality has gone way down. Steak was chewy, no macadamia nut butter anymore, salad has been changed. The Wave is just so so, liker another poster said, feels like a wedding in the basement. The hidden gem we found was Spice Road Table, Best service, great views on the water, and the best steak I have had on property next to California grill. Definitely a must, try and make your reservation for 8 and watch ROE. Another really good place that's quick service insFlame Tree Barbeque, we got the sampler of ribs, pulled pork, and chicken with beans and coleslaw, plus a beer, would have cost around $23, but with dining plan, really good deal. And we paid for the dining plan.

Hcalvert

Original Poster

Well, I changed my mind on a few things.

Day 1: Toledo Dinner at CS (might cancel after seeing a menu)
Day 4: BOG Lunch & Rainforest Cafe Dinner (brother's request)
Day 5: 'Ohana Breakfast & Storybook Dining Dinner (not going to a park)
Day 6: Yak &Yeti Dinner

So, we ended up with four new restaurants to try this time (Toledo, Storybook Dining, BOG Breakfast, & Yak & Yeti)

Hcalvert

Original Poster
Was just there in December, Ohana was awful, poor service and the food quality has gone way down. Steak was chewy, no macadamia nut butter anymore, salad has been changed. The Wave is just so so, liker another poster said, feels like a wedding in the basement. The hidden gem we found was Spice Road Table, Best service, great views on the water, and the best steak I have had on property next to California grill. Definitely a must, try and make your reservation for 8 and watch ROE. Another really good place that's quick service insFlame Tree Barbeque, we got the sampler of ribs, pulled pork, and chicken with beans and coleslaw, plus a beer, would have cost around $23, but with dining plan, really good deal. And we paid for the dining plan.

'Ohana is my husband's choice. We have went for dinner for the last five years including during our trip last June. We fight over the pork dumplings, but I agree that the food quality can be iffy on some things like the chicken wings and shrimp.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom