Looking for ideas for places to visit outside of the parks on a trip to Anaheim/Los Angeles

djlaosc

Original Poster
Hi,

We are looking to return to California in either September 2022 or 2023, once international travel restrictions have been lifted.

This would be our second trip to Anaheim/Los Angeles, with the first taking place in April 2018.

The reason that we were looking at September would be that the weather looks good, and it would be the start of the Halloween season, so we would be able to ride the overlays of the rides that we have previously ridden, and possibly attend the Halloween party, if it eventually returns (we have been to Walt Disney World while both the Halloween and Christmas parties have been taking place in the past.)

Last time we visited, we had 5 days in the park, and 2 days outside of the park.

During the 2 days outside of the parks, we visited the following:
  • Beverly Hills Sign
  • Beverly Wiltshire
  • Carney's
  • Celebrities Homes Tour
  • Disney Family Memorial
  • Greystone Mansion
  • Griffith Observatory
  • Hollywood Sign
  • Hollywood Walk of Fame/Ghiradelli/Hollywood Boulevard
  • In-N-Out Burger
  • Merry-Go-Round at Griffith Park
  • Rodeo Drive
  • Santa Monica Pier
  • Tam O'Shanter (did not eat)
  • Uncle Robert's Barn
  • Universal Studios Hollywood
  • Walt Disney Studios (outside only)
We are looking for ideas of other things to do outside of the parks. So far, we have been considering
Does anyone have any thoughts on the above, or can anyone think of any really obvious things that a tourist should see that are not on either of the above lists, or even somewhere that could be interesting to visit, even if not a really big tourist spot?

Thanks for your help.

TrainsOfDisney

The Southern California Railway Museum has animator Ward Kimball’s steam locomotives as well as an operating “red car trolley”

You could see a movie at Disney’s El Capitan in LA.

The Magic Castle is great too.. it’s a private club so you have to get an invite but it’s pretty easy to do if you plan ahead.

You could also take Amtrak from Anaheim to San Diego. Beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean.

MoonRakerSCM

I'm glad you went to Carney's vs. Pinks. Carney's has much better hot dogs, pinks is all hype and show.

If you go to tam o shanter again, eat in the bar and do the carved sandwiches. Those are top notch.

PiratesMansion

Warner Bros. Studio Tour is a solid option and I'd highly recommend it.

Since you're going to be there during the Halloween season, depending on who your group is and how into Halloween events they are, I'd highly highly recommend Knott's Scary Farm. It's a truly phenomenal event where essentially the entire park becomes a scare zone.

If scary Halloween events aren't your thing or don't fit your group, Knott's Berry Farm is worth a visit during the day if you've never been, particularly for Ghost Town and the two classic dark rides (Calico Mine Ride and the Log Ride), both of which directly inspired people like Walt Disney and Tony Baxter and things that subsequently came to Disneyland. The other beautiful thing about Knott's is that it's only about a five minute drive from Disneyland.

The La Brea Tar Pits is a weird little LA site and museum that's cool and doable in a relatively short period of time.

The Gamble House in Pasadena is a solid example of Arts and Crafts architecture and the exterior has been seen in several films, including Back to the Future.

I'm not sure if the schedule has changed, but Walt's Barn was open the third Sunday of every month in the past.

Have you considered traveling south? Legoland is a solid option if you have very young children, or you might consider the San Diego Zoo or Safari Park.

Communicora

Premium Member
I visited the California Science Center to see the Space Shuttle Endeavour on my last visit. It was fascinating if you like that sort of thing.

Stevek

Are you staying in LA or OC area? If the latter, I'd consider a trip to San Diego. Gas Lamp area, SD Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Sea World...the whole area down there is beautiful. Coronado Island and the Hotel Del, Harbor Cruise, Old Town (great mexican food), Little Italy...lots to do down there.

SevenSevens

If you got time on Sunday to burn, the Thai Temple in Chino Hills has a pretty good sized food court from 11am to 3pm or so. Great place to get some Thai food you won't normally find in a restaurant.

The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens - Near Pasadena

Little Saigon is running Night Markets through the summer Fri, Sat and Sun 7pm to 11pm. Asian Garden Mall.

Petersen Automotive Museum

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom