Long stay- split or same room?

eliza61nyc

this will be my first trip doing a split stay mainly because the kids are all coming in at different times so had to get bigger accommodations . generally I like to stay in one spot, i like unpacking and getting comfortable, especially if I'm going to be there for a while.

dreamfinder

We have done split stay several times, usually just due to availability. We book DVC 11 months out, and then can't always add on either day when fights finally get released, so often we have to tack on a night to get better flights at a different resort. I don't see us getting tired of the same resort, but have used the split stays to try a resort we wouldn't have normally stayed at.

durangojim

If you were going to WDW for a long stay (10-11 nights) would you want to do a split stay or would you be happy in the same resort the whole time? Would you get tired of the same resort after that may nights?
We’ve done both and prefer to stay in one room. Let’s us get settle in more and allows us to lose track of time and relax.

Skibum1970

We did a split stay once because the resort we wanted (Bay Lake Tower) only had availability for four of the six nights we were staying. It was fun because we were able to experience two different resorts (Wilderness Lodge for the first two nights and BLT for the remainder) on the same trip. Since we love both resorts, we had the best of both worlds. We don't really spread out in a room and thus unpacking/packing/unpacking was not an issue for us.

JusticeDisney

I understand the rationale behind doing a split stay - ie., getting to experience different resorts and all they have to offer. However, it’s not something I have any interest in ever doing. Once I’m checked in and settled in to my room, the last thing I want to do is pack everything up, spend time moving to a different resort, go through the check-in process, and then get unpacked and settled in all over again. To each his/her own of course, but not something I want to deal with in the middle of my vacation.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

Is Disney moving luggage still? I was under the impression it used to be much easier than it is now?

I have never done a split stay, though I've been tempted. Ultimately, moving all 5 of us would be more hassle than it is worth. Were it just me and maybe one other, I would absolutely consider it more heavily.

We are in the stage where we want to experience the different resorts, so we often will split on a longer (10 day) stay. Some trips I like it and some trips I don't want to move and find it a hassle. Bonus is that you get a clean room but I wouldn't put any weight on that factor. This year moving rooms was fine. Left AKL and went to Epcot at 11, for its late opening. Later in the day or early evening, we checked into BLT and think we called it a day. Having a rental car also made it easier. It was also nice to be able to set the itinerary over the stay to go to parks closer to the resort which cut down travel time. Don't know if they still move bags for you but I found that experience more pain/waiting than the do it yourself option. Moving on a rest day can be ok if you plan it so you don't feel homeless from 11-4.

LAM378

I love a split stay and do it every time, even with a big traveling party and small children, and it’s exponentially easier if you don’t have a large party and small kids.

The key is organized packing before you leave home. Everything goes in packing cubes or ziploc bags. Everybody’s stuff gets packed separately and stays separated in drawers, all the bathroom stuff gets packed in Ziplocs (stuff that goes on the vanity in one, stuff that gets used in the shower in another, etc). I pack a bag for dirty laundry and another for souvenirs. I can unpack when we arrive at resort #1 and re-pack for resort #2 in 15 minutes flat

Split stays are a great way to experience two areas. It’s also a safety net if you’re staying at resorts you’re not sure you’ll love. Just try to make the less-preferable resort the first portion of your trip.

My only caveats are to transfer your luggage yourself (not sure if you even have a choice in that these days) either in your own car or Uber, and have a plan for those 5 or so hours that you’re without a room. I usually let the family sleep in and stay in the first room til the bitter end, so 11 am checkout time, then have a lunch ADR planned somewhere, then head to resort #2. I carry a bag with everyone’s swim stuff so we can kill time at the pool if room #2 isn’t ready. It’s fun.

Ayla

Is Disney moving luggage still? I was under the impression it used to be much easier than it is now?

I have never done a split stay, though I've been tempted. Ultimately, moving all 5 of us would be more hassle than it is worth. Were it just me and maybe one other, I would absolutely consider it more heavily.
I thought they recently announced they weren't transferring luggage from resort to resort anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom