Londontown/Disneyland Seoul

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
So I wavered on starting this thread for awhile , and figured what the heck I'd just do it. This will be a little different from many of the regular project threads that get posted. Instead of posting only my finished work, I'll be posting my brainstorming and thoughts along the way giving insight to scrapped ideas, why I'm thinking whatever the heck I'm thinking, etc

One of the things I enjoy most about this forum and the work that gets done is the decision making and thought that goes into what to do for each project. This is most evident in team competitions, where as both a team member and as host ive had the chance to see this first hand, and also with the few Club 32 projects that have come about since last seasons Creator Games.

I'm hoping too it will give me the push to keep working even when life gets crazy, but challenge myself a little. And if you want to call me nuts along the way for going a certain direction you can do that too. ;) Hopefully you all enjoy this slightly different take and a trip through my brain. Haha.

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Where to begin:

So this initially started as one attraction idea about 6 months ago. While getting everything ready for The Great Movie Ride, one of my prompts was for the teams to take a Disney attraction and merge it with a new restaurant somehow (I'll link the amazing results here later) like the Mexico Pavilion at Epcot. Etc. I really had no idea what they'd do but it got me thinking on the possibilities and what unique projects would it bring for the competitors.

One of my thoughts was to take Peter Pan and combine it with a new streets of London restaurant. I thought there had to be someway to work in the initial part of the flight through London as guests dine in the background. I'll post some of the early sketches I did at work later.

The more I contemplated the flight and restaurant the less I liked it but came up with a different take of turning Pan into a boat ride. While nixing the whole you can fly bit seems insane, I wanted to do something different but also make the attraction work a little more seamlessly with the restaurant. I also felt this would give the opportunity for a new story and adventure with Pan and maybe with a few clever effects and drops, still make the boat seem like it's in flight at some point.

As I though more about this project I tried to picture working it into a larger Fantasyland area. With mind in full blown imagineering at the time, I decided it needed to be part of a London themed area. So many great Disney films take place in the area and I felt it would make for a good project for me (little did I know moving would be as painful and drag out as long as it did, rendering free time almost nil).

After much internal debate, I settled on the Pan attraction/restaurant, a 101 dalmatians dark ride, and a small Mary Poppins area with carousel and a new show , The Chimney sweep Revue ( or something like that) focusing primarily on songs and acrobatic dance from the sweeps.

I'll start posting some of those early rough, rough sketches today and tomorrow and pick up my thoughts from there. Glad to have this back on mind and hope you all enjoy the read, thoughts, etc. I may be asking for an occasion lifeline (phone an Imagineer anyone) for you experts on ride tech, maps, etc

As my mind races on, I'm formulating ideas for this area to be in a new park, but one job at a time!

D Hulk

Neat idea, Dad! Looking forward to watching your ideas develop. For some reason, the 101 Dalmatians dark ride intrigues me the most; seems perfect for the Mr. Toad's Wild Ride approach.

One more oft-overlooked Disney tale you could set in London...The Great Mouse Detective. Oh, right, and Mr. Toad as well, although that's arguably more prominently set in the British countryside. Come to think of it, so is Alice, so there's plenty more to choose from!

To say nothing about forested medieval England, which could also add Robin Hood and The Sword in the Stone to your list.

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Haven't forgot about this. Had some technical work on my printer/scanner to do to.upload some of the early really rough sketches. Will get those uploaded by new years. That and I think I've let myself get sucked into SYWTBAI and been in SW mode last few days when I have a spare moment. And now a last minute mountain trip (no not Dream Mtn) for some death defying tubing action. :)

Neat idea, Dad! Looking forward to watching your ideas develop. For some reason, the 101 Dalmatians dark ride intrigues me the most; seems perfect for the Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
That's kind of where I'm leaning actually when I get to it. Just love that movie, the art style and the little bit of music there is. I had a rough idea for it along those lines a couple of years ago with the duel tracks, different story vantage points, etc but beyond just putting a basic description to it, never fully fleshed it out with any layouts, art, storyboarding, etc. May totally change as I delve into it, but we shall see.

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
So I have been wanting to resurrect this for many a month but comps and life been in the way. This initially was going to be just a restaurant/ride combo from a spark from GMR last summer. The more I thought the last few months I definitely want to give a go at a full blown park. I've had some semblance of a potential lineup formulating, and as my mind wanders you'll probably see it change frequently until finalized.

My goal. 1 attraction every 2-3 weeks. It may take a year, but that way I can have a loose schedule but give myself a goal even if I'm doing other comps, etc. I also want to do art, maps and experiment along the way on each one so that each is fully detailed.

Plus, I want to get my Pan ride fully fleshed out before I hear anything of consequence about the new one in Tokyo. And I swear, when I post my initial quick draws from last summer of the pan restaurant, there's 2 dining areas (London and neverland). I just wasn't so sure at the time I could make the space and attraction work with 2 dining areas.

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
So going to probably be a number of posts tonight here. Some just to recap where I started, what I've been thinking and where I plan to go. As I mentioned in December when I started this, this is very much a working Imagineering thread. You're likely to see things not used, maps changed, rides scrapped, etc. I imagine as I work on this, i'll figure out some new things and maybe go back and update previous work, etc. or maybe one of you brilliant people sparks a new idea. Along the way though hope you have some fun with it too and not just see the finished product, but all the brainstorming that goes into it. I guess it's an Imagineering workbook meets diary, meets drawing board, meets whatever.

I mentioned that this sprang from one ride/restaurant to a mini London area and then to a whole park and I have you all to thank for that. Once I got started thinking, I just couldn't stop. So many of you have done some amazing park projects.
So rough, rough early draft of part of a park line up. I think I did this part maybe Jan/Feb. No park name or location yet and have not even thought about entrance, but planning for this to be a castle park of some sort.

Fantasy Village
Londontown - Peter Pan Boat Ride and Restaurant, 101 Dalmations Ride, Mary Poppins Carousel, Chimney Sweep Revue, Lost Boys Lounge
potentially one other smaller scale attraction. D Hindley gave some good suggestions many a month ago
Paris/France - Hunchback something (show?), B & B attraction, Gastons Pub is too easy not to use, and maybe a Three Musketeers type attraction (likely a cartoon version with mickey/Donald/goofy but not decided)
3rd part of Fantasy Village not sold on yet. Considered AIW mini land, but wondering if want to stick to the European vibe and do a German Village as the 3rd. TBD

Sci-Fi Land
Lunar Launch - coaster, PPlmover, Tron simulator attraction, 626 - maybe a hide and go seek type attraction helping Stitch catch some pretty bad dudes. Still thinking on direction of this land and another attraction

Explorers Bay
Expedition Everest, Around the World in 80 days, was thinking of potentially using Space's Up attraction from awhile back, as I love that movie and his idea. Probably mix in another IP attraction in here.

Adventureland (may go with Adventure Isle)
Moana show, Jungle Book Dark Ride, Boat ride (I Jones, J Cruise, or something new altogether), Volcano Bay Bro (just kidding) but thinking of some kind of tiki attraction, sans the birds

5th land - TBD

Castle - I love the castle from Rapunzel. Not a definite yet, but leaning that direction with a built in attraction or as perfect backdrop for a night/water show.

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Peter Pan Attraction & Restaurant
So this is the start of what started it all for me, a prompt from my Great Movie Ride Comp and combining a restaurant with an attraction. We had 2 tremendous proposals in the Henson Revue and Pankot Palace. One of my thoughts, Peter Pan and a new London style restaurant, reminiscent of San Angel at Epcot.

I believe it was towards the end of that season and early in Fall I scrawled out a few quick ideas and sketches. I used to draw quite a bit when I was in school (middle/high/college) and now getting back into it a little thanks to this forum. No master artist by any means, but it's just fun to create. One thing I used to do was what I called the 5 minute sketch (sometimes 3). If I had an idea I drew it and just threw it out there and made myself do it quick. They are rough, but it always helped me get a starting point of what I was thinking and a basis for where I wanted the final art to end up. sometimes I hate it, but many times the final product ends up with the same exact layout, but a 1000 times cleaner.

1st drawing
This was simply inside the yet to be named restaurant with a streets of London scene
Rest Scene .jpg

Attraction Exterior and start of a basic surrounding layout
PP Exterior.jpg

This was probably a couple weeks after these, and getting a little more thought into the restaurant and incorporating the ride. At the time, was still thinking of Pan as the flying attraction that currently exists.
PP Rest Interior Detail.jpg

Things started formulating for me at this point and really started thinking about expanding from one attraction/restaurant into a miniland. Neverland Hotel/Resort sounded like a good idea at the time. I wonder how many Michael Jackson fans would hit that place up? Here I started playing with the land layout a little, and splitting the restaurant in half by the kitchen to give 2 different themed areas (London and Neverland) for dining.
It was at this point a well I 100% determined I was not doing a flying attraction but would make a boat ride. One, to go a completely different route and story from what's been done, but also to help the immersion/vibe of the restaurant.
London Layout and Pan Detail.jpg

This is the last of those 5 min sketches from last fall/winter where I started to get a little deeper into the ride/restaurant planning. Still not 100% sold on making both London and Neverland work. I was thinking for the transition between the two, the attraction would go through one of it's 2 drops with the first getting you to Neverland . I'm just not sure there'd be enough kitchen space to cover up that drop into the other dining area.

PP Rest Detail.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
Peter Pan Attraction & Restaurant
So this is the start of what started it all for me, a prompt from my Great Movie Ride Comp and combining a restaurant with an attraction. We had 2 tremendous proposals in the Henson Revue and Pankot Palace. One of my thoughts, Peter Pan and a new London style restaurant, reminiscent of San Angel at Epcot.

I believe it was towards the end of that season and early in Fall I scrawled out a few quick ideas and sketches. I used to draw quite a bit when I was in school (middle/high/college) and now getting back into it a little thanks to this forum. No master artist by any means, but it's just fun to create. One thing I used to do was what I called the 5 minute sketch (sometimes 3). If I had an idea I drew it and just threw it out there and made myself do it quick. They are rough, but it always helped me get a starting point of what I was thinking and a basis for where I wanted the final art to end up. sometimes I hate it, but many times the final product ends up with the same exact layout, but a 1000 times cleaner.

1st drawing
This was simply inside the yet to be named restaurant with a streets of London scene
View attachment 292318

Attraction Exterior and start of a basic surrounding layout
View attachment 292321

This was probably a couple weeks after these, and getting a little more thought into the restaurant and incorporating the ride. At the time, was still thinking of Pan as the flying attraction that currently exists.
View attachment 292322

Things started formulating for me at this point and really started thinking about expanding from one attraction/restaurant into a miniland. Neverland Hotel/Resort sounded like a good idea at the time. I wonder how many Michael Jackson fans would hit that place up? Here I started playing with the land layout a little, and splitting the restaurant in half by the kitchen to give 2 different themed areas (London and Neverland) for dining.
It was at this point a well I 100% determined I was not doing a flying attraction but would make a boat ride. One, to go a completely different route and story from what's been done, but also to help the immersion/vibe of the restaurant.
View attachment 292330

This is the last of those 5 min sketches from last fall/winter where I started to get a little deeper into the ride/restaurant planning. Still not 100% sold on making both London and Neverland work. I was thinking for the transition between the two, the attraction would go through one of it's 2 drops with the first getting you to Neverland . I'm just not sure there'd be enough kitchen space to cover up that drop into the other dining area.

View attachment 292334
I think your kitchen concept might work - I was just looking at Hoop De Doo and thinking of some other restaurants at WDW that use tiered seating. For this I'm assuming you'd share the same kitchen for both dining locations, it'd just be on the lower floor with Neverland, and London would basically be the second tier of the restaurant!

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
I think your kitchen concept might work - I was just looking at Hoop De Doo and thinking of some other restaurants at WDW that use tiered seating. For this I'm assuming you'd share the same kitchen for both dining locations, it'd just be on the lower floor with Neverland, and London would basically be the second tier of the restaurant!

Yeah, definitely shared kitchen. Kind of like BOG with the different themed rooms, but a kitchen in the middle and ride sandwiched around it. I think realistically it'd have to be a minor drop. Anything too long would result in an abnormally long kitchen. I think if I keep that general layout with the dining rooms "pinched" near the entry and then fan the kitchen out from there I can give myself at least a little space to have a drop from the London room and arrive in the neverland room. May turn out goofy, but been fun mulling it over.

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
So, planning to have a rough outline for the Pan boat ride and restaurant in next few days, then work on a few concept pieces and then a formal write up. In the meantime...

Had a few minutes on my lunch break yesterday and started formulating some rough ideas for the park. Never done a park map before so this will be an interesting experience. Not sure if I'm going to do something in PP, slides, paint or crazier yet draw it, but we'll see.
This is early and pretty basic, but want to get myself thinking how I'll organize now and start piecing it all together. I need to get a freaking location too! It was a total rush job in SYWTBAI and didn't really get a chance to dive into it, but may explore doing this in India.

Couple of things:
1. Thinking I'll have a few resorts on a MR loop as an exclusive location. Likely to include a version of team Pixar people lodger. The station at the bottom will also be the arrival for a N/S line monorail for day guests from parking, offsite, etc
2. Basically the entire entry will be fantasy village (London and France as locks for inclusion) on either side with the buildings at entry themed to a village leading up to the castle (likely Tangled appearance wise) eschewing the Main Street theme which I may try and include outside the main entry somewhere
3. You'll notice there is not a straight on view of the castle at entry. Still debating this but think I may stick with it. For those of you who've been to Europe, it will be similar to experience of the mammoth churches you see around towns but don't get a full view until you round a street corner and boom it fills the square. I'm also hoping it will break some bottlenecking and encourage those looking for the money shot of the castle to get in and round the lagoon. Both sides of the castle would of course look nice,
4. Castle to serve as backdrop for night show on the lagoon with the viewing or prime viewing on the opposite side (ad land, EB, etc) of the main entry hopefully helping with this after show rushes with folks spread around the park at not all crammed at the entrance.

DisneyFan18

So, planning to have a rough outline for the Pan boat ride and restaurant in next few days, then work on a few concept pieces and then a formal write up. In the meantime...

Had a few minutes on my lunch break yesterday and started formulating some rough ideas for the park. Never done a park map before so this will be an interesting experience. Not sure if I'm going to do something in PP, slides, paint or crazier yet draw it, but we'll see.
This is early and pretty basic, but want to get myself thinking how I'll organize now and start piecing it all together. I need to get a freaking location too! It was a total rush job in SYWTBAI and didn't really get a chance to dive into it, but may explore doing this in India.

Couple of things:
1. Thinking I'll have a few resorts on a MR loop as an exclusive location. Likely to include a version of team Pixar people lodger. The station at the bottom will also be the arrival for a N/S line monorail for day guests from parking, offsite, etc
2. Basically the entire entry will be fantasy village (London and France as locks for inclusion) on either side with the buildings at entry themed to a village leading up to the castle (likely Tangled appearance wise) eschewing the Main Street theme which I may try and include outside the main entry somewhere
3. You'll notice there is not a straight on view of the castle at entry. Still debating this but think I may stick with it. For those of you who've been to Europe, it will be similar to experience of the mammoth churches you see around towns but don't get a full view until you round a street corner and boom it fills the square. I'm also hoping it will break some bottlenecking and encourage those looking for the money shot of the castle to get in and round the lagoon. Both sides of the castle would of course look nice,
4. Castle to serve as backdrop for night show on the lagoon with the viewing or prime viewing on the opposite side (ad land, EB, etc) of the main entry hopefully helping with this after show rushes with folks spread around the park at not all crammed at the entrance.
Sounds interesting! Can't wait! :D

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Park location still TBD, though kicking around the idea of doing Seoul now or still possibly India. I know Seoul would be competing with the other Asian parks, but with enough variety of new attractions compared to them, might could pull it's fair share of guests like D Hindley who are making the Asian swing of Disney parks. SK actually twice as populated as Australia as well. Trick is finding a good plot of flat land with rail/subway access. Anybody got some killer location in their back pocket, let me know.

Finally finished up my backyard island landscaping, so diving into this a little more. As mentioned, the first attraction i'm tackling is the Peter Pan boat ride/restaurant. Rough outline of my plans to go with some of the early brainstorming sketches. Unless I decide to share some more thoughts and brainstorming for feedback, hopefully next post will be the full write up.

Attraction name: Peter Pan's Voyage (maybe)
Exterior of the attraction to resemble London streets of the time period. Entrance will be into the Darling's home. Exterior artwork in progress below.
PP exterior_0001.jpg

Queue: Standby queue will take you through various rooms in the Darling home, with period décor as well as fun little easter eggs to PP, Neverland, etc. Likely to incorporate a few gradual inclines to get you to the "2nd floor". The final room of the queue you will enter will be the kids' nursery. This will be a show scene set up similar to HM and ToT where you'll start the story.
You'll also be introduced to PP in AA form, and by far the most extensive AA of the attraction. There will still be AA of Pan in the ride, but putting the best here so you can really appreciate it. As great as the AA in NRJ is, it's too late in the ride and unless you're backed up, you can't enjoy it. He'll give a brief rundown of why he's there, etc.

Ride Synopsis: Pan needs you to come to Neverland. The lost boys have been kidnapped or something along those lines, maybe a different story. Tink doesn't have enough pixie dust to fly you all there, but she has some and Pan has brought a magical pirate ship with him. After the scene is over you'll exit the nursery and the home into the "outdoors of London" and proceed to the boarding area.

Boat will start out going through London and pass through the restaurant (similar to San Angel), as you pass out of the restaurant you'll here Pan and Tink telling you to get ready for the voyage to Neverland. There will be a slight drop and as you pass through the fog you'll find you've arrived in Neverland. here you'll briefly pass by part of the other half of the restaurant but will make a sharp turn into the sights of Neverland so you can begin the adventure.

Boat will go through numerous scenes like skull rock, a river through Neverland with various scenes and a finale with hook and his pirates.
will obviously expand on this all a great deal more with the full write up. Potentially guests stay on as the boat takes a lift ramp through a tunnel filled with blue sky and clouds to take you back to London with a slight drop back to the Darlings'

Other Pan linkage in Londontown:
Restaurant - maybe to be called Kensington's or something along those lines. A former lost boy who was the head chef for the lost boys has returned to London and grown up to open his own restaurant. Menu to be fairly varied with a number of british favorites, as well as a few exotic touches in keeping with Neverland.
Restaurant split into two with one half set in the streets of London and the other half overlooking Neverland.

Tic Toc Café - across the street from the PP attraction
fun, themed café/lounge with a variety of interesting cocktails and desserts

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Doing some location scouting - haven't looked too much into it but found some land in a nice green patch about 27 miles away from Seoul, and relatively close to the international airport as well.
vid414.JPG

vid412.JPG

Plot of land about twice the size of Disneyland in CA, for comparison sake, and has a really cool green mountain in its backdrop
vid413.JPG

Very cool. Thanks. I've been @Voxel 'ed at work this week so only had done a little searching south of Seoul so far. Will look into that location more. I found a couple areas south near subway lines, but I think too mountainous. Looks like that's near water too which is nice.

Most of what I've been able to work on this week was Pan stuff, but would like to have that locale nailed down before I get too much further so I can add any local influence. I know mapping is going to be an adventure if I can figure it out.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Very cool. Thanks. I've been @Voxel 'ed at work this week so only had done a little searching south of Seoul so far. Will look into that location more. I found a couple areas south near subway lines, but I think too mountainous. Looks like that's near water too which is nice.

Most of what I've been able to work on this week was Pan stuff, but would like to have that locale nailed down before I get too much further so I can add any local influence. I know mapping is going to be an adventure if I can figure it out.

I don’t know if I should be proud or sad that being voxel’ed at work is a term now gava

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom